Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42
Putting in a new diff today and have to remove and put in new half shafts etc.... anyone know what size the nut is on the bearing hub ?
I know it's different from NA and NB..
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Number:12?
I forget if it's 1 1/8 or 1 1/4. I think those are the sizes if I remember correctly. I forget which one is the NA and which one is the NB though.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Number:42
not Metric ???
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
I have a 90 and the hub nuts use a 28mm socket. I don't know if the OEM and aftermarket use the same size wrench. I've found some of the OEM fasteners of the same size use a smaller wrench than the Grattan fasteners I buy in bulk. For the hub nuts I used NAPA.

It's metric but some SAE wrench sizes fit metric or are within a mm or so, 28mm is about 1 1/8". The nut size and the wrench size are not the same thing. The nut is speced by the size and pitch of the fastener to which it is applied.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
My recollection is 27 mm. The nuts aren't made with truly straight sides, so several sizes may fit.

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE
31mm and 29mm IIRC

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
Mine are definitely 28mm. I put a wrench on it before I posted. A 27mm was too small and while a 30mm 29mm worked, the smallest that would fit is a 28mm. What the Clown was saying about the taper is what is happening with mine. I wouldn't be surprised if what I took off were aftermarket as the car had so much salvage yard paint pen on it it could have been the color of the under carriage. I doubt the guy that put it back together after he put another engine and rear end in used dealer parts.

No tool box is complete without a good set of impact sockets. I picked up a new set of the Pittsburgh deep impacts from HF in SAE a couple months back to work on circle track cars. I already had Snap On 1/2" and 3/8" drive metric impacts but for the money the new HFs are a good deal though the metric set doesn't have a 28mm or a 29mm. Those two sizes aren't in many sets.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41
Those nuts can be a mother to get off the first time. I broke 4 1/2" breaker bars getting them off. Thank goodness for lifetime warranty.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

trekkor

trekkor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
I broke a couple of breaker bars, too.

I ended up welding the socket onto the end of a three foot long section of steel pipe.

KT
Crew for Todd Tagget #42 ( future co-driver! )
Let me set your tile!~ http://www.willstile.com

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
I use a 1" drive torque wrench, plenty long to bust them loose as well. Not expensive at HF, and you should have one to put the nuts back on anyway.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41
Yeah, i considered something that size. In the end it took all my body weight on a 3' cheater bar over the breaker and heat to get the original nuts loose. I'm pretty sure that would have broken or decalibrated a torque wrench.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

fotostars

fotostars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:63
I crack those with my Ryobi cordless impact gun ;)
Used a 29mm socket on my '97
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Those nuts can be a mother to get off the first time. I broke 4 1/2" breaker bars getting them off. Thank goodness for lifetime warranty.

You need one of these... 625 ft/lbs breaking torque

http://www.northernt...t_370269_370269

Or if you don't have air... 620 ft/lbs breaking (the Li-ion version is 700 ft/lbs breaking)

http://buy1.snapon.c...ore&dir=catalog

I haven't run across anything the IR or Snap On won't break loose. Rusted head bolts from blocks that were water logged in someone's backyard for a couple years. Trans bolts, seized rear end bolts. The battery powered tool is great at the salvage yards or at the track.

DES4

DES4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:93

I use a 1" drive torque wrench, plenty long to bust them loose as well. Not expensive at HF, and you should have one to put the nuts back on anyway.

As Tom Hampton pointed out, it's not good practice to use a torque wrench for breaking nuts loose; you stand a very good chance of knocking its calibration out. The reason for the reversible ratcheting head is the occasions where you might need to torque a left-hand threaded nut, not for use as a loosening tool.
Dave Stine

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed," -Eleanor Roosevelt

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
Mine (HF) don't even click when used in "reverse" -- they're breaker-bar solid. Try yours and report back. ;)

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
Jack handles come off for more than 1 reason :king: Just sayin.......

Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Jack handles come off for more than 1 reason :king: Just sayin.......

This is a little off topic.

Glen your post referencing "jack Handles" reminded me of something.

Did you know that in certain parts of the country, that men use "Axe Handles" as a measurement of a woman's buttocks. So if it were really big that would be two axe handles.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

This is a little off topic.

Glen your post referencing "jack Handles" reminded me of something.

Did you know that in certain parts of the country, that men use "Axe Handles" as a measurement of a woman's buttocks. So if it were really big that would be two axe handles.

Now THATS a HIJACK! :crazy2:

Race Engineering

Race Engineering

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:48
LOL

Chris Graham
Race Engineering - Championship Proven
(864) 542-4018 chris@raceengineering.org

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Mine (HF) don't even click when used in "reverse" -- they're breaker-bar solid. Try yours and report back. ;)

I quit using HF torque wrenches a couple years ago. I'd been using them for over a decade but stopped after two separate issues with two wrenches that resulted in an EZ Out for one and a Heli Coil in a block for the other, Put them on a wrench calibrator and the difference is apparent though depending on the app it could not be an issue. On the older versions if you didn't spool them back out to zero they would become uncalibrated. Many tool geeks don't use their ratchets as breakers. I'm all about right tool for right job but I've used a screwdriver as a chisel, hammer as a wrench, etc. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users