Longdaddy

Longdaddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:11

if this is to be fixed, we all should understand the history of "plunge cut" rules, who proposed them, and who lobbied for them (and what arguments were used). I'll start with results of a quick search of this very board (and what appears to be its predecessor). I am sure there are many here who can add more factual history...

2010:

http://forum.specmia...46;t=000109;p=0

Jim Drago

East Street Auto Salvage

"The rules were written to clearly define what can and can not be done in the engine. The goal was to spec a good head, not an unobtainable head, but a good one. There are specs, weights, parts numbers on almost every internal engine piece. The head work is spelled out with dimensions on any and everything that matters. I really see no "gray" areas left for pro engine builders to gain an advantage other than with exceptional machine work and attention to detail in the assembly. Do not underestimate that as it is still a very important, if not the most important part of the process." 

Jim Drago

East Street Auto Salvage

"In my opinion, pro builders who were pushing the envelope on what they were doing before these rules will lose some HP for sure and local guys who were building engines themselves using local NAPA should pick up a little HP by building their engine to the specs with good machine work and assembly. This rule set should definitely tighten the gap between the 'haves" and the "have nots" not grow it"

Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org:

"The new rules will clarify some commonly asked questions and allow those who choose to build their own engines to do so. Like Jim said "The professional engine builder will have an advantage, but it is a lesser advantage which is much better for the class as a whole."

Like many others I have been concerned about the health of the class and as I make my living from Spec Miata it clearly is advantageous, where I am concerned, for the class to be as healthy as possible.

"

2013:

http://mazdaracers.c...ack-sm-changes/

Dan Tiley Mechanical Engineer,Ti-Speed, Inc.: 

"No really, I'll take (part) of the "blame" for this rule change.  I measure the FACTORY plunge cut depth of every port in every cylinder head I build.  Out of 12 heads, I had 4 heads that had at least one port that was cut from the factory greater than 9mm before I had even started cutting!  I even had a couple outliers that were as high as 14mm.  In the SMAC committee we decided that it made sense to open the 1.8L plunge cut depths to the same value as the 1.6L due to the high probability of someone being falsely found non-compliant for running factory equipment.  "

Jim Drago East Street Auto Parts :

"This change was made to include so many of the heads that were non compliant from Mazda. The change replicates the existing rule in the 1.6 heads. 

I have many calls about " do I need to send my head back to be updated" ABSOLUTELY NOT! There is no gain going down the 12mm, if anything it is detrimental as it slows the air charge. However it does make many of the heads usable that were not before. Also, the heads are no longer available new, so we only have what is out there right now."

• MarekM likes this

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Also, the heads are no longer available new, so we only have what is out there right now."

If that is really true we pretty much have close to a disaster on our hands...

• MarekM likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Now I am just a simple man so I may be unfounded in my beliefs, that is why I have continued to ask this same question over and over and those that are all spun up about this seem to be declining to answer this question...

Charlie Hayes posted, "It took until Saturday to determine that all but the #88 failed the protest. I was in the room looking at both the #88 head and my #22 head and yes there was a difference and yes my grandma could notice it"

So presumably the #88 car's engine builder was able to do what you are asking.

Edit: Ninja'd by Bruce.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Charlie Hayes posted, "It took until Saturday to determine that all but the #88 failed the protest. I was in the room looking at both the #88 head and my #22 head and yes there was a difference and yes my grandma could notice it"

So presumably the #88 car's engine builder was able to do what you are asking.

it is also possible that engine builder did not re plung cut...  

I am afraid to presume anything anymore to honest...

also if the tech people were looking for deburring and blending rather then any amount of material taken away would they even see it? I have no idea I have never been in the tech shed like that

K. Webb

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:94

kwebb, your question has been answered several times.  Please do your own research, we can't help you.

• David L likes this
Ken Sutherland
1976 4th Grade Bowling Series-Most Improved
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Number:137

Also, the heads are no longer available new, so we only have what is out there right now."

If that is really true we pretty much have close to a disaster on our hands...

Between Me, Tom, Mark and Steve there's no reason to suggest the end is nye.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

ken sm nobody has answered the question.  people just think its possible that doesnt make it so.  

K. Webb

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:68

Kyle, your question hasn't been answered to your satisfaction because of its wording.  Why don't you just ask if you can plunge cut and still be legal.  The answer to that is yes.  Again, photos would help the conversation for everyone and their grandmothers :)

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Kyle, your question hasn't been answered to your satisfaction because of its wording.  Why don't you just ask if you can plunge cut and still be legal.  The answer to that is yes.  Again, photos would help the conversation for everyone and their grandmothers :)

seems to me maybe not, my wording is not tricky.  i also believe that is why nobody has answered to my satisfaction.  if any material is removed at all form the short side radius or whatever then it would be illegal...  that is the wording of the rules used in this protest and what has this contreversy going.

I am sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that my head has been deburred and I have never looked at it so its not like I am trying to dump dirt on anyone I just think that we need to really come to grips with what can really be done withthe rules worded as they are.

I could look at a picture and i am sure i can tell if it was deburred but dooubt i coudl tell if it was just plunge cut and some insignificant amoutn of material was taken away.  again just my common sense talking here.

so back to the lynching!

K. Webb

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49

Kyle,

Doesn't 9.1.7.4 answer your question?

No aluminum in the bowl area (other than that specified
for the plunge cut) or the ports may be removed, added,
or manipulated for any reason.

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Kyle,

Doesn't 9.1.7.4 answer your question?

No aluminum in the bowl area (other than that specified
for the plunge cut) or the ports may be removed, added,
or manipulated for any reason.

it doesnt answer the question of if replung cutting can actually be done without removal of material, the rule just states in one area you cant remove material from there and another rule states you can plung cut.  Jim said early on it can not be replung cut without removing some material, just checked with another engine builder who said I can trust what my engine builder said.  

Still have not had an engine builder say anything to the contrary, meaning damn near everything in SM is illegal so we can just lynch everyone at this point.

K. Webb