FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I have been using the same lug nuts and extended studs for two years now. At what point have they exceeded there useful life. What am i looking for as a sign to replace either the stud or the Nuts? I do lots of tire swaps and rotations.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Tire swaps and rotations won't do a thing to them. 85-90 ft/lbs isn't enough to cause damage provided you're using steel.

If you find your nuts are getting looser you might think about replacing them. (On the car that is.) If you've gone off track a lot or hit things, you might consider that too. If you can see little tiny cracks, which is difficult when looking at threads, definately replace them.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Tire swaps and rotations won't do a thing to them. 85-90 ft/lbs isn't enough to cause damage provided you're using steel.

If you find your nuts are getting looser you might think about replacing them. (On the car that is.) If you've gone off track a lot or hit things, you might consider that too. If you can see little tiny cracks, which is difficult when looking at threads, definately replace them.

Thanks Keith, we are defiantly talking about the car. I am using steel and I notice I have to re tighten after each run, so I was wondering if they stretch or just wear.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58
I wouldn't be too concerned about the wheel studs, especially if you have quality aftermarket ones like ARP or such. You may need new lug nuts. And remember the crown/shoulder of the lug must be the proper match for the wheel to seat properly. You could possibly be banging out the stud hole in the wheel, it is just aluminum.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users