davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
The following is a series of emails between myself and Mike Smith, Chief Steward of the June Sprints. The original email was sent to anyone I thought should hear what really happened. BoD and CRB of SCCA, President and Vice President of SCCA, Regional Executive of Chicago Region, Management of Road America. It was also sent to any SCCA ‘higher-up” that I had an email address for, from my days on the SMAC.

Gentlemen, I am writing to inform you of the problems experienced by myself, my crew, my customers and my fellow competitors at last weekends June Sprints.

Let me start with my sponsorship of the Spec Miata race. This year was a vast improvement over my experience last year. Although, much could be done to improve the situation. Starting early in the winter, it took several emails to even get a response from Chicago Region. Finally hearing from Ed Locke and then Chris Pedersen, I thought everything would go smoothly. It took last minute phone calls to get the parking organized, after several detailed emails to Ed and Dave Karling. Although the parking arrangements worked well, several of my customers paid for parking, just to make sure they had a spot. Since I could not offer a definitive answer on where we where going to park.

The main track entrance, through the Kohler tunnel, was closed to cars at 9am. Yet the guards informed my crew to go around to the turn 2 tunnel. I was paddocked in the turn 14 infield. Entering at turn 2 required my crew to drive through the entire paddock. Creating a potentially dangerous situation.

Fuel, as Mr. Collins wrote WOW! Having been Chairman of the Spec Miata Advisory Committee for several years, and a member for almost 5 years, I applaud all who pushed for the spec fuel. When I made my first purchase, of the required fuel, the pump attendant apologized for the high price. The required 93 octane pump gas was $9.25 per gallon. Talk about taking advantage of the competitors.

My understanding is that the price was set by Road America management, George Burgenthies name was mentioned specifically. I was told George was concerned about the loss of revenue for the track. I would like to point out that the cars required to use this fuel would normally use 93 octane pump gas from a local supplier. Road America does not sell this fuel in their pumps. Therefore the track would have no loss of revenue. The track saw a potential additional revenue stream and gouged the competitor.

On Thursday a competitor protested the Chief Steward, S.O.M.s and the supps. The protestor readily admitted that the protest was only filed because the price was so outrageous. I was told there was a meeting between Mike Smith, Chief Steward, and track management on Friday morning. Apparently track management held their ground, as the price never changed.

The fuel was only available through the tanker truck from 7:30am to noon. Final qualifying for SM was scheduled from 11:40am to 12:05 pm. forcing all the SM competitors to either purchase their fuel ahead of time, not knowing exactly how much they may need. Or wait until race morning with a scheduled 9:45 green flag. And the scheduling was worse for SRF racers as they had a 4:00pm qualifying session on Friday and 1:45 on Saturday.

The outrageous fuel price basically tripled the fuel costs for the average competitor.

The most visible problem of the event was the grid for the race. The split start was the minimum that could have been done. With 45 competitors, Spec Miata was the second largest class at the event. Only SRF with 47 had more entries. Yet we got grouped with 3 other classes while SRF had their own race. Spec Miata by itself was larger the 5 other multi-class race groups. Don’t you think we deserve a race of our own?

The real issue started with car #81 of Chip Van Vurst not being grided in his proper position. He was told to go around and come back through the grid again. What purpose does that accomplish? Then at least one competitor, #94 Tom Sager, was changing from rain to dry tires at the one minute mark.

After releasing pace car #1 with the SS and Touring cars, the grid never released the front 6 Spec Miatas that where lined up on drivers right of the false grid. Grid workers at the front of the grid sent the left row of cars. Voytek Burdzy going around the #94 (still on a jack) and #9 (Gerber) and #27 (Brown). Voytek immediately allowed 9 and 27 to come around in the pit lane.

At this time I was monitoring race control. I heard the communicators discussing the situation. Saying the field was not in proper order. At this time all the Spec Miatas where still in the pit lane with pace #2. Pace #1 was on track (I would assume in the turn 3-5 area) with SSB, SSC and T3. I see no reason that the race could not have been stopped using the black flag all procedure, all cars brought into the pit lane and regrided. Car #17 of Tony Coello came through the field and took the pole position. This was communicated by the corner workers and resulted in a post race penalty. At this point we had none of the top 12 Spec Miata qualifiers are in the proper position.

At this time everyone knows we have a problem. Drivers, crew, pit lane stewards, corner staff, and the tower personnel all know what has happened. Yet no one does anything to correct the problem. Road America has ½ mile of pit lane. It would have been very easy to call for a black flag all and re-grid the field properly in the pit lane. Yet, the people with the authority to correct a bad situation let the fiasco continue. It is my opinion that the first lap incident between Bender, Berry and Manning, was caused as a direct result of the inaction of the Chief Steward and his staff. This incident caused a total lose of one car and severe damage to at least one other. Fortunately no one was injured or worse. Had a driver made such a dangerous lapse in judgment, he would have been severely punished. Yet, the real cause of $50,000.00 worth of damage, the Stewards, will go unpunished.

My final point will be tech. After forcing the competitor to buy the outrageous $9.25 per gallon gas, you would expect enforcement. But that did not happen. I can tell you that after Q1, two cars where impounded, out of a 45 car SM field, Car #2 of Jim Drago and car #71 of Voytek Burdzy where run over the scales and had their fuel tested. While out of a 15 car, 3 class field of SSB, SSC and T3 cars, I counted 6 in the tech building.

Following Q2, car #6 of Blake Clements was sent to impound. There may have been more. I can not confirm what other cars, if any, were sent to impound. Blake had his fuel sampled and his ECU checked for modifications. Tech personnel used a mirror and flashlight to look under the dash at the exterior of his ECU. Inspecting the metal box around a computer will tell you nothing. Quote from an email from Blake Clements to me “They used a mirror and looked at ECU. I don't think the inspectors even knew where ECU was, I had to tell them.”

Post race tech was just as bad. In previous years I have seen cylinder heads removed and other intrusive testing. From what I have been told the cars where weighed and restrictor plates checked. Fuel was not even sampled. I will admit,that I have no personal knowledge of what transpired post race. I am only going by what I was told by one of the top 3 drivers.

The lack of tech at the biggest race of the year is just unacceptable. The lack of competence of the tech staff is embarrassing. This, following a complete disaster of Spec Miata tech at the last two Runoffs, also held at Road America.

After giving myself a full day to digest the happenings at Road America, I find myself even more upset than I was at the track. As the title sponsor of the race, I feel that my reputation is damaged as much as SCCA’s, Chicago Region’s, Road America’s and amateur racing as a whole.

The actions, and inactions, of a few people empowered with the job of providing a safe and fair racing environment, have tarnished the reputation of a great event and a great race track. I will rethink my participation in next year’s event.

I received a quick response from Michael Lewis, BoD member and GT1 Driver. Although he said nothing substantial, he did at least respond. I give him credit for that

I received the following note from Mike Smith.

Hi Dave,

Thank you. I plan to release a post-event summary. I am working on it right now.

Mike

I then received the following from Scott Sanda, former Regional Executive of Chicago Region, and current sponsor of the Cen-Div Regional Championship TRO series

my email program ate half my email. I wrote an opus, it was fantastic.

So, I'll summarize. George B is very valuable to the track, and in order to make him change, it must be subtle because we need to keep him as our friend as well.

Tech and fuel testing: we tested 1st across the scales and multiple others. How much more should we test? Where was the national SM compliance team that you guys pay for? Spec fuel is, and this is just my personal opinion, useless with the type of testing we can do, as any good blender and match anything you care to spec right at the track. The real intent of spec fuel is to "discourage" hot fuel. it will never prevent it, until such time as SCCA has a portable Mass spectrometer at the track.

The fuel price was a joke, and were I being required to run it, I would have simply gone to the local Cheveron.

You are highly respected by the region, and your support for the Sprints is greatly appreciated.

A lot of us are angry at a number of things, and they will be addressed.

I responded to Scott, explaining that the SCCA compliance team no longer exists.

I next received Mike Smith’s letter. His letter is what Jim Drago posted on this website yesterday morning. I will not repost it.

I responded to Mike’s letter with:

Mike, Thank You for putting forward an explanation of the issues from the June Sprints. Jim Drago has already posted it to www.mazdaracers.com, which is the website for SM competitors. I would hope that this will go a long way to satisfying the masses.

However, I feel you are apologizing and making excuses for entities that you, as Chief Steward, have no control over.

Spec Fuel; First, I am 100% in favor of spec fuel for spec classes, at a reasonable cost. I understand that Chicago Region had no control over the price of the fuel. But Road America did. Especially after a competitor filed a protest, Road America had an opportunity to make it right. The track took no action. Extending the hours is not my idea of action. No matter how much Mike Smith or Chicago Region apologize, this is a Road America issue. And Road America needs to publicly address the issue.

SM race grid; In my opinion, your apology is nothing but a political spin on a big screw-up by the Stewards. You admit that everyone knew the problem occurred. How is it possible that the operating Steward did not know what was happening. Your line about "chain of command" is ridiculous. Timing and scoring is next to the stewards office. It was all over the control net. What was the Operating Steward thinking? Was he monitoring the radio traffic? Road America is 4 miles long, race laps approach 3 minutes, pace laps are over 5 minutes. There is no excuse for what happened. The Operating Stewart was negligent in his duties to control of the race. I do not know whom the Operating Steward was. He may be a friend, or someone I respect. But they need to make a public statement and be reprimanded by the sanctioning body. If a driver made such a grievous lake of judgment, the Stewards would be all over that driver, with severe penalties.

Blaming the chain of command is not doing anything, in repairing the damage done. Or to make the driver, who had a legitimate chance at winning the event, feel better. When Steward negligence ruined their race, before it even started.

Parking and Paddock Access; Although an inconvience, this is really a minor issue. But, it does need to be addressed and settled between Chicago Region and Road America. Since very few competitors will ever deal directly with Road America, the June Sprints organizers get all the blame.

Mike responded with:

I’m the Chief and ultimately responsible. Specific names were left out intentionally, but our Executive Steward is fully aware of the situation.
I’m just not going to throw a fellow volunteer under the bus.

Thanks
Mike

I responded back with:

I disagree with this decision, but respect your right to make it.

The Operating Steward had the resposibility to put on a safe and fair event. He did not. I feel he or she should be known. If not, this goes from a political spin to a political cover-up.

The PR from the event is VERY bad. Your letter helped about 10%. The person(s) responsible need to step up. I include Road America management as needing to step up.

Mike responded with:

We’ll have to see what the executive steward does.
I am also waiting for a response from RA.

[b]And that is the last I have heard on the subject since yesterday, early afternoon.

[b]My opinions have not changed, Road America took advantage of a captive audience on fuel prices. The competitors where gouged at the pump. George Burgenthies has displayed complete lack of concern over the situation. He wanted short term profits rather than long term customers. I attend about 10 events each year at Road America, I will do everything within my power to spend no money at Road America. No t-shirts, no lunches, no ice and most definitely no fuel. Will my boycott affect anything, no! But if George can stand on his principles, so can I.

The event Stewards need to come clean and admit they F-ed up. There is no excuse for what happened. The operating Steward of the SM race needs to known, and removed from the Steward program for blatant disregard for his basic duties. Provide a safe and fair race environment.

SCCA in Topeka needs to make a statement. Whether it is from Terry Ozment in club racing or the President of the club, or the BoD, I don’t really care. But some one from our club headquarters needs to acknowledge the errors and state what is being done to correct them.

Road America and George Burgenthies needs to step up and explain the fuel price issue. I had 7 cars at The June Sprints. I spent $1200 on fuel!

Chicago Region needs to pull their collective heads out of their collective asses. Parking was a disaster, my sponsorship required way too much effort on my part, and track access needs to be logical.

The Chicago Region tech staff needs to get off their lawn chairs and start doing what they are supposed to do. The SM compliance fee of 2 years ago, bought equipment for every division. Equipment included a whistler (to check compression ratio) and a P and G gauge (to check displacement). Yet none of this was used at the biggest National race in the country. Inspecting an ECU with a mirror is foolishness. They never even checked restrictor plates after the first qualifying session! Maybe they should just go back to checking everyones underwear, each weekend. And the event Stewards need to make sure, tech is doing its job.

Mike Smith offered “his head on a pike”. That serves no purpose. Competition drivers make split second decisions. And when they make the wrong decision, the Stewards want our heads. In this case the race official new within seconds that something was wrong. Yet in a 5 minute pace lap “the chain of command” chose to do nothing! This is absolute negligence on their part. And something needs to be done, besides political cover-ups.

I give Mike Smith a lot of credit, for standing up and at least listening to everyones complaints. And many have complained! I may not agree with what he has said, but at least he had the courage to address the issue quickly. But the event is now 4 days ago. It is time for solid action and answers to our complaints.

SCCA, Chicago Region and Road America need to address the issues before them. Don’t stand behind the scenes, hoping this will go away. I won’t let it!

I just finished typing everything above. Thought I would check my email in case someone actually had the balls to do something. Instead I found an email stating the official results where posted. Except groups 3 and 8. It has been 4 days and the “chain of command” still can not make a decision! Is this the group you want running your National Championship race in September?

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports
Title sponsor of the 2011 June Sprints Spec Miata Race
Entrant, car #71

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Thanks for posting the specifics, Dave -- it helps a lot for those of us who weren't there. I would only take issue with one of your positions, and my issue is generic in nature, rather than specific to this event.

We all make mistakes, and it's reasonable that penalties accrue. However, we don't just kick drivers out of the sport for mistakes. I myself have argued for a lifetime penalty for intentional cheating, but I don't think it's ever been done. When you say "The operating Steward of the SM race needs to known, and removed from the Steward program for blatant disregard for his basic duties", you're asking for a penalty that could only be reasonable if the steward had intentionally tried to ruin the race.

Yes, the result was the same. But mistakes are just that, and the best outcome is for the steward to learn from the mistake and do a better job next time. The last thing we need is for people to be afraid to volunteer -- we won't HAVE a sport if that happens.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

We all make mistakes, and it's reasonable that penalties accrue.

But mistakes are just that, and the best outcome is for the steward to learn from the mistake and do a better job next time.

YES, we all make mistakes.

Without knowing the offender and without public consequences for mistakes NOTHING will be served. The procedure is in place, please see rule 7.1. As a driver (me) that on track corrected a passing error during a race that had zero impact on anyone other than three arrogant (yes Tom you will call that word harsh) officals I lost my license for three races. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

7.1. Who May Be Penalized

Any entrant, driver, crew member, organizer, OFFICAL or SCCA member may get penalized.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67
THE G.C.R THE HOLLY BIBLE OF FINDING THE LOOPHOLE

15 MIN ALL IT WOULD OF TOOK TO FIX THE GRID PROBLEM

5.5 MINS FOR CANNON FIRING

9.5 FOR AFTER RACE COMMENTS

OK SO WHAT HAPPENNED WANT TO HERE FROM RACE CONTROL :lol:
Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67
SHOOT I THINK A BRAT IS ONLEY 5.00 DOLLARS

2 BRATS FPER GALLON :o
Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
Just want to comment on our tire changing at 1 minute....

We came to the grid on rains and decided to switch back to slicks. We had plenty of time once we started changing tires but our impact gun failed on the first of 4 wheels. Big scramble from there. I left the grid slightly late due to that but this did not impact the fastest 7 qualifiers leaving the grid. They were either held incorrectly in the rght hand lane or the left lane was directed to leave too soon or both. I started the race behind them all (I believe) about 10 grid positions behind where I had qualified and did not improve my position in pit lane or on the pace lap.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

jigou

jigou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
There are two SCCA regions that regularly sanction events at Road America.

One has a reputation for being friendly and welcoming to all. The reputation of the other region? Well....it's not so rosy, and the word "ego" gets thrown around a lot.

It needs to be noted that this is NOT just a competitor issue: when I was doing F&C, I heard the exact same thing from my fellow flaggers.

I know racers and workers who refuse to participate when one of those regions is running the event.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Jim, I garee with your point of view to some extent. Had this been a split second decision that was made incorrectly, I would agree with you. But this person had 5 minutes to correct the problem and failed to do anything. What if this had been life threatening issue, do you trust a Steward who's only decision in 5 minutes, is to do nothing.

Tom, I in no way intended to imply that your changing tires had anything to do with the grid probelems. I only pointed it out as a frame of reference. In Drago's video you had already left the grid area, your tires can be seen laying on the grass.

Complaining about what happened is one thing. Offering a solution is what is really important. So here is a solution, to keep from having the same problem. Very simple and already used procedure.

The Road America false grid can actually accomidate 3 rows of cars. One drivers right in the false grid, a second drivers left in the false grid, and a third in the pitlane next to the false grid. This procedure was used at the Runoffs last year and I have seen it used often. Had the SSB, SSC and T3 cars been lined up drivers right, then put the leading SM's at the front of the line on drivers left, with the tail end cars on the pit lane, the problem would not have occured. Thinking of something like this is what we expect out of out Stewards.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
Wow. What a cluster fudge.

Keep the pressure on Dave and fellow racers.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Gatoratty

Gatoratty

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:3
Considering that the car count this year was down about 100 entries this won't help any.
Paul McLester
SM #3
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users