Photo

Oracal 970RA wrap vs. paint

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34
I'm considering wrapping my car with this:

> http://www.oracal.co...sp?seriesID=237
> http://www.uscutter....logy_p_483.html

I estimate the material cost to be around $550 (single 25yard x 60" roll.) If it works, it seems like a reasonable alternative to paint for the race car.

Anyone out there have experience with this stuff? I'm curious how well it adheres to primer and how well a light color covers over mix of primer and paint. What about tolerance to solvents (removing rubber marks, donuts, etc.) Will it lift off if you remove a sticker that has been applied to it? How difficult to apply?

Any words of experience with this stuff would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Joe Kalinowski did his car. I think he said $800 with artwork.
Joe also knows a guy that wraps helmets.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
It WILL NOT stick to primer the car MUST BE painted. Ask me how I know. It sucks with scuff marks. I basically have tons of patch panels to hide marks and from a few feet away you cannot see the patch work at all.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51
Covering Stickers with one big sticker?

Talk to Tim Barber. He's done several cars with the same Oracal vinyl you're talking about.

I have a livery planned using this stuff. Already have it designed & the material bought. But like a hundred other projects, I haven't yet found the time to complete it.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34
Great input, everyone.

Mike, so is rough rattle can enough, or do you have to have a nice shiny real paint finish. Not sure whether the bonding issue with the primer is due to rough surface or something about the chemical composition of the primer vs. paint.

Darin, I'd be up for helping you with the wrap. I think the experience would be helpful for when I do mine. Let me know. My schedule is to wrap mine in approx two weeks.

Thanks!
-Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Must have smooth paint. We prepped my most recent car and painted the interior and underbody but only did the body work ( door dings, ect...) in primer and 200 grit thinking it would be fine with the wrap. I ended up needing the body to do quick squirt on the car so the wrap woul stick.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users