Ray Meister

Ray Meister

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:38
Anyone ever try a Cool Vest? Apparently you put the packs in ice water and then they stay cool for a couple of hours. Is this what I see the F1 guys wearing?

http://www.pegasusau...campaign=201107

Ray
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:01 ITA
just recieved my donjoy cold therapy system today. hooked it up to my cool shirt brand shirt and it works fine. haven't race tested it yet but it kept me nice and cool on the couch for an hour or so. i'm curious if there is a cheaper option to drain the shirt and system other than the $70 drain kit?

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999

i'm curious if there is a cheaper option to drain the shirt and system other than the $70 drain kit?

I've never drained the shirt. At the end of the season put a couple of tablespoons of chlorine bleach in the unit and run it through the shirt. This will keep anything from growing in the shirt in your closet or in the supply hoses over the winter.
As for drainage, I use one of those 60 cent soft plastic paint cups from home depot.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

I've never drained the shirt. At the end of the season put a couple of tablespoons of chlorine bleach in the unit and run it through the shirt. This will keep anything from growing in the shirt in your closet or in the supply hoses over the winter.
As for drainage, I use one of those 60 cent soft plastic paint cups from home depot.

Thanks again for the help John.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7
Does anyone have a cool air setup, like the pro-air system from Cool Shirt? I've been struck with several bouts of minor heat stroke during the last few seasons and need to figure out some way to keep my head cool in addition to the shirt. I'm using a hooded coolshirt this season but it doesn't help much over the regular shirt once the helmet goes on. Looking for feedback on the cool air systems. I've got a halo-style seat so a top connection for the air hose is probably the route I'll take during the off season.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Does anyone have a cool air setup, like the pro-air system from Cool Shirt? I've been struck with several bouts of minor heat stroke during the last few seasons and need to figure out some way to keep my head cool in addition to the shirt. I'm using a hooded coolshirt this season but it doesn't help much over the regular shirt once the helmet goes on. Looking for feedback on the cool air systems. I've got a halo-style seat so a top connection for the air hose is probably the route I'll take during the off season.

i have a duct in the window that runs to a bilge pump and then to my helmet. no cooling of the air other than the pump and that alone made a big difference.

one question to the donjoy 1100 users out there. how do i know which pump wire goes to hot?

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:29

i have a duct in the window that runs to a bilge pump and then to my helmet. no cooling of the air other than the pump and that alone made a big difference.

one question to the donjoy 1100 users out there. how do i know which pump wire goes to hot?

Just use trial and error and then mark the wires. I used a jumper pack to quickly figure it out. Fill the cooler with water so you can see the proper flow.
You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
On those devices one wire is usually rough and one is smooth.
The rough one is positive.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Is the Cool Air System like a Swamp Cooler setup?

Be cool to make one "Swamp Cooler" Cooler with Ice Water, but I don't have the helmet.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Just use trial and error and then mark the wires. I used a jumper pack to quickly figure it out. Fill the cooler with water so you can see the proper flow.

On those devices one wire is usually rough and one is smooth.
The rough one is positive.

thank you gentlemen. at first i couldn't see a difference in the two sides of the power cord but after closer examination and clean glasses i got it. daytona in august running ITA and STL i'll be ready.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

mdjordan2004

mdjordan2004

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I have a cool shirt club air pro system that I need to unload was getting ready to list it on ebay. Using another system now. Email me if interested.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I have a cool shirt club air pro system that I need to unload was getting ready to list it on ebay. Using another system now. Email me if interested.

You may want to try the Classifieds here for more to see. I don't think it cost anything.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

RobSpec

RobSpec

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Car Number:09
Hi Steve,
How did the DonJoy work at Daytona? I heard it was wicked hot that weekend. I just purchased a DonJoy off Ebay for $59 shipped. For the difference of $250 versus a CoolShirt system I had to give it a try. I already have a CoolShirt shirt so I am hoping it will just hook right up.
Did you have any water spill during the race? I can't tell by the photos if it seals as well as the CoolShirt cooler.
Thanks Rob

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
hey Rob, unfortunately I was unable to make the Daytona race so testing will have to wait until sept. the donjoy hooks up to the cool shirt just fine (tested on the couch for an hour)

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users