Photo

Grand VS SCCA starting procedures

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Grand Am VS SCCA starting procedures (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you prefer SCCA style starts or Grand AM Style?

1. SCCA ( when the green waves you can begin passing) (31 votes [70.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.45%

2. Grand Am ( You can't start passing until after the start finish line) (13 votes [29.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
What do you guys think?
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:56
I guess with my kart racing I am just used to going when the green is out. When I know I'm not faster in a long run, I use starts/restarts as a way to pass.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
Grand Am method may be potentially more safe (?)
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Grand Am method may be potentially more safe (?)

I think so... So many jump the start trying to pass multiple rows forward, only to be passed back a few laps in most cases. But most wrecks I see happen at the start and usually involve someone trying to jump the start.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
The flagging folks are supposed to call in jump starts, but how often have you seen that happen. It is pretty hard to make that judgement call, the way the present rule is written. With a no pass until the SF line rule, it would be pretty easy to make the call. No question that it would be safer.
wheel

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
Problem is if someone in front of you misses a gear, starts a gear too low, or something like that and becomes a real dog....you are stuck until the Start/Finish??
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

What do you guys think?
Jim

A Le Mans-style start was used for many years and required the DRIVERS TO RUN across the track to their cars parked on the other side, climb in, start the car, and drive away to begin the race.

This ^ would thin (pun intended :o ) things down a bit. & yes I do understand the faults of Le Mans style starts.
  • Brian Ghidinelli likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12
I vote for SCCA starts but WITH more enforcement of jumped start penalties (which essentially never happens). I'd also like to see, even though it causes us to lose a lap, more waved off starts when we have a ragged collection coming to the line.
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

A Le Mans-style start was used for many years and required the DRIVERS TO RUN across the track to their cars parked on the other side, climb in, start the car, and drive away to begin the race.

They also use to race in t-shirts and 'pudding pot' helmets - with haybales for barriers. :P

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

This ^ would thin (pun intended :o ) things down a bit. & yes I do understand the faults of Le Mans style starts.

I drive a car so that I dont have to run :P
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59
This year being my first year racing, I have learned all too well what happens if you DONT jump the start. The first several races (starting from midpack) I waited until the starter actually moved his/her arm to put the hammer down, and I got raped in the first turn by everyone behind me that jumped the start (which is pretty much everyone). Now, I really only look at the starter to make sure they dont wave off the start, and pay more attention to the heard mentality and put the hammer down as soon as I think I can get away with it. :)

Not saying it's right, but it's what has to be done.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

This year being my first year racing, I have learned all too well what happens if you DONT jump the start. The first several races (starting from midpack) I waited until the starter actually moved his/her arm to put the hammer down, and I got raped in the first turn by everyone behind me that jumped the start (which is pretty much everyone). Now, I really only look at the starter to make sure they dont wave off the start, and pay more attention to the heard mentality and put the hammer down as soon as I think I can get away with it. :)

Not saying it's right, but it's what has to be done.

Your job is to stay in formation until the green shows up. Accelerating before the green comes out to maintain formation is NOT jumping the start.

The pole accelerating before the green comes out IS jumping the start.
  • Johnny D likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Den

Den

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:37
Anyone feeling crazy?

Standing starts!

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

Your job is to stay in formation until the green shows up. Accelerating before the green comes out to maintain formation is NOT jumping the start.

The pole accelerating before the green comes out IS jumping the start.

Fair enough, I do agree with that.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Anyone feeling crazy? Standing starts!

Not totally crazy, NASA GreatLakes has standing starts for some of their classes, Honda Challenge for example.

Jason J Ball

Jason J Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:NASA-SE
  • Car Number:15
Standing starts are fun! But how can you do it with a split field?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
What happens in Grand Am when the car in front just falls on its face, does everyone have to just hold back and be passed by the other row?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

What happens in Grand Am when the car in front just falls on its face, does everyone have to just hold back and be passed by the other row?

It turns into the T1 start last year at the runoffs.....

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Pat, same as F1, miss a moment, have an issue & many have lunch at the others expense, say BY.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Number:11

I vote for SCCA starts but WITH more enforcement of jumped start penalties (which essentially never happens). I'd also like to see, even though it causes us to lose a lap, more waved off starts when we have a ragged collection coming to the line.

wave off if feild is not in good order, black flag those who jump

William Keeling

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users