Photo

The #1 On-track Adjustment for Driver Improvement is...?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

Thousands of people have said it before me - but if you're not scaring the crap out of yourself at least once per lap, every lap, then you're not going fast enough.

Once per lap.. Should be every corner every lap.

So true... That's the part they won't teach you in school

Case in Point -- Watch Mark Drennan through 10, 11, and 12 in the 2008 Rose Cup.

Most people would have given up, spun and hit the wall. This is where seat time and talent comes into play Mark just drives through it. Yes, that is old #68 Tigger taking advantage of Mark's bobble :D

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999

Great save to be sure...but quite honestly I would prefer, for me personally, to try and avoid those situations. I think I can handle a little wiggle from time to time, but that really did not
look like much fun! You must have had a nice view Bruce. I know I need to work much harder at carrying more speed into the corners...trusting my car control skills, such as they are,
and rolling on the throttle sooner. Since these little cars we race make so much damn noise, it is very easy to hear what is going on with the throttle and I find the video I have recorded and
posted on vimeo, to be very helpful in "hearing" when I am off and on the throttle. Also, the tendency I have to downshift too soon. Really appreciating the comments....

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32
I'll take a shot at answering this - not because I am terribly fast, but certainly because I have thought about it a great deal and have steadily moved up the field since I started racing towards the front of the pack.

1. Learn the physics of car behaviour on track. Nothing happens on the track that is not governed by physics and the more you understand it the better off you are being able to adjust your driving. Without this understanding you can't run at threshold of adhesion at each point of the corner and without running at this adhesion point you will not be doing maximum speed.

2. Forget the "be on the brakes or be on the gas" story and focus on maximizing distributed tire adhesion. This may mean on occasion that you actually coast (ie. Neither accelerate nor brake) in the middle of a corner or on approach to apex. This is something I learned the hard way after comparing my data overlays to Jason Saini's and Eric Foss's. It's the speed you are going through the corner that counts, not whether the G loading feels good. On select corners I chant to my self "brake(hard), ease(off the brakes), pause(be patient), squeeze (the gas)". This stops me from jerking the car and let's me drive the tires closer to the edge.

3. Get data aquasition and spend a ton of time looking first at how you get on the brakes. Your deceleration curve should (in most corners - not fast sweepers) be like a cliff face, not a staggered hillside. Work on this till you consistently can hit threshold braking in one spike. I found I doubled tapped (and still do) and this screws up your weight transfer and loses you track space. Then work on how you come off the brake - which is even more important and your curve needs to be a smooth downhill curve with no jagged bits and a nice smooth ramp at the bottom. If you have or can get steering data (G will work too) then look at when the car is turning. The curves should overlap at the bottom of the braking in many corners (not all corners are trail brake corners). You asked what trail braking really looks like. You a trail braking well if there is a seamless transition of G longditutinal load to latitudinal load. Basically you are keeping the maximum tire adhesion all the way from braking through the turn. If you have any physics background, think of this in terms of a force vector diagram.

4. Get on the throttle only once in a corner and do it progressively. If you ever lift then you screwed up the entry and mid corner. It's very tempting to get on the throttle early and then lift slightly and then hit it again. Every book will tell you this and I still do it wrong and my data shows my mistake. Smooth is faster on the data. On that note I don't actualy buy the "scare your self every corner" plan. My best qualifying laps have not felt that hairy.

5. Use all the track. Well duh! Actually Eric Foss proved this to me by making me run several laps using every bit of the track and I shaved nearly half a second off my time. Made a believer out of me. Doesn't mean I do it though. Sigh.

6. Watch your hands in video. Due to the physics of cornering, in many corners (depending on the braking approach), you will be able to come off the brakes and simultaneously apply maximum turning all at once. After that brief moment all steering should be ether holding the line to the apex or opening your hands. In all cases a gentle opening of hands after the apex is the goal as you should be accelerating and if you are at maximum tire adhesion then by definition you need to reduce steering force. Do everything you can to reduce steering input, even if it is only a few degrees. This is particularly important when coming onto a long straight. A couple of the guys in Texas last year tested this at TMS and found that an adjustment of less than 3 degrees gave then 1mph extra speed and this is a big deal at TMS.

7. Finally work on consistency. As you move up towards the front of the race pack the hardest thing is not going fast, but making no mistakes. So practice making absolutely no mistakes. You can be half a second slower in quali and still beat people in front of you if you are consistent.

Hope this helps. Hope I listen to my own advice this season.

Craig J
  • William Bonsell, Bruce Wilson, Tom Hampton and 3 others like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Great save to be sure...but quite honestly I would prefer, for me personally, to try and avoid those situations. I think I can handle a little wiggle from time to time, but that really did not
look like much fun! You must have had a nice view Bruce. I know I need to work much harder at carrying more speed into the corners...trusting my car control skills, such as they are,
and rolling on the throttle sooner. Since these little cars we race make so much damn noise, it is very easy to hear what is going on with the throttle and I find the video I have recorded and
posted on vimeo, to be very helpful in "hearing" when I am off and on the throttle. Also, the tendency I have to downshift too soon. Really appreciating the comments....

that certainly wasn't the fast line through T12. The point Spence and I are trying to get across is that to go fast, you will be driving very close to the edge all the time, and prepared (and equipped) to make the save when needed. Of course that is up to you and your comfort level, which changes as you increase your skill level.

-bw

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
So true Craig regarding consistency. Great thoughts by the way. I don't know if being consistent can be measured by looking at lap times over the course of a race, but I do look at those times
and compare them from lap to lap. I find it amazing that on a 2+mile course, times can be turned within 1/100ths of a second. I've gotten into this quite late in life and have no expectations of
being a front runner. Don't have the talent nor the equipment, but I would like to be the best I can be and if that is a solid mid pack driver, who is consistent, and can be counted on by other drivers
to keep it together, than I am satisfied with that. We have a great racing community here in the Northwest with some very talented drivers. I treasure every moment on the track with them.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

I learned the hard way after comparing my data overlays to Jason Saini's and Eric Foss's. It's the speed you are going through the corner that counts, not whether the G loading feels good.
Craig J

Good aha moment for me too. Its all about adhesion, so what if it feels like that's all she can handle (G loading). Maybe that particular part of the track has a lot more grip.

Nice explanation Craig! Now if I could just put that perfect lap together.

-bw

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
A Master at work

-bw

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Consistency cannot be determined by lap times alone. That is one thing data taught me very quickly.

The 1st time I overlayed a couple close laps to see what the one thing I changed between my fastest and the next fastest lap that accounted for the small time difference, I found that lots of differences over the entire course, each one greater than the overall lap time difference, tended to average out and fooled me that I was being consistent.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
And you end up throwing away consistency while you're learning to flog the car a bit harder and that's okay. The useful data is getting that theoretical best laptime close to the lap record, then see how close you start to get on your best rolling lap vs. theoritical best.

-bw

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

So true Craig regarding consistency. Great thoughts by the way. I don't know if being consistent can be measured by looking at lap times over the course of a race, but I do look at those times
and compare them from lap to lap. I find it amazing that on a 2+mile course, times can be turned within 1/100ths of a second. I've gotten into this quite late in life and have no expectations of
being a front runner. Don't have the talent nor the equipment, but I would like to be the best I can be and if that is a solid mid pack driver, who is consistent, and can be counted on by other drivers
to keep it together, than I am satisfied with that. We have a great racing community here in the Northwest with some very talented drivers. I treasure every moment on the track with them.

A couple other random late night thoughts.

1. Read up on tire slip angle as it relates to the RA-1's. From this you will find that the best grip is actually not just before the tire starts to slip but after. What this means to the physics is that you have to technically drive the car just over the edge ALL the time to reach maximum grip. Paradoxical. Watch the really fast guys go through corners and you will see their front wheels are turned 2-4 degrees more than the corner before the apex. If the car is not moving under you just slightly in the turn then you are leaving speed on the table. The trick of course is to not go over the slip angle limit....

2. Always drive flat out (except for cool down lap and pace lap of course...). Other than making sure your brakes work, don't screw around with a warm up lap when you get on the track out of hot pits. Go for it. This will train you to deal with cold tires and give you tons of practice in handling starts when you don't really get to warm up (pace laps don't do a lot really). If you feel than you are getting tired during practice and not able to really go absolutely flat out, then pull into the pits and rest. The last thing you need to do is train your brain to accept driving at 90%. The only exception to this of course is if you are working on a particular exercise. Watch the fast guys at the beginning of quail. They get on it immediately while the mid pack guys dwaddle and sway back and forth across the track.

3. Age means nothing if you are fit. I race against a bunch of guys who are 20 years younger than me. Some I beat, some I don't. Some are more fit than me and a bunch are not fit at all. The older you are the more you need to work out....

4. Who needs top equipment? just go buy a 99. LOL.

Craig J
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
So what Keith is saying is that laps can be very consistent in overall time, but be very inconsistent with respect to specific corners. I guess the perfect lap then is where each corner is consistently driven at
maximum adhesion resulting in the fastest time between entry and exit...and then to be able to do it over and over again throughout an entire race. I will give you a prime example of what was for me a pretty perfect lap
at PR this fall. In a 30 minute sprint race I had a lap that was just about a second faster than any of the other laps. I haven't a clue as to what I did or where I did it. Certainly a case where data might have come in handy.

So, without data, I am left with looking at lap times and how they stack up with other competitors. I will never quite know where I am good and where I suck. I am really going to look at this traction issue and spend a
bit more time trying to understand grip and how it is affected. If I can just hit the apex even 1mph faster, faster lap times are sure to follow....assuming I don't run out of pavement at exit....good grief.

And the link that Bruce sent of Stuck was terrific. I actually found his English voice over....very interesting! Seems to mention "late apex" several times. For me that is a big thing as I am a notorious early apex'r...not good, but then I am a work in progress (or so says my wife).

Craig - just saw your post a couple of minutes prior. Thanks so much for your comments. How did you know I "dwaddle" for a lap or so in practice and qualifying? No more...And I could certainly be fitter. Going to start working on that very soon.

Bill

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Fitness is a big deal, particularly as you get older. In 2008 I trained with Jim Leo at Pit Fit designing the workouts and it's the best shape I've been in since high school. I dropped about 40 lbs and had all kinds of stamina and a much sharper mental focus. I was doing about 12 hrs a week, a bit over the top for a middle aged hobby racer but I enjoyed it. You don't have to go nuts, even a half hour a day on a bike or elliptical is good. I was doing strength training, cardio, swimming and some reaction training specific to driving. I kept it up for about a year on my own after the year I spent with them then last year stopped. Time to get back to it.

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:NASA Midwest
  • Car Number:12
To me, the "scare yourself" bit has to do with carrying more speed into a corner than you are comfortable with, but finding that you can make the corner at that speed without heroics. The key is to repeat it until the faster corner entry becomes the norm. Then scare yourself again!
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60
Bill:
Lots of good advice here (and probably too much of it to internalize). In reading this thread I've come away with this sysnthesis...
> Scare yourself occasionally - especially on "that" corner where you get left behind.
> Learn what the car can do - try getting in the passenger seat at a HPDE with a fast SM pilot.
> Be sure the car's suspension is set up reasonaby. It's amazing what a 1/4" ride height can do!
> Get within a few HP of the pointy end guys. It's not as expensive as you might think.
> Really learn the tracks you run. Look at videos, get track time, follow fast guys when you can.
My last observation stems from the 10,000 hour rule that holds that to truly master complex tasks, most people need 10,000 hours of practice. While we aren't going to get that much seat time in our amateur careers, it still reinforces the value of time exposure in learning racecraft.
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year