Armando Ramirez

Armando Ramirez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:76
I am looking to purchase an enclosed trailer, in the 24' to 28' range.
From previous racing years ago, and present day racing with friends, I am familiar with the Haulmark and Pace trailer, but not with some of the "off brand" trailers presently available.
My thought is that for the price or a bit more than the price of a used Haulmark or Pace, I can get one of the "off brand" models build or close to my specs or wants. There seem to be quite a few of these out there - Titan, Cargo South, Express, Tropic, and so on.
What has been your experience and recommendation based on that experience?

Thank you, AER
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Look into Bravo Trailers.

The owners have 30 years in the trailer business and have taken everything they learned, and made a much better trailer.

And they are Spec Miata racers!!!!!!

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I do not know if you are looking for all Aluminum but I was and found that the Rance trailer for the money was the best deal. I got a 22 ft v nose. I wanted Aluminum so I could go south in the late winter to do some events. Plus wanted the ease of a lighter set up.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Titan builds nice stuff as well.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59
I am going through this process right now as well. The best that I can determine is that the "off brand" trailers are very hit or miss. I have seem a number of complaints with poor welds, warped plywood, leaky roofs, etc. I pretty much determined that en light of a recommendation you can trust, you should stick to a name brand trailer. It will also help you out if you decide to sell it later. I have seen some decent deals on used trailers if you look around enough.

While we are talking about it, those of you that have enclosed trailers, what value do you put on a finished interior and/or cabinets? Are they worth the extra cost?
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
When I had an enclosed I got a finished interior. No built in cabinets but rolling racks and toolboxes. E track on the floor and walls, tire rack, a place for the nitrogen cylinder. Used white enamel on the walls for easier clean up and gray garage floor paint.

Greg Kimble

Greg Kimble

Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:9
I have a Cargo South Trailer, we have had no issues with it, pulls straight, doesnt leak, seems well built. If I had to make the purchase again, I would buy this trailer again.

Greg

RacerX

RacerX

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:51
Be careful, very careful there are some deals out there too good to be true and they really are. Check out this poor guys problem with a "Class Act" trailer - http://www.garagejou...t=36910&page=26
Rich

racerbob4

racerbob4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I am looking to purchase an enclosed trailer, in the 24' to 28' range.
From previous racing years ago, and present day racing with friends, I am familiar with the Haulmark and Pace trailer, but not with some of the "off brand" trailers presently available.
My thought is that for the price or a bit more than the price of a used Haulmark or Pace, I can get one of the "off brand" models build or close to my specs or wants. There seem to be quite a few of these out there - Titan, Cargo South, Express, Tropic, and so on.
What has been your experience and recommendation based on that experience?

Thank you, AER

Hallmark is a nice middle class trailer and Pace is at least a step up, maybe more. Our current trailer is 28' long Pace to carry a 350Z and a golf cart, they barely fit. We also have the full cabinet pack in front with overhead cabs and under counter cabs. We ordered the plywood side walls and painted them ourselves. We also ordered 6" additional height because my son and I are both 6'-4" +. Also our rear ramp has a longer flap to make the angle less steep. We also installed the "E" track on the back walls ourselves to take two aluminum cargo beams which will carry 9 285x18 mounted tires. You need to take careful measurements so your car will clear and can still get the tires in place. A really good thing to also order are two spare tire belly boxes, $100 each. Don't store you spares in there as you want easy access in case you get a flat and you don't want to have to back your car out to get to the spare. We store our jack stands, jack, some wood and spare lead in one and a radiator, oil drain can, brake fluid drain bottle and 2 sets of rubber boots in the other. Measure carefully where you want to have the trailer guy install your "D" rings in the floor. We ordered 6 so the golf cart will tie down easy. Electric jack is nice and I think load levelors and anti-sway are necessary for long trips. If you still have some money get an AC roof unit, roof vent, interior and exterior power and extra interior lights and maybe 2 exterior lights. We also ordered the upgraded aluminum wheels, HD axel and higher than standard rated tires. We also ordered the upgrade lights. We have had our Pace for 5 years now and are very happy with it.
  • dstevens likes this

Champ Racing

Champ Racing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I too went through this decision. My additional point on the enclosed trailer was to provide crude camping quarters for us over a weekends use. I have ordered a 24' Haulmark with front cabinets. In addition, I added a few windows, and plan to carry food storage & cooking equip as well as cots for sleeping/resting. This will allow us to stay at the track and avoid the cost of hotels, restaurants and driving to and from the track each day.

I'll be selling my 20' long aluminum Featherlite once we receive the Haulmark. The flatbed was a great, inexpensive way to get to the track, but we're ready for the next level.

Armando Ramirez

Armando Ramirez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:76

I too went through this decision. My additional point on the enclosed trailer was to provide crude camping quarters for us over a weekends use. I have ordered a 24' Haulmark with front cabinets. In addition, I added a few windows, and plan to carry food storage & cooking equip as well as cots for sleeping/resting. This will allow us to stay at the track and avoid the cost of hotels, restaurants and driving to and from the track each day.

I'll be selling my 20' long aluminum Featherlite once we receive the Haulmark. The flatbed was a great, inexpensive way to get to the track, but we're ready for the next level.

Thanks to all for your input and comments.
We ended up with a 2006 Haulmark 24', which has a generator, AC/Heater, 120v interior lights, 12v interior lights, permanent mounted external flood lights, 3 swing arm mounted flood lights, 20' awning, and cabinets.
Found it about 25 milees from home, which made the inspection trip easy, as well as the pick up trip easy.
Only negative is that it has barn style rear doors, however, we have a couple of solutions, one been ramps, which the local Haulmark trailer dealer does all the time, or replace the barn doors with a drop door. The drop door of course been more costly, but very reasonable.
Even with this expense, it is still a good deal, at least for us.

I had wanted a 28 footer, but my son nixed that!

Tks to all - Armando

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users