D. B. Cutler

D. B. Cutler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:22
I was just wondering if anyone has tried converting a Spec Miata back into a street Miata. Anyone out there ever hear of this or try it?

Also, when you built your Spec Miata, did you keep the parts which you removed from the car in the process of converting it to a race car? I'm wondering if there is a glut of interior parts out there somewhere.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I was just wondering if anyone has tried converting a Spec Miata back into a street Miata. Anyone out there ever hear of this or try it?

Also, when you built your Spec Miata, did you keep the parts which you removed from the car in the process of converting it to a race car? I'm wondering if there is a glut of interior parts out there somewhere.

DB,
I think a Spec Miata, even a mediocre one is worth far more than a street car. If you want a street car, sell the SM and buy one, save yourself lots of time and money.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Your SM is worth at least 6-8k, maybe more parted out. For that price you can get a pretty good low mileage NB, or an MX5 in lesser condition. Were I to want a Miata/MX5 street car (not that I would fit...) it would be at least a 99, if not a 05 MX5.

I scrapped the bits that I stripped but some of the pro builders have a pretty good supply of parts they've salvaged form donors.

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Number:88
But the larger question is, why would anyone want to be seen on the street driving a chick car? :P Don't you have access to a fast Mustang Cutler? ;)
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

D. B. Cutler

D. B. Cutler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:22
I've got a 2007 MX-5 (which is for sale as well) and I drove my '91 on the street for ten years before it was a race car. I'm very comfortable driving a chick car. I find wearing a pink polo works best while driving it. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users