svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?
After years of dirt and abuse, it was time to paint my 1991 spec miata....if anything just because I couldn't get it clean anymore. One night drinking with an old friend of mine, we decided to do an art car project. I had no clue how it would end up, but I figured it was a great chance to give my friend some publicity on the NYC art scene.

I had the car painted white, and Ian came over and laid out some sharpie outlines and pin-striping tape. This gave rise to two large red "swaths" going down the sides of the car, and the whole back of the car being painted black.

After it was painted we gave the car a wet sanding, and I had the auto shop mix me some colors. A pint here, half pint there, and a bunch of reducer.

We taped the car off, and Ian went to work. Over the course of a day and a half in my warehouse with brushes, paper towels, cups......you name it he attacked it. I photographed the whole process and will make a stop action film of it once I dig my computer out of whatever box I'm moving it in.

I was really happy with the end result. It was a bit funky, but it looks like his art work. You can check out the article he wrote up in his art magazine here (he got a bit flowery with the language....also I'm generally fighting for mid pack, not first place):

http://www.ianpawele...011/07/art-car/

http://www.ianpawele...-of-an-art-car/

[attachment=1481:Art_CAR1.jpg]
[attachment=1482:Art_CAR_Top1.jpg]
[attachment=1483:Art_CAR3.jpg]
[attachment=1484:Art_Car_p1.jpg]

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
Very very cool.

I thought about doing that myself.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
That is AWESOME! Very cool idea.

My wife is a charcoal and graphite artist. Maybe car #2 will be done by her.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

G-Man

G-Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Region:Colorado Region
  • Car Year:1985
  • Car Number:45
This is great - thanks for sharing. Entertaining and inspirational. (My all-white street Rx-7 begs for artification, and my grey/white IT-A Rx-7 would enjoy looking better.)

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Prepare for light speed Chubaka :lol: Following that car for awhile might really mess with someone :D

Looks great!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Josh Chaney

Josh Chaney

JC-MX5

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:33
I love everything about it. Well done!
- Team Fail Motorsports: Failing Hardcore Since 2009 -

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Nice :)

Have you seen this one?
http://forum.specmia...pic/2/4671.html
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

svvs

svvs

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Nice :)

Have you seen this one?
http://forum.specmia...pic/2/4671.html
J~

Yeah, the sharpie car was part of what inspired me to do this. I can't imagine how long that took to create.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
Looks stunning - just dont race it - gonna be hell to repaint after some fender rubbing!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

svvs

svvs

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Looks stunning - just dont race it - gonna be hell to repaint after some fender rubbing!

Danny:

Coming from you, that means a lot given how good your cars always look.

Already had a fender rubbed in by a BMW......at least the squiggly lines hide the dent. Going to get a paintless dent guy to see what he can do.

Had a RX-7 give me a serious shove in the downhill at LRP.....now I have funny green lines on the back bumper.

Got caught up in an incident with a lapped car and with no where to go I t-boned Bob Karl Sr at about 27 mph.....bumper is cracked but you can't see it. I may clear bra the front and rear bumpers though.

The main goal is to get it into an art gallery in the city in the offseason......need to find one that can take it through the door.

Vick
www.volko.com

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Number:88

gonna be hell to repaint after some fender rubbing!

Naaaa, just stand back a few feet and throw cups of paint at it. Worked for Jackson Pollock. :P
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users