dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
A certain former SM champion/current professional racer was at Mid-Ohio last weekend coaching an SM driver. Nothing wrong/illegal/unethical about that. Capitalism at it's finest.

However, my problem is that I not only need a pro motor (or three), pro shocks, pro dyno-tuning (repeatedly), a pro crew, x 3 (for one each, 1.6, 1.8, and 99+, depending on track), and a F'n rig to haul it all, and it would hurt if I started racing go carts at 5 years old instead of taking up racing in middle age - now I need A PROFESSIONAL DRIVER'S COACH TOO ?!?!?!?

MB is looking smarter all the time for going golfing instead.

Que the guy that says, "Wake up, this has been going on in SM for years!" (three, two, one...)

-Denny
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
"Wake up, this has been going on in SM for years!"

Ba-doom-ching.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Seriously, of all the things I read about performance improvements (pro motor, dyno/dyno/dyno, etc)...the one thing I have truly considered is the coaching. For $500/$1000 how much improvement can I get compared to the same money on the engine...assuming the engine has all the obvious stuff already (intake, exhaust, AFPR, reasonably new head)?

But, I've only got one nearly completed car...you big spender!

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Tom, no big spender here. Driving same home-built 1.6 for 10-years, towed on open trailer - real "Mom and Pop" racing.

In all seriousness, if I had the resources that I see some guys spending on SM, I'd race something else. GTA or AIX comes to mind.

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:30

In all seriousness, if I had the resources that I see some guys spending on SM, I'd race something else. GTA or AIX comes to mind.

Why spend more for inferior competition? :lol:

I guess I don't see the harm in hiring a coach. I had Skeen coach me at Charlotte and it was by far the best investment I could have made.

Granted, I probably could have gotten some of those speed gains by trading data with friends (which I also did at Charlotte), but there's no substitute for the undivided attention of an expert!!

A few years back I offered a free enduro seat to Lamb for a season. That was invaluable. Same car, same track, same day. Can't get any better data than that.

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
If this is this guys career I don’t see anything wrong.
People spend money on college and tools all the time.

If he just has more money than brains, well…

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Why spend more for inferior competition?

While in jest, I agree with the point. Its why I chose to target this class. Granted I'm not in the thick of it yet; but, its my flawed rationale for electing to begin burning money. I didn't select it because I thought it was easy, but rather from watching and lurking for a year...it seemed like the best racing...no matter what section of the pack (except DFL, I guess).

And, any money I spend on improving ME...stays with me no matter what other class I might choose to race. the whole idealistic point of this class is driver-vs-driver, not car-vs-car, right?

There is a local group of coaches who "promise" to get you 2 seconds per lap in a one day (one on one) session...of course, they are making some basic assumptions about the typical student. But, it costs just a little more than $1000 to gain two seconds mechanically. So, of all the escalations and rules to legalize rampant cheating, etc...this seems like the purest of the approaches to going faster.

Granted I'm still at the point that I don't even need to trade data with friends. I'm inconsistent enough that just looking at my own data can tell me how to get faster---simply by stringing my own best sections together I can gain that two seconds.

-tch

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

There is a local group of coaches who "promise" to get you 2 seconds per lap in a one day (one on one) session...of course, they are making some basic assumptions about the typical student. But, it costs just a little more than $1000 to gain two seconds mechanically. So, of all the escalations and rules to legalize rampant cheating, etc...this seems like the purest of the approaches to going faster.

Granted I'm still at the point that I don't even need to trade data with friends. I'm inconsistent enough that just looking at my own data can tell me how to get faster---simply by stringing my own best sections together I can gain that two seconds.

Have you seen this one.

J~
  • Michael Colangelo likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Honestly, that's pretty cool. I wonder how much Jackie Stewart is for a day?

-tch

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
Personally I see nothing wrong with it, hell I even applaud it! If I had more time to actually get out to the track I'd instantly stop developing my car and start working on the lump behind the wheel... There is 4+ seconds sitting in that seat that I want gone but can't get rid of by myself.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Please note: my post was tongue-in-cheek, although it reflects my perspective. I have a hobbyist point of view where $1,000 is still a large percentage of my budget. Maybe we need a 'Club Spec Miata' class for us poor old f'ers who can't afford the latest and greatest. :P

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Please note: my post was tongue-in-cheek, although it reflects my perspective. I have a hobbyist point of view where $1,000 is still a large percentage of my budget. Maybe we need a 'Club Spec Miata' class for us poor old f'ers who can't afford the latest and greatest. :P

SSM?
J~

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
I think we found Denny's new title: "poor ol' F'er" .

I've been told that every 100 lbs costs about 1 second per lap at an average track. I'd be two seconds faster if I could just drive by remote control!

-tch

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I think we found Denny's new title: "poor ol' F'er" .

I've been told that every 100 lbs costs about 1 second per lap at an average track. I'd be two seconds faster if I could just drive by remote control!

If your car comes in at weight, the point is moot.

If your way over and can't drop anymore weight out of the car you should of got a 1.8. (IMO)
But I've seen large (tall or wide) driver do get lap times in a 1.6.

Come down to the nut behind the wheel, and a pro built motor never hurts :D
J~

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

If your car comes in at weight, the point is moot.

If your way over and can't drop anymore weight out of the car you should of got a 1.8. (IMO)
But I've seen large (tall or wide) driver do get lap times in a 1.6.

Come down to the nut behind the wheel.
J~

Yeah, I know. Also "tongue-in-cheek". But, I'm not really 200 lbs, I'm 190 with gear. Working on getting that under about 165 (with gear). I've always been a skinny F!#$, until this recent bloating.

Car needs about 20 lbs of ballast right now, plus I still have about 20 lbs in the car that I haven't removed yet.

-tch

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Yeah, I know. Also "tongue-in-cheek". But, I'm not really 200 lbs, I'm 190 with gear. Working on getting that under about 165 (with gear). I've always been a skinny F!#$, until this recent bloating.

Car needs about 20 lbs of ballast right now, plus I still have about 20 lbs in the car that I haven't removed yet.

Got this, it's in Houston.
http://mazdaracers.c...tem&item_id=509
J~

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

There is a local group of coaches who "promise" to get you 2 seconds per lap in a one day (one on one) session...of course, they are making some basic assumptions about the typical student.

Tom:
If they can get me two seconds in one weekend of coaching at Mid Ohio, my checkbook is ready and waiting! Seriously, while that much gain would be reasonable to anticipate for a mid to a back of the pack driver, my guess is that an effective coach could cut a 1:44-1:45 lap driver (again Mid Ohio) by a half a second max. That would be huge since that much time probably covers the first ten starters. Assuming a racer running there in the mid 1:44's is already driving car prepped to the 95th percentile, that is still a lot less money than it would take to gain the same amount of time with mechanical prep.

What I'd bet the coach could really do for a front runner would be to eliminate the .5 or so seconds of variation in lap times versus actually making him that half second faster. In my case that added consistency would be big.

After watching the afforementioned student's performance last weekend, it's got me thinking...
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year