- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Scott Dayton

Scott Dayton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Bought a caged 1990 SM roller with all the removed and required parts included in boxes, but uninstalled.

Just installed the dash and have no tach, fuel gauge, oil or temp gauge readouts. Everything else works, lights, turn signal, hazard lights, etc... Car starts and runs great.

Also, heater blower motor does not work. Previous builder pulled out the A/C system so I may be missing wiring. There is an extra plug at the blower in which I cannot find a matching connector to mate.

Any ideas on what I missed or what I can do to troubleshoot for either issue?

Gotta love puttting together something you did not take apart ---> NOT.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Scott

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
The instrument cluster has a separate connector that goes into the back of the cluster while the other ones you mention plug into the steering column. Sounds like it's not plugged in all the way.

The blower motor (95 at least) does not plug into the dash. In the pictures of mine I took after I removed my dash a 2nd time because I didn't pay attention to where everything plugged in when I took it out the first time, I can clearly see my blower plugged in without the dash in the car. I did find extra plugs in my car that went to something that didn't come installed in my car. Could just be a fuse if the blower is in fact plugged in.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

steve

steve

CFO MEATHEAD Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:90
Also, check to make sure the two ground wires on the wiring harness are connected - one driver side, one passenger side next to the blower. For some reason, leaving those unconnected screws with the tach.
STEVE

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

The instrument cluster has a separate connector that goes into the back of the cluster while the other ones you mention plug into the steering column. Sounds like it's not plugged in all the way.

The blower motor (95 at least) does not plug into the dash. In the pictures of mine I took after I removed my dash a 2nd time because I didn't pay attention to where everything plugged in when I took it out the first time, I can clearly see my blower plugged in without the dash in the car. I did find extra plugs in my car that went to something that didn't come installed in my car. Could just be a fuse if the blower is in fact plugged in.

Edit: Actually I take that back about the blower plug. Here is a pic of the back of my dash on the blower side if the upload works...
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51
There should be some connectors from the dash wiring harness around the area of the blower-motor. Roughly where the passenger's right foot would be near the door hinge. (or around the right 'B' pillor of the cage.) Those connectors need to be all plugged in. It's not intuitive that a connector way over there would disable the guages so it's an easy head-scratcher.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Scott Dayton

Scott Dayton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the advice. Tried a different gauge cluster (Thanks to Meathead Racing). Same problem - no tach signal, no oil pressure signal, no water temp signal. Grounds OK from harness to dash on both sides. All connections appear OK. Any other ideas? Where do these signals originate?

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
I would bet at least 2 cents, that you have forgotten the X1-9 connector. This connector is on the passenger side of the dash near the blower motor and supplies power to the instrument cluster. Very common question back in the early days of people building NA cars.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users