Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:45
So I ended up with a leak in my SD Radiator, and it was a bunch (15?) of pinholes (not a major problem) and one large leak that finally settled it. Bought a new SD radiator and due to a thread on the old site, I checked for electrolysis. Well, there it was at about .4 volts, which they say is bad. I then disconnected the battery and checked again...and it stayed at .4!!! Well, now it seems to be what they call "Type B Electrolysis". Would anyone have an idea on how to attack this?? I surely don't want to go through a radiator too quickly...

Any tips on additives, or other things to get rid of this?
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Just did a search. I'm sure other will have there ideas.

Summary: I suggest a three prong approach. 1) Treat the problem in place (The Flush). 2) Distract your adversary (The Anode). 3) Chemically suppress any "bounce back" (The Arrestor). It's as easy as One-Two-Three.

http://www.sancarlos...lectrolysis.htm

IMO, I had a SD and wouldn't buy another.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Type B is caused by acidic coolant.

I'd flush your coolant system with distilled water a couple of times. Refill, and recheck. What additive do you use: antifreeze, water wetter, etc?

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
I hope no one is using Antifreeze and knows why.
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
Using Distilled and water wetter, and yes...a good flush is in order. Time to buy a few gallons of distilled water. Okay, more than a few ;-)
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Just reading this myself, I'm a little confused now.

"Generally distilled water is not used, as it tends to be "hungry water" looking for ions, creating more problems that it solves."

Somebody care to comment?
J~

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995

"Generally distilled water is not used, as it tends to be "hungry water" looking for ions, creating more problems that it solves."

J~

Crud dissolves in water but at some point it's full of crud. (There's only so much sugar you can dissolve in your Kool-aid.) When it's nice and clean there's lots of room for it to dissolve bad ionized crud. If it's already full of neutral crud like antifreeze, there's less room for it to dissolve the bad crud. Antifreeze is bad for race tracks. Point being: Replace your $.80 a gallon distilled water somewhat regularly so it doesn't get full of bad crud.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

mmcspecracer

mmcspecracer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:New York
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:36

I hope no one is using Antifreeze and knows why.
J~

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

J~

I must have missed it as I use Distilled water!

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

I must have missed it as I use Distilled water!

If you run WaterWetter or anti-freeze it acts as a solution reducing the amount of leaching that could occur with straight distilled water. Running tap water raises the possibility of mineral deposits forming in the cooling system, depending on your water. Pick your poison. I use distilled and WaterWetter.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Guys/Gals, Antifreeze is bad for the track, hard to clean up, and slippery.

I'm not sure if it's in the GCR but it should be.
J~

http://multimedia.fo...-antifreeze.htm

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

J~

Yes, hopefully most know that it is slippy stuff. I mentioned it in soley context of the mineral leaching effect of straight distilled water. I don't think you could completely ban antifreeze though, as many encounter sub-freezing temps at late Fall & early Spring events.

Chris

- George Burns

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Yes, of course. However, antifreeze contains anti corrosion additives. So, it is advisable to store the car with antifreeze and switch have to water wetter before going to the track.

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Yes, of course. However, antifreeze contains anti corrosion additives. So, it is advisable to store the car with antifreeze and switch have to water wetter before going to the track.

That's the way I do it. :) Luckily WaterWetter also contains anti-corrosion & lubricating additives. I imagine down your way you could leave that combo in year round.

Chris

- George Burns

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
The crazy thing is how much snow we've gotten the last few years.

-tch

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Nick, show them your rad.
I guess he's shy.
http://trackspeedeng...bc9d9936c9428d6
J~

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

J~

I would have thought it would be in the GCR but it's not. Looks to be legal. Poor practice though using glycol based coolants in a race car. At The Bullring they'd fine you and send you home or suspend the next race if caught using glycol. To get it off the circuit they'd use one of those long propane torches and some oil dry.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Nick, show them your rad.
I guess he's shy.
http://trackspeedeng...bc9d9936c9428d6
J~

That's a pretty trick looking piece! Wish I'd know about that before I got my Koyo.

-tch

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM
Also, if you've been experiencing type-B electrolysis, you may be best served by running a number of routines of white vinegar through the system.
This should assist in moving through any impurities that weren't suspended in the coolant to be flushed out. With my cooling system issues so far this year I plan on running about 2+ gallons worth of vinegar through the system. At least a half gallon of vinegar per flush cycle with a cycle being half-gallon of vinegar, fill with water (doesn't need to be distilled I hope), run the car for 20+ minutes at 3k+ RPM with the heater blowing hard.

Whether it's the multiple flushes or the vinegar doing "something", I hope to be flushing "clear" water once I'm done.

And as an alternative to the recommended water wetter (Redline, Royal Purple, whatever brand you happen to find), I'm also trying this product this year.
Joe Gibbs Coolant System Protector

Their propaganda indicates it mitigates issues in running non-distilled water (and conceivably the issues with electrolysis) while providing similar properties to any of the above water additives.
One bottle treats 5 gallons so you'd potentially be getting 2 system fills per bottle with these aftermarket radiators.

Good luck with your issue. I'm almost confident I've finally solved my cooling issue that cropped up this year.
Brandon
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92

J~

Johnny,
about 25 years ago i used to roadrace motorcycles.
before going on track ALL bikes went through tech, EVERY weekend.
they had all bikes open the raditor cap and look for anti freeze which was not allowed .
they said it was more slippery than oil when dumped on the track.
not sure why it would be allowed to be used in cars on the track.

so is there any difference between using distilled water in the system and using R/O water?

I ask because i have an R/O system at the house.
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users