Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM
Distilled water has zero minerals dissolved in it. I would imagine any filtration system would leave behind "something" that could precipitate out of suspension once it's in the engine: heat & pressure have a tendency to cause such things.

My view - flushing with tap water is fine but be sure to drain & fill with distilled before running it hard.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Johnny,
about 25 years ago i used to roadrace motorcycles.
before going on track ALL bikes went through tech, EVERY weekend.
they had all bikes open the raditor cap and look for anti freeze which was not allowed .
they said it was more slippery than oil when dumped on the track.
not sure why it would be allowed to be used in cars on the track.

so is there any difference between using distilled water in the system and using R/O water?

I ask because i have an R/O system at the house.

Depends on how effective your R/O system is. But, R/O does remove minerals which is the reason to use distilled water (to prevent mineral buildup inside the system). So, its certainly better than tap water in areas with hard-water.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
If God had known about RO, there wouldn't be distilled.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

http://trackspeedengineering.com/store/trackspeed-engineering-dualrow-race-radiator-p-83.html?osCsid=8d5d0961aaec22f18bc9d9936c9428d6

That's a pretty trick looking piece! Wish I'd know about that before I got my Koyo.

One question, at 76mm how do you fit the mandatory fan between it and the sway bar (at least on a 1.6)? It is tight enough with the 53mm ones.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Nick Buchanan

Nick Buchanan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:SFR

One question, at 76mm how do you fit the mandatory fan between it and the sway bar (at least on a 1.6)? It is tight enough with the 53mm ones.

It's a tight fit, and some minor trimming of the fan shroud may be required. The radiator was designed with the fact that spec miatas must run a stock fan, though.

Dennis

Dennis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:27
NASA does not allow antifreeze. From 2011 CCR:

15.18 Engine Coolant
Ethylene Glycol-based antifreeze and other additives that may cause a slippery
condition if spilled on track are prohibited. Other water additives such as Redline Water
Wetter may be used.

Also, for our purposes, RO water is equivalent to distilled.

Dennis
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

It's a tight fit, and some minor trimming of the fan shroud may be required. The radiator was designed with the fact that spec miatas must run a stock fan, though.

I don't see where we are allowed to trim the fan (under the "if it doesn't say you can..." rule):

2. Any radiator may be used, provided it is mounted in the
original location, maintains the same plane as the original
core, and requires no body or structure modifications to
install. Any openings created by fitting an alternate radiator
must be blocked to prevent air from entering the
engine compartment. At least one functional stock OEM
cooling fan must be maintained and mounted in the stock
location.

Am I missing something?

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Richard Pressman

Richard Pressman

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:87
The fan shroud is not "body" or "structure".

Even using the 53mm Koyo I had to do minimal trimming of the rear-most portion of the fan shroud to clear the sway bar. I think the other commonly used radiator requires even more trimming.

I see no problem with it.

My .02
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Car Year:1999

Am I missing something?

Only gonads if you protest someone for it.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

The fan shroud is not "body" or "structure".

Yes, but there is no specific allowance for trimming the fan. I've already been bitten by the "rules allow A, and for A to work you have to do B, but there isn't an allowance for B" see below.

Only gonads if you protest someone for it.

Heh. There seems to be a very wide spectrum over what is considered to be a "weenie" protest. Over a decade ago I raced in a class that allowed remote reservoir shocks. I was new, so I drilled holes slightly bigger than the canister and mounted them in my trunk since there wasn't room to mount them in the wheel well. I blocked off the holes and put a grommet around the (much thinner) line. I was protested because the rules didn't say you could cut holes in the wheel wells. So I guess I'm once bitten, twice shy and it is much easier to ask for a consensus then to try to undo a modification. :)

NASA Utah SM Director

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users