Jim Venable

Jim Venable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:71
Normally I utilize the Napa Gold Oil Filter. Knowing that Wix supplies the Napa and Autozone filters, has anyone runt he Autozone filters?

While I found a reference to the Autozone filter while doing a search I didn't see that anyone was using one, hence the question.

Thanks,
Jim Venable
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Terry Whitlock

Terry Whitlock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:Buccaneer
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:36
Jim,

As a general rule, I believe that most people stick with the Mazda branded filters. I'm sure others will chime in, but I'm pretty sure that is the prevailing preference.

Jim Venable

Jim Venable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
My bad. I meant to write Napa and CarQuest, not Autozone.

Jim

Normally I utilize the Napa Gold Oil Filter. Knowing that Wix supplies the Napa and Autozone filters, has anyone runt he Autozone filters?

While I found a reference to the Autozone filter while doing a search I didn't see that anyone was using one, hence the question.

Thanks,
Jim Venable

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
AFAIK OEM Mazda filters are made by Mahle.

mellen

mellen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:87

Thanks,
Jim Venable

I have been using the Napa filters for 3 years with no problems.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY SHIT........WHAT A RIDE!!!!!!!!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58
I use the K&N oil filter. It is essentially the same as the Mobil-1 filter, which are good filters, but has a nut on the end. The nut on the end helps the nut changing the filter remove it more easily. The NAPA Gold are also good filters.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
The K&N is $15. You can get half a dozen from Mazda at that price, so that's how I order them.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Number:88
The Autozone filter is worth half a second.
  • dstevens likes this
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

The K&N is $15. You can get half a dozen from Mazda at that price, so that's how I order them.

$10 where I get mine, still not cheap. Mazda sources their filter from various places. For a while it was from Fram. I trust the quality of the Mobil-1/K&N and Wix/NAPA filters more.

Chris

- George Burns

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

The Autozone filter is worth half a second.

Which way? :D

Chris

- George Burns

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11
I use the Wix/Napa brand. It holds more oil than the stock Mazda filter and I found the extra weight helps me corner weight that side of the car easier :rolleyes:
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
I like the Mazda filter because they are white now, and make my engine bay look cleaner...
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
NAPA has just reordered the filter line. On the consumer side, there is Silver (like the old ProSelect), Gold (same as now) and new Platinum which is their new synthetic media, wire mesh back filer, similar to the Mobil 1 or Amsoil. All made by Wix. The older ProSelect will be available in the commercial channel only.

The capacity of an oil filter is secondary to the filtering capability and the ability to do it quickly.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

$10 where I get mine, still not cheap. Mazda sources their filter from various places. For a while it was from Fram. I trust the quality of the Mobil-1/K&N and Wix/NAPA filters more.

Go over to http://bobistheoilguy.com and have a look around. In the US, European and Asian markets there have been 3 suppliers over the last 10 years or so. Mahle, Tennex (got bought by Mahle some years back) and Tokyo Roki. Next time you get a Mazda filter look at the origin in the parts pull tag. If is says AT, that's Mahle in Austria, JP is Tokyo Roki (not likely to be found in the US) and US is Mahle from the old Tennex plant in TN.

Jim Venable

Jim Venable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks for all the opinions and input. I'll stick with the
NAPA Gold for now.

Jim

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

On my last order they substituted a larger filter and the price is more like 3 to the K&N....

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I use a bosch filter that is for the 2008 Honda Civic it has about 1/3 more oil volume. It has worked for me. the Mazda filter are so small.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Hypothesis: Volume "may" be an indicator of better filtration (more and/or larger pleats), but it's not necessarily so. Other than that secondary effect, the only primary effect of a larger filter can is to keep more oil out of the system while running, lowering the oil level in the pan while on track.

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

...the only primary effect of a larger filter can is to keep more oil out of the system while running, lowering the oil level in the pan while on track.

What?? The system is circular. If you have enough oil in car to register full on the dipstick after an oil & filter change (and having cycled the engine), then you have enough while on the track. If you are really worried about the extra capacity of the filter robbing from the pan, you can always add the 2-3 oz to the car.

Chris

- George Burns

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
I think what "Da Clown" is saying is that reducing the amount of oil in the pan could be a performance advantage. When you look at purpose built race engines crank scrapers and windage trays are normal in a wet sump system to keep parasitic loses to a minimum and not agitate the oil in the pan and keep the oil cooler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users