2 replies to this topic

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:88
I have searched the forum and understand the 1996 has a faux gauge that indicates on/off only and not accurate pressure.

I recently installed a fresh motor and noticed that after car get warm, the oil presssure guage drops all the way to L (or off) when RPMs drop below about 1400. While driving or reving motor, the pressure indicated ON in some range other than L.

The car did not do this previously, so my first thought was the sensor. I changed it and get same indications.

Anybody seen this before? Could it be the oil I put in? I used a Mobile 1 10W-30 as a break in oil and was planning on changing at 50 miles and running a different oil. Any suggestions?

I will be adding a real guage this week, but wanted to see if this may be normal?

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

I have searched the forum and understand the 1996 has a faux gauge that indicates on/off only and not accurate pressure.

I recently installed a fresh motor and noticed that after car get warm, the oil presssure guage drops all the way to L (or off) when RPMs drop below about 1400. While driving or reving motor, the pressure indicated ON in some range other than L.

The car did not do this previously, so my first thought was the sensor. I changed it and get same indications.

Anybody seen this before? Could it be the oil I put in? I used a Mobile 1 10W-30 as a break in oil and was planning on changing at 50 miles and running a different oil. Any suggestions?

I will be adding a real guage this week, but wanted to see if this may be normal? And to follow up with that....what is the NBST size fitting I need for an Autometer Oil Pressure guage connection. I have the old sensor to compare if need be.

Not sure about the others questions, but I would recommend the remote oil pressure mount kit that Dave Wheeler sells. It has the correct threading for the block side (british pipe thread I think)and will accept a standard autometer gauge. It also removes the gauge from the vibration of the engine block which helps with the gauge life.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
The block connection is 1/8" bspt. The sender could be 1/8" npt or 10 mm depending on which one you use. A kit is the easiest way but it's not too difficult to source the parts and go for a DIY. When I do an engine break in I put a mechanical gauge in the sender port and read from that. You'll still need to adapt it to 1/8" bspt but it will let you keep an eye on it and know what the pressure is. HF has a unit that's acceptable, with the bspt adapter, http://www.harborfre...-kit-98949.html .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users