- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Kurt Krummel

Kurt Krummel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So I found a car for a good price and it already has a LSD. I noticed that the hood and bumper didn't line up perfectly and I asked the owner "was this car in an accident?" He said yes but that it happed before he owned the car and he didn't know the details. So I pulled a carfax. Here's what I learned...

01/18/2010 Maryland
Damage Report Accident reported
Vehicle involved in a T-bone collision
Involving front impact
It hit a motor vehicle
Front of vehicle primarily damaged
Damage reported to:
Front
Left rear
Disabling damage reported

CARFAX began reporting this information on 11/30/2010.
02/26/2010 Maryland
Motor Vehicle Dept. Title or registration issued
to insurance company
02/26/2010 Damage Report TOTAL LOSS VEHICLE
02/26/2010 126,950 Maryland
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Frederick, MD

So the Seller has salvaged the car, fixed it up, and is selling it.

Question: Does it matter that a car has been in an accident if I am just building a race car out of it? It is priced a couple thousand less than the market price of a 1999 miata.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Miatas get salvaged even when the damage is pretty minor. Cheaper for insurance to pay the book value than fix the car. to know for sure you'd have to measure at least the tub and sub frames. I got a cheap donor that needs a lot of work and in hindsight I wish I would have spent a bit more for a cleaner car.

Rutger

Rutger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
In my opinion, and I am a novice, but I have been working on cars for years... I would never build my platform around a car that had been in a serious (beyond cosmetic) accident. Its not worth it. the cars are cheap enough and prevalent enough that you can find a better one without too much trouble.

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

In my opinion, and I am a novice, but I have been working on cars for years... I would never build my platform around a car that had been in a serious (beyond cosmetic) accident. Its not worth it. the cars are cheap enough and prevalent enough that you can find a better one without too much trouble.

+1
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

+2

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users