davearm

davearm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:66
Have been having a problem restarting the car when hot, such as after sitting in impound, or more recently this past weekend after spinning, and stalling off track. Really didn't like sitting off turn 1 @ VIR with a dead car waiting for EV to pull me out of harms way.
I have changed the starter, checked all my connections from battery, kill switch, and starter. Had the battery tested, said it was OK, but only 70% charged. Thought this was strange since I had been running the car all weekend, and the spin/stall was after 25 minutes of racing. Might the alternator be going bad?
The car always starts fine when cold, but gets progressively sluggish as it gets hotter.

Thanks,

Dave

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41
Could be, but id check the alternator connections first. You mentioned starter, kill switch, and battery only.

Hot start issues could be caused by a corroded connection that makes worse connection when hot. Besides looking for loose connection, also look for shrunken insulation, green copper or dirty / corroded connectors and wires.

Check volts at battery while running and off. Should be 14+ while charging.

What kill switch do you have? Wheeler method?

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41
Also look for signs of excessive heat. Discolored insulation, melted plastic, etc.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davearm

davearm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:66

Also look for signs of excessive heat. Discolored insulation, melted plastic, etc.

I guess I should have included that the starter will not crank when hot, motor does not turn over.

Thanks,

Dave

JayF

JayF

SM Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1996
Sounds like the starter is seizing up when hot. I've heard of the on Grand am cars when they go to restart exiting from pits. Do you have a spare starter to try?
-- Jay --
96 Spec Miata - Build in progress
North East SCCA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users