dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51
A couple weeks ago I was invited to be the lucky “guest driver” for rounds 3 & 4 of the first season of the Spec Race Atom series at VIR. Besides being an Ariel Atom owner & fan, I have no other affiliation.

The cars are race/track versions of the Atom that were built for this spec series. The SRA cars are NA Honda powered with approx. 220 hp, and have upgraded safety items, bespoke dampers, and run on spec Hoosier R6 tires. Minimum weight with driver is 1,515 lbs. For this year, all of the races are on various versions of VIR, which is also where the cars are built. TMI builds the cars, runs the race series, and also stores & maintains most of the cars. There were 17 cars in this race, with at least 3 more expected for the next round. These things are selling as fast as they can build them.

I was there to help test & develop this new car. We made numerous setup changes over the weekend, and between that & me learning the track better, I was able to get down to a 2:07.0 on VIR’s full course. I assume that’s a decent time, but I know that a driver with more skills and/or experience at VIR could do a second or two better.

TMI has a long background in racing, so they know how to run a race & pamper drivers. Everything they’ve done is first class, from the build & prep of the cars, to the new purpose built semi trailer & massive awning that are used by all of the drivers on race weekends.

Considering that race licenses are not required for this series, I was pleasantly surprised at the speed & awareness of most of the drivers in the field. I also got some stiff competition from local driver Aaron Elsner, who aced me out of pole for the first race of the weekend. In the race we had a blast running close together and trading the lead, until he followed me off the track & spun. For a guy with no real race experience, this kid is impressive. I had to leave for the airport before Sunday’s 2nd race, but did manage to qualify P1. Although I have to admit that Aaron nailed the fastest lap of the weekend at 2:06.5.

I’ve owned my Ariel Atom for five years now, and have dreamed the whole time of battling with another quick driver in an identical Atom. I normally race Spec Miata, so I know all about close racing in equal cars. But doing it in something this fast is a thrill on another level. Hopefully the video linked below demonstrates how much fun we had. Speaking of the video, all of the Spec Race Atoms have the same data acquisition and dual in car camera setup, as well as a dedicated support person to troubleshoot this if needed and help analyze driver’s data if not (another example of a first class operation).
http://www.vimeo.com/26626103

Had this series been started two years ago, when I was contemplating whether to continue doing track days or get into racing, I would’ve been the first to sign up. IMO this is a great transition from track days to racing, with fast cars, great support, and a top notch track at a very reasonable price.

VIR: This is my new favorite track! I’ve been to a lot of tracks, including most on the west coast, and nothing I’ve seen compares to this. Not only is the track super fast, technical, and challenging, but the grounds are the most beautiful & well kept I’ve ever seen. If you haven’t been there, put driving VIR on your bucket list & find an excuse to experience it. When you do make sure to stay & eat at the track too, because those parts are also excellent. You guys that get to race at VIR all the time are lucky. I'd gladly trade Laguna Seca and Infineon for this track.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51
This is the car I drove. Fresh off the assemly line!

Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users