• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Newton

Newton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Car Year:1990
I am a beginner to the world of performance driving events. The fire started when I was 16 and I went to my first non-NASCAR race at VIR in 2002. It was the Grand-Am race, and I was completely hooked. I had just gotten my first car a 1990 VW Jetta GLi, so as soon as I got home, I started looking at what it would take to build a racecar out of my poor man's BMW.

Now as Im a bit older and wiser, with more bills, I still have the "ITCH" but im looking at it more realistically. I still have the same 90 GLi, but shes getting a bit worn out and long past due for some major overhauls, so the plan is to find a good solid used Miata to drive while the jetta is getting fixed/upgraded slightly. Once the rebuild is complete, I will resume using the Jetta as a daily driver/occasional track car and the Miata will take the role of the main track toy. First order of business on the miata after fixing any general maintenance issues is to install a Hard Core roll bar which will make it legal for HPDE use while the jetta is down.

With that in mind, the only other thing at this point that im overwhelmed by is what is the general opinion on helmets? I just read on the Track DAZE website that 2000 spec helmets are out after this year, so im looking for a SA/M2005 or newer. Preferably a 2010 so that i dont have to worry about it being out of date for quite a while(hopefully). I have also heard from many sources that open face helmets are discouraged, but are not banned until you get into actual racing. Other than that, im looking for the experience you folks have to help guide me. Any brands that are more favorable? Any brands to stay away from? Any gimmicks and gadgets to embrace or stay away from? Can HANS device anchors be added down the road if i upgrade from track days to racing?

Getting into amateur racing on a budget means looking down the road, so im hoping that all of your experience will help me make some better decisions.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Brian

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
If you have a $5.00 head wear a $5.00 helmet, otherwise purchase something form a brand name recognized manufacturer. Fit should be your most important consideration.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Newton

Newton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Well put Mike. The names I know the best and have seen on professional melons are Simpson and Bell. Any other brands out there that are top quality?

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
I used racinghelmetguide.com to help me wade through the options.

You must try on helmets, but sa helmets can be hard to find locally. So, i went to motorcycle shops and tried on those. Once I found a brand and size (or more than one), i used the site above to select the brand that fit with the features in wanted, and then i ordered my desired SA2005 helmet from saferacer.

My Head is only worth $400 on sale, so that's what I spent.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58
Take a road trip to Myrtle Beach, maybe stay the night. While you are there, stop by Apex Performance and try on helmets. They have a large selection and will give you good advice. As said above, fit is most important, pick what fits snuggly and comfortably. Also, don't by an M-rated helmet, as some events will not allow them. Stick with the SA helmets and get a closed face one. Then go to the beach and have some fun!

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
On the SA 2005 note, it's not recommended to use a helmet for more than 5 years although it is legal. The materials degrade over time. I picked up a very nice new SA2005 helmet for a great price knowing that for safety I won't wear it past when they're no longer legal, and now that they've gone to SA2010 there are awesome deals out there on the 2005 models.

The Stilo looks really nice and I've heard great things, however it might be hard to find one to try on so it might be a matter of buy a couple and return the ones that don't fit. A trade show or the local vendor who shows up at your track for stuff people forgot to bring racing would be a great place to try various gear rather than buy and return or, use and hate a lot of gear.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Cant go wrong with Arai helmets!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Simpson and Impact have factory stores in Mooresville. Hard Racing is an Arai dealer. There are also other dealers in that area that stock a variety of helmets. Get one where you like the fit. You can add the HANS later. Might want to go with an amber or tinted shield in addition to a clear shield. A decent lid should be 400-500 or so. I wear a balaclava (head sock)as well so the inside of the helmet stays dry and more or less odor free.

Just for grins, the latest carbon fibre Schuberth SF-1. Only 5000 euros....
http://www.schuberth...the-helmet.html

Newton

Newton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks everyone,

Your suggestions have all been helpful. Keep the ideas coming please.

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56
I used saferacer.com to order my stuff. With Simpson, if you buy a new helmet, ask to have the hans pieces installed and I believe they will do it for free then. If you send it back later, I think they will charge you. I have the Simpson Shark. I have had 2 of them, one during my karting years and i just bought another for the car last year. Saferacer has different brands and the guys there were very helpful to me.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Number:20
Not only is a five year old helmet likely to be dinged and degraded, they are really likely to be kind of stinky, if you do a lot of racing. I usually buy after the next gen is introduced. I have three 2005 helmets, including an open face one that I use when I instruct at PDX events. Like Keith says, there are great deals on them right now. Also, Mike, I've heard of $50 head, but never $5 head. That must be something from Bankok?

CARacer

CARacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
There's almost no correlation between price and crash safety. If it meets the standard, it's safe. That being said, there can be a correlation between price and comfort, and there is certainly one between comfort and safety. As others have said, get the most comfortable one you can.

Do not get a motorcycle helmet. They are not accepted at many events/races, and if you are worried about crash safety, they are made to take different kinds of crashes.

I just got an HJC AR-10 and am extremely pleased with it. The most comfortable and lightest helmet I've ever worn, and, coincidentally, one of the cheaper SA2010 helmets. Fit and finish is very good, too.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41
Just to clarify what I said above, so that no one now or later misunderstands my intent:

Above when I said I went to a motorcycle shop and tried on helmets that was ONLY to determine brand and size that fit my melon. Eg, Bell 7 1/4, HJC 7 1/2, Arai 7, etc. Since every manufacturer's 7 1/4 will fit a little different...you may be 1/4 - 1/2 size different from one to the next. Plus, they all design to a slightly different "ideal" head shape. So, some will fit you well, and other's won't...but, a Bell 7/14 M helmet will fit very similar to a Bell SA helmet. There is still some risk of model to model variation, but it is much less than the manufacturer to manufacturer variation.

Once, I had my size in several different brands, I used the website above to narrow down my SA helmet selections based on the features I wanted (good for eye glasses, wide eye opening, removable interior, closed face, predrilled for HNR, that kind of thing). Then I went over to Saferacer and ordered my final selection. So, even though I tried on motorcycle helmets, I eventually bought an autosports SA2005 helmet (not a motorcycle M2005).

This process worked perfect for me and my $400 melon.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
You definitely want to try on different brands and helmets and sizes. There is a significant enough difference between brands and styles that would make them less or more comfortable to the shape of the melon sitting on your shoulders.

Find a local shop and try them on.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RacerX

RacerX

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:51
I went to OGRacing's store front in NOVA and spent about an hour trying on helmets. I'm really glad I took the time since there were significant differences in how each manufacture's helmet fit my head. I found some helmets were tight in parts and lose in other areas. A quick look around and you'll see many different head shapes and sizes, and then understand why it is important to try on helmets to find one that is comfortable for you.

Of particular concern to me was the ability to slip glasses on while wearing the helmet. The Bell BR-1 helmet I have has a gap in the padding that lines up with my ears and easily allows for me to slip on glasses.

Good Luck, Rich

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:91
I've owned:
Simpson Voyager: heavy, reasonably comfortable but poor ventilation, sturdy, American-made and well-priced. A replacement shield can be found almost everywhere. No removable components.
Sparco WTT-TK: light, configurable (on paper, the different sized pads were never available), some padding was removable for cleaning, the fittings (like vents) were fragile and it was never terribly comfortable. Ventilation was decent. Parts (shields) nearly impossible to come by. Made in Italy. Expensive and not worth it.
Arai GP-5W: Wow. Best yet. Very light, incredibly soft on the inside (even though it's very snug) so it's very comfortable. Very well ventilated. Even after two hours on my head, it's still comfortable. Very well made -- in Japan. Parts are widely available. Not cheap, but less than the Sparco.

My four cents.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ernie Jr.

Ernie Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2012
  • Car Number:98
I use the HJC Si-12 and it is as light as a carbon fiber but is strong and comes in a matte black finish + it is very comfortable. :D

Ernie Francis Jr.
www.ErnieFrancisJrRacing.com
Pirelli World Challenge TCB/GTS Driver

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:Cincy Region SCCA
  • Car Number:10 SM

Not only is a five year old helmet likely to be dinged and degraded, they are really likely to be kind of stinky, if you do a lot of racing. I usually buy after the next gen is introduced. I have three 2005 helmets, including an open face one that I use when I instruct at PDX events. Like Keith says, there are great deals on them right now. Also, Mike, I've heard of $50 head, but never $5 head. That must be something from Bankok?

The official Bell poster I had back in mid-60's said $10.

Jerry Cabe
2014 Cincy Region Race Chair

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Number:44
I'd avoid Simpson if I were you. Terrible customer service and quality. Had a helmet crack after a light hit from my collar bone. Helmet was brand new, Voyager Sidewinder, first time using the helmet. I called and got the run around, tried contacting higher ups, nothing. None wanted to see pictures let alone see the helmet.

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I'd avoid Simpson if I were you. Terrible customer service and quality. Had a helmet crack after a light hit from my collar bone. Helmet was brand new, Voyager Sidewinder, first time using the helmet. I called and got the run around, tried contacting higher ups, nothing. None wanted to see pictures let alone see the helmet.

Back before Bill sold the company they were great. I switched to Impact when he started that and got great support. I haven't done any business since Mastercraft bought Impact at the end of last year. I'm liking the Bell stuff these days.
  • Terry Whitlock likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users