Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26
I see you are in NC what group/groups do you plan to run with? Many have vendors, with helmets, at their track events. Come out to an event and feed your head. SCCA/NASA are both very active here.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Newton

Newton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Car Year:1990
In the Raleigh area, ill have NASA and SCCA, and maybe BMWCCA memberships.....so i should be around.

Stetson

Stetson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:South East
I have a white Simpson Bandit - very nice, fairly lightweight and pretty comfortable. Plus it is the 'old stig' helmet which I thought was cool. Its an SA 2005.

I bought a less expensive pyrotech SA2010 helmet because it was already pre-drilled for my Hans. I was afraid to drill on my Simpson. It looks cool, but it is not as comfortable as my Simpson. I am a little disappointed with the comfort, especially on a hot day. Its not as nice as my Simpson.

Buy a simpson and be happy!

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
Just an FYI, if you want to get your helmet painted, buy white one. Painters prefer to work with white helmets.

Gatoratty

Gatoratty

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:3
I have an Arai GP-5W which is very comfortable and also have a Bell Star Fusion Top Forced Air which is an SAH-2010 for during the summer months (with my coolshirt helmet blower).

(null)
Paul McLester
SM #3
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Armando Ramirez

Armando Ramirez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:76
You "have" to try the helmet on, and go from there.

As I see it two ways to go:

1) Order different helmets and sizes and return what does not fit you, keeping the one that best fits, you like best, and been of good quality fits your budget.
I like the Arai GP 6RC helmet, and I think I am worth it, but... let's be real.
Anyhow in this manner you will pretty soon run a high bill on return shipment expense.
2) As suggested go to a shop near you that has a good selection, and work with them getting the right helmet.

I tried quite a few helmets, and ended up with a HJC HX-11
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91
I've owned a Simpson ($$), a Sparco ($$$$), a Pyrotect ($) and an Arai ($$$). I have to say the Arai GP5-W is the absolute most comfortable bucket I've ever put on my head.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Adam Molaver

Adam Molaver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:50
i've owned probably a dozen helmets, but most of those were for motorcycles. in the car, i LOVE my gforce. its cheap, comfortable, easily cleaned, and protected my melon in a 100mph head-on wall impact (thank you HANS!). it was replaced with another GForce, and the SA2000 rating on that one is no longer valid..so i ordered another GForce.

on the motorcycle, i'm commonly in my lid for hours at a time, from single to triple digit temperatures - comfort is more of an issue. the arai interiors are more plush and comfortable than any other brand i've ever worn and their ventilation usually works well - just bought a new one a couple of months ago. love them, but their SA helmets are price even more insanely than their SM!

as harry hurt - search 'the hurt helmet report' - said, tell me exactly what kind of crash you're going to have, and i can tell you what the best helmet is. based on a huge testing regimen motorcyclist (i think) magazine did on (motorcycle) helmets, as someone else said - price does NOT correlate to protection.

find a retailer(s) with the brands you're considering and try on representatives from each. you are likely to find that the shape of the helmet matters as much as the size. some brands you make take a medium, others an XL. yes, they vary that much. if the retailer's sales staff is any good, they'll remind you that a properly fitting helmet will feel a little too snug in the store - they break in. pay attention to how each model 'sits' on you - forehead pressure? evenly on the crown all the way around? pressure points? IMO, if there aren't some compelling features or fit in a particular model, don't spend more than you need to.

ahm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users