Photo

Do I really need FCM bump stops for NB car?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:2003
I just received my 1.8 NB SM suspension kit from Mazdaspeed (ordered in July 2011). I was going to install on my 2003 NB in next few days. I read some specmiata.com threads that stated that the bump stop can smash through the metal shock hat:

http://forum.specmia...46;t=000017;p=0

I seems the Mazdaspeed bump stop is metal on metal (bump stop against shock hat) without any rubber/plastic in between. I don't know if I am stating the problem correctly since I have not yet installed my NB SM suspension on my NB car.

Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, but is this problem present when you buy the 2011 Mazdaspeed 1.8 NB suspension kit and install correctly on an NB car? Or is this just a problem with NA cars using NB shock hats?

Is it really a good idea to get the Fat Cat Motorsports (FCM) SM Bump Stop kit for an NB car?

thanks

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
With the FatCat bump stops you have a stack up that has FatCat rubber directly on both sides of the shock hat, then a flat washer each side. < Thats a good thing. The rubber washers create angular flexibility for the shock rod. Between the MazdaMotorSports lower flat washer & the shock hat there is no rubber. < That's a bad thing. The metal flat washer against the metal shock hat does not create angular flexibility. When there is no angular flexibility the bottom flat washer TP's (^) & may blow through the hole in the shock hat leaving the shock on that corner not doing it's job.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:2003
That clears it up. I was not certain if a 2011 Mazdaspeed kit had a fix for the problem and from your post i can ascertain that it does not. I will buy the FCM kit. Thanks.

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

With the FatCat bump stops you have a stack up that has FatCat rubber directly on both sides of the shock hat, then a flat washer each side. < Thats a good thing. The rubber washers create angular flexibility for the shock rod. Between the MazdaMotorSports lower flat washer & the shock hat there is no rubber. < That's a bad thing. The metal flat washer against the metal shock hat does not create angular flexibility. When there is no angular flexibility the bottom flat washer TP's (^) & may blow through the hole in the shock hat leaving the shock on that corner not doing it's job.

Angular flexability? ... I though this site was family friendly.B)
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year