Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26
I dug up an old thread that referenced CR Racing Radiators. Anyone here have any experience with them, single pass or triple pass? I'm trying to get my 99 to run cooler. I did away with my thermostat this past weekend and it was cooler initially in a run then basically went to the same temp as running with the thermostat. It also ran cooler when the ambient temp was cooler.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
If you are talking about cx racing radiators they are hit or miss. I have had 2 of them and then forked out for a springfield, I should have just done that in the first place.....
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

If you are talking about cx racing radiators they are hit or miss. I have had 2 of them and then forked out for a springfield, I should have just done that in the first place.....

Thank you. This is what I'm looking at CR Racing

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
C&R is the leading manufacturer of racing radiators in the US including NASCAR, WoO and Indycar. Good quality product, top notch service. I haven't paid any attention to the aftermarket products, only the race specific equipment. Give them a call and I'm sure they'll explain the details of of the Miata radiator.

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

C&R is the leading manufacturer of racing radiators in the US including NASCAR, WoO and Indycar. Good quality product, top notch service. I haven't paid any attention to the aftermarket products, only the race specific equipment. Give them a call and I'm sure they'll explain the details of of the Miata radiator.

Yup, I did talk to them and it sounds like a great part. They have them in stock and can have it to me in two days. I'm near Mooresville, NC (Nascar) that is how I heard about them. They have an office here and Indiana. I'm hoping there is someone with some experience with one of their radiators. I have tried what I thought would be a great products in the past, only to find out everyone else knew it was a dog.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
I can only speak from my experience with them in stock cars, excellent product. It is the rad of choice for most of the front runners when I was running short track. I didn't have one but some of the guys beating me did and so did a few of the others cars I worked on. ;) First hand I can say the construction is top notch. Chris Paulson is a cooling wizard. He's the guy the hepped me to coolant flow, restrictors and pump cavitation. If the aftermarket stuff is anything like the race stuff it's a no brainer. If you buy it and aren't pleased they will work with you to make sure you are pleased.

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
Sounds good, I was looking at there build specs and QC standards. It doesn't get much better. Thanks for the input, I am hoping my experience would be similar to yours. It was definitely cool to call the folks here in NC and get referred to an individual in Indiana who picked up the phone and talked to me. Remember when companies used to talk to their customers? What an amazing concept.

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
I didn't realize you were talking about c&r, I have seen a few in various cars that come through the shop and they indeed look top notch. For the price it will be a great comparison to a springfield....

Id say give it a shot, either way you go in that price range you will not have any problems.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
Thanks Charlie, I'm going to make another phone call to C&R today.

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
I just wanted to follow up with post purchase information. I ended up talking to the sales engineering folks at C&R and buying their single pass Miata Radiator.

They sent me some engineering drawings before I bought it and I was concerned it would be too tall. It looked like it would stick up so high that it wouldn't be possible to close the hood. I questioned it and they said it bolts right in. Well, they were right, it came with mounting brackets that place the radiator in the perfect position.

I raced this past weekend and saw much cooler running temps. I was not using a thermostat and plan to reinstall it this week. There were times running by myself that the temps were below 180. This is on a 92 degree day. In the same configuration (no thermostat, just the restriction of the thermostat diameter) my water temp was always 210+ with my old Mizu radiator. If you are in the market for a high end radiator this one worked for me and is easy to install.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

I just wanted to follow up with post purchase information. I ended up talking to the sales engineering folks at C&R and buying their single pass Miata Radiator.

They sent me some engineering drawings before I bought it and I was concerned it would be too tall. It looked like it would stick up so high that it wouldn't be possible to close the hood. I questioned it and they said it bolts right in. Well, they were right, it came with mounting brackets that place the radiator in the perfect position.

I raced this past weekend and saw much cooler running temps. I was not using a thermostat and plan to reinstall it this week. There were times running by myself that the temps were below 180. This is on a 92 degree day. In the same configuration (no thermostat, just the restriction of the thermostat diameter) my water temp was always 210+ with my old Mizu radiator. If you are in the market for a high end radiator this one worked for me and is easy to install.

I was at dinner with Chris Paulsen (owner of C & R)last week. They make great products that they really stand behind. Good luck with your purchase!
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

I was at dinner with Chris Paulsen (owner of C & R)last week. They make great products that they really stand behind. Good luck with your purchase!

Will be the Radiator of choice for the STL build!

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users