Photo

What air pressure range for Hoosier SMs?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Delta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:77
I usually ran my RA-1s at 38 psi, but I wonder what pressure(S) the Hoosier SMs run best at? My main track is a tight, technical 1.8 mile track with only 2 straightaways and 14 turns, if that matters. Thanks.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I usually ran my RA-1s at 38 psi, but I wonder what pressure(S) the Hoosier SMs run best at? My main track is a tight, technical 1.8 mile track with only 2 straightaways and 14 turns, if that matters. Thanks.

Reggie,

That's why you test.... Run a test day before a race and take data. Air pressures are somewhat driver, track and setup driven. I am sure Hoosier can give you a "generic" start point if you give them a ring.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Reggie,

That's why you test.... Run a test day before a race and take data. Air pressures are somewhat driver, track and setup driven. I am sure Hoosier can give you a "generic" start point if you give them a ring.

A polite way of saying "spend the money and figure it out for yourself" :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

A polite way of saying "spend the money and figure it out for yourself" :D

Not really. Everyone always thinks there is some magic bullet numbers for anything we can adjust. There is a different answer for everybody.

Five minutes on Hoosier's website gives a starting range pressure with some input on adjustment. How hard was that? And to dial in his number, for his car and his track, requires testing to zero in on the best value. Or just run the Hoosier recommended figures and that is probably good for 90% of the drivers seat of the pants G-meter. If you not running at the pointy end in nationals, its probably good enough.

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Gatoratty

Gatoratty

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:3
http://www.midatlant...r_tire_tips.htm
Paul McLester
SM #3

Gatoratty

Gatoratty

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
The above link says everything I have ever been told about curing the tires and setup.
Paul McLester
SM #3

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41
Much of the same information, plus a little more:

http://www.tirerack....nty/HOOSIER.pdf

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:01 ITA

http://www.midatlanticmotorsport.com/hoosier_tire_tips.htm

http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/HOOSIER.pdf

Wow, big difference in recommended hot pressures in those links.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Thanks for your replies. I had the tires a week or 10 days before my last race and before the break=in and the race, I read both the sites sent by gatoratty and Tom prior to asking my original question. NOTE the conflict, however.

One site is generic Hoosier (advising higher than usual RA-1 pressures)and the other is A6/R6 specific, which recommends lower than RA-1s. The R6 specific info says to set HOT pressures from 31-34+. I had time to heat cycle the tires EXACTLY as they recommended, and they felt awesome on the last two laps. So, I then set the cold pressures per instructions, in the middle of the high and low COLD setting recommendations and let them set for a week. At the track I practiced with them at the cold settings, and adjusted the hot pressures to fit the 31-34 bracket with the result of 1:27 fastest, which is comparable to the RA-1s in this hot 95+ temps. In the race later that day, I had set them to 33 psi HOT, which is only 1lb. lower than the highest HOT pressure they recommended,viz, 34 psi (plus). They were NO BETTER than RA-1, and probably worse.

MY initial conclusion, which prompted my question: they needed at least 37-38 psi JUST LIKE THE RA-1s.

Please LET ME REFINE MY QUESTION: What should be the range of HOT temps on a tight 1.8 mile track like Barber or ciruit Grand Bayou? (Low-high maxs in hot weather on rough asphalt). Maybe this additional information and clarification of my question will make your answer harder/easier. I had done my homework, but I still don't know the max-min HOT temps for mid-90 ambient temps in the South. Thanks again.

Gatoratty

Gatoratty

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
And yet another one with different hot pressures.
http://www.racetire....ucts/tctips.htm
Paul McLester
SM #3

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

And yet another one with different hot pressures.
http://www.racetire....ucts/tctips.htm

AHAA! Gatoratty, that is the Answer I've been looking for : hot temps 180-200 AND 35-38 PSI! My tire temps were much lower: 156 low to 176 high, from coldest reading to hottest reading-not on the same tire of course. So, I need to increase pressures and monitor temps. I can do this, now that I see they CAN go hotter than 34 degrees and I know the temp range is up to 200 degrees. These tires are new to many of us-certainly to me, as they are my first set. Live and learn. Thanks to all.

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

AHAA! Gatoratty, that is the Answer I've been looking for : hot temps 180-200 AND 35-38 PSI! My tire temps were much lower: 156 low to 176 high, from coldest reading to hottest reading-not on the same tire of course. So, I need to increase pressures and monitor temps. I can do this, now that I see they CAN go hotter than 34 degrees and I know the temp range is up to 200 degrees. These tires are new to many of us-certainly to me, as they are my first set. Live and learn. Thanks to all.

Reggie,

If you are not heating the tires to operating temp, you are not working them hard enough.

I don't think you will see the results you are looking for at the combinations you list above. Also, if you are taking temperatures by yourself, in the paddock, you are wasting your time. Flying into the hot pit and having a person standing by to take them is marginally useful, but not great.

You have seen three different "sheets" from Hooosier. Why don't you just call and talk to one of their tire engineers?

Also, don't be surprised if can't see a difference in ultimate "best" lap time from the Hoosier to RA-1.

James York

sponsored by: