10 replies to this topic

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1990
After input from a bunch of people at the DEs I attended, along with some of the forums im on, on buying a cheap track car to beat up on, and something that you can actually "learn" to drive with, I posted a feeler ad for my 2004 CTS-V last week to stir up some interest, and had a buyer within a day. The car was killing me on consumeables, wasnt great for constant tracking, and wasnt good for learning how to actually drive fast. I wasnt looking to get into open wheel racing at all, just taking something to the track every once in a while and having fun without draining my wallet.

I searched everywhere for a track prepped Miata that was in somewhat decent condition body-wise, engine was stock, but still had some suspension and safety mods already done that I didnt have to worry about, and around $5k. I was also looking for something with a few creature comforts where I could drive to and from the events with that were really close by (a/c, p/s, radio) and was streetable (Sebring is about 40 miles from me). Most of the stuff I found was either a full-out race car that was out of my budget, a track-prepped street car with a bunch of engine mods (supercharger, turbo), or a bone stock car.

I finally came across a car that was caged, had seats, harnesses, and suspension, but stock engine, trans, p/s, a/c, radio, etc., and was in my budget. Called up the owner, whittled him down on the price, bought a plane ticket to CT, and drove it back last Thursday/Friday. Here's the ad:

http://www.racingjun...-Full-Cage.html

So far, I have changed a few things out....

SPAL fans w/ override switch in passenger compartment (quick cooldown when idling in pits)
Sparco Evo 2 Plus seat (Sparco Sprint V didnt fit me well)
Schroth Profi II 6 pt HANS compatable harness (drivers side - got rid of 4 point G-Force harness car came with)
RCI 5 point harness (passenger side - to replace the 4 point)
MOMO Suede 320mm steering wheel (OMP wheel a bit too big for me)
New Quick Release (current quick release has a little play in it)
Dunlop Star Spec tires (previous owner put on cheap G-Force sports to get me home in the rain, 1200 miles. Shaved RA-1s werent going to cut it)
FlyinMiata Springs and bumpstops (better/stiffer than the crappy Racing Beats in there, which are sagging)

Also picked up all new fluids for everything, a bunch of roll bar padding, and repainted the interior and roll cage white (was a light gray before)

Here are some pics:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Be sure to tack weld that steering spline to your steering column.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Be sure to tack weld that steering spline to your steering column.

Well I was actually planning on having the spline COMPLETELY welded onto the steering column since the columns can be had anywhere for very cheap if I need to replace it in the future. The one that is on there now is completely welded on, so I'm removing the column and putting a new one in. I picked one up for $60 locally.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
That's fine. My point was don't rely on the threads and set screws alone.

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:91
Looks like you have a nice little track rat there. And you've spent your money wisely, I believe: safety gear before go-fast gear. A couple of observations: the roll-cage padding isn't the good stuff, you may want to upgrade to the stuff that is designed for helmet/bar impact protection. Pay careful attention to seat mounting. FIA composite seats lack an upper brace to take the high lateral and fore/aft loads that occur in accidents. The Miata floor isn't up to FIA specs for mounting and some care is needed to mount the seat safely. Nice harnesses don't help much when you are no longer attached to the floor.

What did you do for shocks?

Have fun!
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Looks like you have a nice little track rat there. And you've spent your money wisely, I believe: safety gear before go-fast gear. A couple of observations: the roll-cage padding isn't the good stuff, you may want to upgrade to the stuff that is designed for helmet/bar impact protection. Pay careful attention to seat mounting. FIA composite seats lack an upper brace to take the high lateral and fore/aft loads that occur in accidents. The Miata floor isn't up to FIA specs for mounting and some care is needed to mount the seat safely. Nice harnesses don't help much when you are no longer attached to the floor.

What did you do for shocks?

Have fun!

It currently has adjustable Koni yellows.

Yeah I'll be ordering some new padding, I didn't know the difference until AFTER I bought this stuff. But it was only like a dollar a foot so I didnt lose too much money.

Hm, I didnt think of that about the seat mounting, I'll have to take a look into the best way to mount. I know the current seat is bolted through the floor with backing plates underneath the car, and the front and rear stock seat "humps" cut out.

Also, I was impressed with the Schroth harness kit; comes with all the mounting hardware and some serious heavy duty backing plates for the two sub straps.

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
Door bars and a halo seat would be my first priority.

Must have been a fun drive from CT to FL. :blink:
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Door bars and a halo seat would be my first priority.

Must have been a fun drive from CT to FL. :blink:

absolutely horrific. i'll never do that again.

GPS took me right through NYC, car overheated in traffic b/c the fans werent working, got rear ended by a tractor trailer waiting in line at the tollbooth because he didnt see me at all (about a 5 mph bump), A/C wasn't working, radio wasn't working, previous owner was 5'4" so my knees were crunched up against the dashboard with the way the seat was mounted, got a stomach virus mid-way through the journey.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

absolutely horrific. i'll never do that again.

GPS took me right through NYC, car overheated in traffic b/c the fans werent working, got rear ended by a tractor trailer waiting in line at the tollbooth because he didnt see me at all (about a 5 mph bump), A/C wasn't working, radio wasn't working, previous owner was 5'4" so my knees were crunched up against the dashboard with the way the seat was mounted, got a stomach virus mid-way through the journey.

Always good to have a story. Glad that's your's and not mine, tho'.

-tch

-tch

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Always good to have a story. Glad that's your's and not mine, tho'.

-tch

haha! I was about ready to ditch it around the VA area, throw a for sale sign on it, and fly home. Now that it's here and just a track car, it's growing on me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users