• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

MitchBov

MitchBov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey Guys,

I am a current student at florida institute of technology in florida and over the past couple summers i have gone along with my dad to many races at lime rock, Watkins Glen, New Jersey motor-sports park, etc. I am now dying to get into the sport and was thinking about a Miata to start everything off with. My dad races a 1970 boss 302 and he just purchased the new 2012 boss to continue racing with, obviously as a college student money is a little tight and i highly doubt he will be willing to give me the old boss. I am very hands on and have completely restored my own 1969 torino so the work won't be the problem and i have enough saved up to buy something decent within about a 10,000 dollar budget but If you have any ideas of cars to start with, things to do to them first to get it good enough to start racing with, or ideas of other fast competitive alternatives please feel free to let me know. Also does it make more sense to start with a used spec miata with all race hardware already installed or is it better to start with a used cheap miata and build it up from the ground. One last question, from what i can tell all miata's are convertible and the hard top cars you see are only semi hard top (they can be removed) is that the case or are there true hard top cars? Do you have to wear arm restraints in all miatas while racing?

Thanks so much,
Mitch B

Kevin Anderson

Kevin Anderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Hey Guys,

I

Thanks so much,
Mitch B

anyone of the used miatas in the classified will probably beat both of his Boss mustangs on the track. And yes buy one already built. No arm restraints needed with hardtop on
Kevin Anderson
Kevin@techsportracing.com
www.techsportracing.com

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Miatas are great training cars, and a great place to start racing. Your $10k figure is perfectly workable, although you won't have a top-flight car for that. Don't worry about it, get in there and race. To some extent the harder you have to work for a win, the more you'll learn in the process.

For most drivers, buying a pre-built car works out better. If you have both skills and time, building your own is more satisfying. Most folks advocate buying, but either way can work out -- it's up to you.

Yes, the cars are all convertibles -- the hard tops bolt on (which does require some change from the OEM method, where they're secured with clamps). Once secured, the tops are very solid. No restraints required, although I think you can remove the window net if you use them. I don't know anybody that does use them, but there are probably a few.

Come join the party!

MitchBov

MitchBov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Awesome thanks guys. Im going to start my search to find a car and hopefully I will be on the track soon!

Mike Colangelo

Mike Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Region:Cal Club (SoCal)

anyone of the used miatas in the classified will probably beat both of his Boss mustangs on the track.

Not the 2012 Boss Mustang. No way.

MitchBov

MitchBov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Not the 2012 Boss Mustang. No way.

Ya the new Boss is really killer ford did a great job. Held up great at new jersey motor sports park we were running 1:21 on Lightning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users