Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

I'd like to know why my g-force camlock belts are only good for two years if i get the pull up belts(SFI) but 5 years if i get the pull down (FIA) ??SAME BELTS I'll tell you why because SFI is in the extortion business. plain and simple. they do no testing on any of these products all they do is sell stickers.

That actually sounds like an issue with the manufacturer and the way the cert business works in general, not the sanctioning body or either cert org. G-force certified them to different rules owned by different orgs. Even if each both belts behave exactly the same, the patch they bought from one says 2 years and the other says 5. That's the cert business I know.

There could have been a reason where something unexpected happened in a test and they didn't behave the same. That stuff happens all the time. It could have just been that they tested for SFI, sent their paperwork in with a check, got their SFI cert, and then decided not to go through the whole process all over for the FIA cert.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

hoverducky

hoverducky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:86
I've got a model year 2007 HANS with both SFI 38.1 and FIA 8858-2002 stickers. SCCA's new rule allows either spec, and FIA 8858-2002 does not appear to contain any reference to date or a requirement to recertify the device, so I think I'm good. I also think it will be an interesting conversation in tech next spring. Worst case I figure I have to peel the SFI sticker off.

Scott

Dave Cox

Dave Cox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Region:Blackhawk Valley
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23
I was looking at my HANS last night. I believe mine is either from '03 or '04 which was before the SFI certification, but it does have an FIA 8858-2002 sticker. Was there a point that HANS stopped using the FIA certification and is that where this becomes an issue or is it in the case of a HANS they really do not need to be recertified because they are FIA certified as well?

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Only ones with an FIA sticker are FIA certified. Doesn't matter if it's the same device or not. The certification goes to individual units, not the design itself.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Dennis

Dennis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:27
This is from the NASA 2011 CCR

15.17.8 Head and Neck Restraint
Use of a head and neck restraint system or device, carrying an SFI 38.1 certification label, is mandatory for all drivers as of July 2, 2008. References and information can be found in “Appendix D,” section #29.0 of the CCR. Additionally, HANS brand devices with FIA 8858-2002 or FIA 8858-2010 certification labels are acceptable in lieu of SFI 38.1 labels.

My HANS is from 7/2006. It has both SFI and FIA stickers. Unless NASA changes this section in 2012 CCR I think I'm good without the SFI recertification.

Dennis
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

can i just buy new stickers from Impact?

LMAO!!!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

George Munson

George Munson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:27
I just sent my Hans out for recert last Friday and I got it back yesterday. Cost was $15.00 plus shipping back. You can either go to their web site or call in your order. They will e-mail you something to place in the box with the device. It was fast and now I'm good for 5 years. :king:

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

i'd bet most devices will need tethers or something else. i doubt HANS will do anything for just $15.

Tethers have 5 year recertification, too. Date is on the tether. I sent my Hans today and they promised it back next week. Cost was Recertification $15, Tethers (sliding) $40, shipping $15, Total $70.

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:WDC - NASA Mid-Atl
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:04
I checked my Dfender yesterday. SFI cert dated 11/2009. Sticker still in "valid" shape. I guess I am good for another 3 years?
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I have the Hutchens Hybrid Pro, I Talked to the vender that sold it to me, he said that they do not need to be re certified, that they tethers are made of kevlar and they last forever.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users