Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I have to admit, I rarely if ever used to watch Nascar, but when Montoya came over, I started watching pretty regularly. I watch more races now, admittedly with my finger on the FF button for much of the race..

IMO, I think NASCAR made a big mistake with this "boys have at it" policy . I always hated the Dale Earnhardt Sr days of him spinning out competitors for the win on the final lap(s). IMO that type of racing is total BS. This NEW policy is appeasing to the lowest common denominator of their fans. I would bet they have far less redneck fans as many suspect and despite popular opinion, I think many like to see the racing, not the wrecking.

Instead of this boys have at it policy, perhaps they should have stepped in and moved anyone who did the spin and win move to DFL, that would stop it instantly. Lots of P3 guys would be winning races, but I don't think it would take long for the drivers to get the message.

Watching Tony Stewart and Jimmie Johnson race the last few laps at Martinsville last week was fun. They raced hard and Jimmie could have easily nudged him out of the way and didn't. That's what I like to watch, not the side show they have had the last 18 months or so.

The latest with Kyle Busch is almost funny to me, admittedly, I like Kyle as I think the guy is one of the best in any form of racing. Nascar came down on him hard for doing the same thing as most do weekly now. I realize he dumped Hornaday under caution and during a title race, but I would rather be dumped at caution speed than full speed at Texas if I had any say in it. Also, cars are racing for the championship from week one. Not sure how Edwards almost kills Keselowski twice and never gets penalized?

Terrible policy that they started, an embarrassment to auto racing IMO. Just as bad to enforce your non rule or wrecking each other so unfairly depending on which driver it is. I have no problem with them parking Busch, but they should have started that two years ago and with all who took similar actions on track. There is now very little respect between most drivers and a blatant disregard for each others safety

Opinions?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137
I cannot believe the slap on the wrist this knucklehead got this weekend. IMO he could have easily killed himself and a competitor. If you can't manage your emotions you have no business driving for my company. I'm upset that Traxxas and NASCAR wouldn't both publically censure him. This behavior shouldn't sell and it's not entertainment.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Kyle can drive a car like few others, incredible talent. So with all that talent why does he have to act like such a little asshole? By the way, this is the same reason I didn't like Senna and Schumacher - great drivers - of the best ever - but spoiled, arrogant pricks.

I think NASCAR should let them kill each other, it would be great for ratings.

PS: we haven't heard the full outcome yet - M&M is not pleased. Losing a major sponsor might educate young Busch.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
I just think it undermines the little bit of legitimacy that NASCAR represents in the sport. It's like the WWE of racing.

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

joeg5982

joeg5982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:wny-scca
  • Car Year:1982
  • Car Number:15
Kyle--Complete A-hat.

My concern generally is what will happen someday in the pits when some acrimony will be carried in under a caution; a spin will occur and a crewman will die.

Bad news...

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
hang on, I'll watch the clip in a moment. I'm just finishing this week's episode of "Hillybilly Hand Fishing."
  • Jim Drago, Steve D and Todd Green like this

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
We do lots of kart racing, many young kids involved including my Grand Daughter, and they see what goes on in NASCAR and they think it's ok to do in karting also. Bad example of racing to all. :nonono:
  • Blake Thompson likes this

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

trey

trey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:SCCA Houston
  • Car Year:2006
  • Car Number:5
Busch needs to be parked for at least a year.

Go look at the tape , he could just spun Hornaday by pushing on the left rear , but he moved over to the right rear so that he would hook him head on into the wall. Even under caution it was a big hit.

Most likely the most talented guy out there , but if he can't control his emotions better than that , the sanctioning body needs to park him to prevent him from hurting others.
  • jrcon31 likes this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
Not disagreeing Trey, but what about the other 100 instances?

Edwards/keselowski deal at Gateway and where he flipped him over last year come to mind? Having a hard time seeing why any is permitted at all, even harder figuring out why one is penalized and others are not?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

We do lots of kart racing, many young kids involved including my Grand Daughter, and they see what goes on in NASCAR and they think it's ok to do in karting also. Bad example of racing to all. :nonono:

That is the biggest reason to stop the non-sense. :prayer:
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Edwards/keselowski deal at Gateway and where he flipped him over last year come to mind? Having a hard time seeing why any is permitted at all, even harder figuring out why one is penalized and others are not?

"Boys have at it" is about the behavior of drivers and not to allow them to intentionally wreck each other. By your own admission you don't follow stock car racing and I think the discussion is based on hyperbole and stereotypes. The redneck jokes are cute but how many of you have been to a touring series stock car race? It's much the same as if the guys at the Bullring thought all road racers did was walk around in the paddock asking each other if they had any Grey Poupon.

Mike Helton said that there were many factors that lead to the decision to park Busch, including his history and the fact Hornaday was going for the championship. One difference between the Edwards/Kes dustup and Busch is that Carl got out of the car and said right away he just meant to rough him up, not flip him and apologizes. Busch OTOH intentionally drove him into the wall then afterward blamed Hornaday. Given the situation they parked him, costing the team several hundred thousand dollars in year end points money because of how far they slipped, fined Busch $50k and said if he acts up again, in any way for the rest of the season he'll get an indefinite suspension. If you ask me, too light. He needed to be parked for the rest of the year, larger fine and enough owners points docked so the 18 doesn't have a guaranteed spot the remainder of this year and going into Daytona.

Like it or not, bump and dump has been a part of stock car racing for decades. You aren't going to take the contact out. There will always be some.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

"Boys have at it" is about the behavior of drivers and not to allow them to intentionally wreck each other. By your own admission you don't follow stock car racing and I think the discussion is based on hyperbole and stereotypes. The redneck jokes are cute but how many of you have been to a touring series stock car race? It's much the same as if the guys at the Bullring thought all road racers did was walk around in the paddock asking each other if they had any Grey Poupon.

Like it or not, bump and dump has been a part of stock car racing for decades. You aren't going to take the contact out. There will always be some.

Boys have at, regardless of what it was supposed to be, regardless of what you think it is.. Has turned into.. If someone pisses you off or you feel you were roughed up, it is OK to wreck someone elses race car.. None of which they own by the way.

That DOES appeal to the lowest common denominator of fan IMO, the lowest common denominator of fans mostly wear 88 T shirts :) ( while pretty accurate, that was mostly a joke)

two different statements there..
bump and dump is total BS, no other way to put it. If the lead car isn't blocking and you dump him to win, You are a POS, plain and simple.

Contact happens between guys racing hard, most have no problem with that at all, I certainly don't.

I have watched Nascar for 20 years, haven't missed a race since Montoya came in.. besides that I am a bonified circle track racer now, I did three 10 minute heat races at Lanier Speedway in my SM :) I'm no rookie :pimp: :ph34r:
  • pat slattery likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Precedence. Kyle has done this shit kind of before and is currently under probation for something already. However, I agree Carl's 2nd turning of Brad should have had this sort of penalty (or more IMO).
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I think we should just give them bigger restrictors and more weight for next season. That should fix everything...

Maybe even make them fill out an incident report for any swapped paint within 30 minutes of leaving the track. Then the race director can penalize accordingly, without even calling them in to tell them what he decision is.

NASCAR makes more money the more publicity they get so... how is putting someone in the wall a bad thing? Seems to fit their business model to me. I rarely watch as I cannot stand the comentators, but if you want entertainment value NASCAR is it. I could see how M&M wouldnt be the best fit!

As for Busch, he needs a more fitting sponsor, how about this one Grand Theft Auto

K. Webb