• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

RJ-19

RJ-19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
Ok, so here come the first questions... IT = ??? I take it this is another less restricted, or more open classification? Or something that will help me from a cost standpoint? I don't see myself racing outside the Midwest as I don't have the travel budget or free time for more than a 6-8 hour one-way drive to the track on a regular basis.

Thanks for the advice about posting to the region. I just figured better to tag on to this thread and not be the new guy putting up yet another "new guy" thread.

Technical question related to this site - What browser do most you use? Like every three or four clicks with IE8 the site crashes my browser. It usually reloads itself, but still kind of hastle.

Ryan J
Go easy on the new guy... My favorite corner on the track is the "Learning Curve"

Posted Image

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
IT stands for Improved Touring. It is regional only racing, no national class, very grass roots IMO. We actually did a race this year in SM that was combined with IT, that normally doesnt happen as they typically run IT seperate from SM so that you can run both classes if you wish. The guys in IT were actually ver good racers although most of their cars were a bit slower than soem of the top SM's. Now I do not race in IT and do not profess to know alot about it, but it is far more open than SM, many different makes of cars racing each other. Nothing stopping you from racing IT, then if you want to race more seriously (when I say seriously I mean races with more cars all in the same class) you prep your car to SM trim.

If you plan your racing right and your just out to have fun you race IT with SCCA, and PT with NASA. The rules are different for IT and PT, but from what I have seen tech is non existent, so as long as your not out to intentionally cheat and you just let people know you are coming out for the fun, I seriously doubt you will have anyone raise any hell over it.

Running in IT or PT helps some from a cost standpoint as you can use aftermarket parts, open tires, if you want to put perforamnce enhancements into the car you can it just might bump you up to another IT or PT class.

I dont think anyone will get angry no matter how you post to your region! Welcome to MazdaRacers!!!!!!! and Racing in general!!!!!!

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Hey Ryan, I've been racing in an ITB car (may come over to SM for a bit for different reasons) and would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Yes, it is currently a regional only category but don't let that fool you. My personal hope is that the majority of the guys with the big buck continue thinking this category is just a lowly regional category. Fine with me. That's actually one of the reasons many of us IT racers don't want IT to become a National Class and be included in the ruboffs. Of course there are more politics involved and it's a much broader discussion.

In the end, popularity and competition breed an influx of money to keep up. You will find some seriously built cars in IT, just like you can in SM. Same thing with talent. You can find some great drivers in SM, and some in IT. You can also find some....other sports may beckon, in both. The two categories are different, not necessarily better or worse.

Absolutely don't feel bad about posting a new guy thread. We all need to start somewhere! Not sure what other info you might find helpful, but over the course of the years I've assembled a site to help the new guys get into this sport which you might find useful. I kinda feel bad about plugging it but since it's all free and SCCA really supports it, I guess it's okay. www.GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com
Dave Gran
Want to learn how to begin racing, tips on building / buying a racecar,
becoming a front-running drive, or get vehicle reviews
from a motorsports enthusiast perspective? Visit our free site:
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Ryan, you location shows central Wisconsin. Where in central Wisconsin?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
IT started as place to race old worn out Showroom Stock cars. Sound familiar. The name actually makes sense, as the car is IMPROVED over stock. Basicly you are allowed bolt on mods. Header, gear ratio, shocks, springs are all open within oem configurations. The catagory was very popular until SM came around. Price of IT cars dropped as the price of SM soared. At least around here, IT fields are down to a few cars per class.

In IT you can spend little money for large gains. A $200 header may get you 6 hp. Front running SM guys are spending thousands to gain 1 or 2 hp. The trade off becomes competition. Does your ego need to win, even if there are only 2 cars in class? Or is having a great race for 13th acceptable.

A 90-97 SM can run in ITA. Many areas have passed a rule specificly saying this. Areas that have not, usually have SMT or something similar as a second race group for SM. Only a couple items make a SM illegal for ITA, changing from a 1.6 to 1.8 diff, disabled p/s, subframe braces and something else that I never remember. Most people ignore the minor differences.

99+ SM's run in ITS with no real issues. In Midwestern Council, I passed a rule many years ago, allowing any SM, no matter what year, to run ITA if they run 100% SM legal. Weight, plate, tires etc.

Ryan, between Midwestern Council and SCCA, you can race about 15 weekends and only travel 2 miles outside of Wisconsin. Between Road America, Milwaukee Mile and Blackhawk (just over the border into Illinois) you can wear out a car with very little travel time. No need to drive 6 hours each way unless you really want to.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
As with many categories, participation number certainly vary by locale. In the North East and the WDCR, we have strong fields including driver talent. Maybe not as big of a field as SM, but big enough (18+ cars in ITB). In the end it's about having someone to race hard with and have fun. IT and SM also have different styles of racing, again for better or worse.
Dave Gran
Want to learn how to begin racing, tips on building / buying a racecar,
becoming a front-running drive, or get vehicle reviews
from a motorsports enthusiast perspective? Visit our free site:
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users