FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I thought I would start a thread on how to save a buck, were people with some story's about how to save a buck can post for the group.

I figured I needed this since I am going to be buying extra rims and tires so I can run both NASA and SCCA next year.

So this is my tip:

Buying tires at Discount tire and other places:

My daughter who is been driving for a few years has a propensity to run into things like curbs and so on and she is on the second replacement tire in the last six months.

I go on line at discount tire to see tire will cost. When I go to the store near my house to buy the tire, that guy at the counter gives me a price about 15.00 more than the on line price. I just ask him to match the on-line price and he does so with no problem. No sense giving money away, I would rather spend it on my track addition.

Anyone else have a tip.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Mike Colangelo

Mike Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Region:Cal Club (SoCal)
I find that the local race prep shops can mount and balance race tires a lot cheaper than the local big chain tires stores. Plus, they are familiar with the process and don't freak out when you walk in with R compound tires.

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
I will stop by every tire store that carries or can order Toyos and ask them if they happen to have a set of RA1's in a 205x50x15....Sometimes they might have a set that someone ordered and never picked up. Scored a nice price on a set 2 years ago for considerable savings. Also check prices at Tirerack.com. Also check the internet to see who might be unloading tires. Earlier this year an online tire dealer was selling R888's for about $75 a tire. And don't forget there are racers who toss tires after 10 heat cycles. Those make good practice tires and will work well for mid pack guys. Figure 150/set.

Bill-
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Stephanie Andersen

Stephanie Andersen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:Midwestern Council
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:138
Befriend some Nationals guys that only run one or two heat cycles on their tires. I've only bought one new set of tires in the three seasons I've been racing.
Stephanie Andersen
Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs and Milwaukee Region SCCA/Cen Div
SM #138

Buy some parts so I can go racing!
ISellMiataParts.com

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Befriend some Nationals guys that only run one or two heat cycles on their tires. I've only bought one new set of tires in the three seasons I've been racing.

I'm sure my eyelashes aren't long enough and I smell like a guy... :crying2:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Stephanie Andersen

Stephanie Andersen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

I'd be the first to admit when I use the 'girl' card, but it's actually the bf that gets the tires from his friends. I get the leftovers after he has first dibs. Some guys just want them out of their shop and will sell them for a nice price.
Stephanie Andersen
SM #138

ISellMiataParts.com

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:30

Shouldn't be a problem in the SF Region. :lol:
  • Stephanie Andersen likes this

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:Cincy Region SCCA
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:10 SM

I thought I would start a thread on how to save a buck, were people with some story's about how to save a buck can post for the group. I figured I needed this since I am going to be buying extra rims and tires so I can run both NASA and SCCA next year. So this is my tip: Buying tires at Discount tire and other places: My daughter who is been driving for a few years has a propensity to run into things like curbs and so on and she is on the second replacement tire in the last six months. I go on line at discount tire to see tire will cost. When I go to the store near my house to buy the tire, that guy at the counter gives me a price about 15.00 more than the on line price. I just ask him to match the on-line price and he does so with no problem. No sense giving money away, I would rather spend it on my track addition. Anyone else have a tip.

1. Get rid of the Daughter! OK, probably not practical, but maybe get her into autocrossing to improve skills.*

2. Dyno tune your car for Regular pump gas.

3. Take care and support the volunteers (I've had more than one wayward part hand delivered to me after a track session).

4. Don't take your credit card to the strip club.

* Careful on this one, I now pay for my daughter's autocrossing and Track Days

Jerry Cabe
2014 Cincy Region Race Chair

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I'd be the first to admit when I use the 'girl' card, but it's actually the bf that gets the tires from his friends. I get the leftovers after he has first dibs. Some guys just want them out of their shop and will sell them for a nice price.

You know i'm teasing! I say all's fair in love and tire scrounging :yep:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Stephanie Andersen

Stephanie Andersen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

You know i'm teasing! I say all's fair in love and tire scrounging :yep:

LOL, sure is!
Stephanie Andersen
SM #138

ISellMiataParts.com

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I have two more I can think of this one is regarding Speeding tickets. Before I started the track habit, I found myself satisfying my need for speed on the street. I strung up a pretty good record locally. I know there are books out there about how to beat a speeding ticket, I have never read them so that might help you also but this is from my experience and in-depth knowledge of the forgoing:

You will not save money on the fine but what you can try and save money on is the points on your license and consequently a significant increase in your insurance rates.

As you know, i have already told you about my daughter, I also have a teen age son, "Oh Ya", an insurance agents dream customer. So I am always trying to keep my point count low.

In general the police are interested in Safety but they are also interested in the local monetary fund. Not everyone can drive as safe as you at 20 mph over the limit. so tickets serve a good purpose.

Point one. Never be an ass and talk back to the cop. If you want any chance of reducing the ticket to a non moving violation, you need to just man up and take the ticket. You get no place fast being an ass. on the other hand. being honest sometimes gets you points. (another story for later)

Once you get the ticket, it generally has a court date and location and time of hearing. Before this hearing, you need to look up the court, and call the clerk of courts and find out who the prosecutor is for this court handling the matter. This will be important for two reasons, one, this is the person you are going to negotiate with and two, if you need more time and a continuance this is the person who can get it.

Tell the prosecutor you do not mind paying the fine, but you just do not want the points on your license. the term used is you want to do a "bond forfeiture". You post bond ( the fine) and then at the end of the plea deal they keep your money.

You want to ask that they reduce the violation to a non moving violation, like faulty muffler, tail light and so on. This is the key to not getting the insouciance companies interest. The key on speed violations.

The prosecutor is happy and they were able to keep the money and not spend the time trying the case. You are happy because you did not get points, or a report of speed that gets directly transmitted to your insurance company.

If you cannot work out a deal, you have two choices. One, just pay the fine, you are right where your started, or two, hire a lawyer locally that my be able to help.

Does this work all the time, No. in fact I can tell you for sure in York county South Carolina, ( just south of Charlotte on I 77), It will not work. Don't ask me how I know.

But it never hurts to try and mitigate the pain of a ticket.

BTW, this is not legal advise or intended on giving legal advise or an attempt to counsel you on the law.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
We go to the locally owned Firestone chain store for tires and anything I can't or I'm not equipped to do in my shop. Just dropped a grand a few months back on a set of nice high end Michilens for honey's ride. Cheaper than Costco, great service. They stock R888s for autoX and can order RA-1s for me, just a bit cheaper than an SM tire joint or the guy at the track. They don't shave tires and they can't get Hoosiers. And most importantly, they aren't at the track. If it's a spec tire and not to outrageously priced, I'd rather get it from the people at the track that support the sport.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users