Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
I think we are in the presence of greatness!!!!. Vettel's q3 session today was just incredible. Sure you need the car, but Webber just cannot do it in the same car. Hamilton is good, Button great in the wet (so depending on tomorrow's weather could be interesting) but Vettel is just sublime!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

cpdenis

cpdenis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Number:09
Not taking anything away from Vettel's lap, but you can't really believe Webber is in an equal car.
CP

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

Not taking anything away from Vettel's lap, but you can't really believe Webber is in an equal car.
CP

I can't speak for Danny, but yes, I believe Mark has the same equipment, or at least access to the same equipment as Seb. If it were not so we would hear it loud and clear from the Oz. In any event Mark was only off by a 10th so hardly a bad showing. Both of them are exceptional but Seb is clearly more gifted.

Cnj
  • Jim Drago likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I think we are in the presence of greatness!!!!.

Yep, Drago is a good guy but let's not get carried away.... :whistling:

Vettel is going to be one of the all time greats. Even das Kinn seems to think so. As far as the cars, while they have the same chassis and equipment, Vettel clearly gets preferential treatment. For example at the 2010 Brit GP where they had but one experimental wing for each car and Vettel broke his then the team took the wing from Webber. It's also not uncommon for the team to make changes to the car to better suit the lead drivers. The team my say they have no order but it's clear Webber is not the lead driver. I'd rather think the car is tweaked for Seb and Mark needs to adapt.

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

Yep, Drago is a good guy but let's not get carried away.... :whistling:

Vettel is going to be one of the all time greats. Even das Kinn seems to think so. As far as the cars, while they have the same chassis and equipment, Vettel clearly gets preferential treatment. For example at the 2010 Brit GP where they had but one experimental wing for each car and Vettel broke his then the team took the wing from Webber. It's also not uncommon for the team to make changes to the car to better suit the lead drivers. The team my say they have no order but it's clear Webber is not the lead driver. I'd rather think the car is tweaked for Seb and Mark needs to adapt.

No argument that Vettel is going be one of the all time greats. Not sure about your position on car tweaks. I have been in a F1 garage and there is no lack of bodies, data aquasition, tools and capability to provide whatever unique car set up each driver wants - and they do indeed ask for and get different set ups.

Cnj.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

No argument that Vettel is going be one of the all time greats. Not sure about your position on car tweaks. I have been in a F1 garage and there is no lack of bodies, data aquasition, tools and capability to provide whatever unique car set up each driver wants - and they do indeed ask for and get different set ups.

Cnj.

The have access to the same tubs and tools but it's no secret in F1 that some of the cars are designed to favor the style of a particular driver. That happens in design, layup and the autoclave, long before the cars reach a GP. Mercedes GP is another example where the current car was built with a lot of input from das Kinn to suit his style and Nico has to adapt to the car. The teams use the input from the lead driver to develop a car that best suits their particular driving style. I don't know how close you follow F1 in the European press but it's no secret the basic car design is based on the lead driver. I'm not saying that Webber has the raw talent that Seb has but Seb being able to post a 0.5 sec gap and a hot lap most anytime he pleases suggests that it's a combination of a great driver and a car designed around his driving style.

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

I think we are in the presence of greatness!!!!. Vettel's q3 session today was just incredible. Sure you need the car, but Webber just cannot do it in the same car. Hamilton is good, Button great in the wet (so depending on tomorrow's weather could be interesting) but Vettel is just sublime!

I agree with Danny. Knocking .2 off his already pole winning time was a punctuation mark to Hamilton. And with wounded transmission he still finished the race with was it, nine seconds on P3? The guy is from a different time zone.
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year