Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Tom, it's not spec racing. Red Bull built a better car than everyone else. And it's not just money (although money does create opportunity). Maybe their aero guy had a magical moment and thought of something nobody else did. That happened lots of times in the last few years.

Show me 4 equally smart nerds under 4 trees and hit them all on the head with an apple. Probably only Newton is going to put it all together. The rest are more likely to start thinking about pie, except for one guy who jumps up and exclaims "f-duct" and has no idea why.
  • Cnj and Jim Drago like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Adrian Newey.

Nicely done Moose and Squirrel. Boris and Natasha would be proud. Hows about Ross Brawn and Jean Todt when they had a wardrobe with lots of red...

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Tom, it's not spec racing. Red Bull built a better car than everyone else. And it's not just money (although money does create opportunity). Maybe their aero guy had a magical moment and thought of something nobody else did. That happened lots of times in the last few years.

Off throttle blown diffuser, which will not be legal next year. Basically when the throttle is off the ECU still has the engine generate enough exhaust to apply down force to the diffuser so there is still sufficient aero grip through the corner even though the speed of the car can't produce it, the exhaust channeled back through the diffuser can. It's absolute genius the way they came up with it.

Here's a bit about it on the official F1 site.

http://www.formula1....11/6/12186.html

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32
Tom,

I'm, along with my wife, a committed F1 fan. I think to some extent my enjoyment is a function of growing up overseas (her in UK and SA and me in SA) where F1 is like NASCAR here and to some extent its due to the fact that I love road racing and high tech. F1 for me is also more than just the track racing, it's also about the technology race. I have had the chance to be in an F1 garage and the level of data aquasition capability, real time factory communication and the engineering beauty of the cars combined with team prep is just totally off the charts. I have also spent the last year or so working on the COTA track as technology consultant and the level of FIA, FOM and team requirements enthralls me. When you hear of the F1 circus its no understatement, they travel with a media team of over 400. I work extensively in pro sports and nothing comes close to this scale.

Then there is the racing. Until you see an F1 race live it's hard to explain/believe the sound or the direction changes and braking capacity of these cars. Its like watching a video game. The skills of these drivers is on another planet which is much more apparent when seen live. I enjoy IRL but I was recently at the road race at Baltimore and that series is a long way back from F1, at least from a speed and accuracy of driving point of view. So with all of this said, I don't get stressed about one guy running at the front, I simply wonder at how they (RB) got to be so totally brilliant so quickly and I applaud their achievement. It won't last.

Now if only Bobby and Bernie will sign a deal this week.

Cnj
  • Jim Drago likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
Now if only Bobby and Bernie will sign a deal this week.

+1000
  • Jim Drago likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
Name another sport where the owner/sponsors spend over a half a B per year!
Ferrari, McLaren and probably Red Bull all do and Renault/Lotus are not far behind. Not sure how the economics work out but I don't care either.

Totally agree that Vettle is in another class as a driver, Weber is no slouch and is in a similar to identically prepped car and he rarely finishes near Seb. Hamilton has the physical talent but his brain gets in the way of him competing more consistently. I like Button, he drives within himself as Seb he just doesn't have the same talent.

Can't wait for the Iceman to return, too bad he didn't get on with a more competative team. He has the skills to go head to head with Seb if given competative car.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Ferrari, McLaren and probably Red Bull all do and Renault/Lotus are not far behind. Not sure how the economics work out but I don't care either.

Totally agree that Vettle is in another class as a driver, Weber is no slouch and is in a similar to identically prepped car and he rarely finishes near Seb. Hamilton has the physical talent but his brain gets in the way of him competing more consistently. I like Button, he drives within himself as Seb he just doesn't have the same talent.

Can't wait for the Iceman to return, too bad he didn't get on with a more competative team. He has the skills to go head to head with Seb if given competative car.

You had me until you said Kimi has the talent to compete with Vettel.. :pimp:

If i am starting a team and wanted to win...
my draft picks are in this order with current drivers...
Vettel
Alonso
Hamilton
Button
Rossberg
Raikkonnen

As far as young guns..
DiResta

If i could throw Kyle Busch in, I put him on that list somewhere as well, even with his big mouth :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

NFL ;)

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

If i could throw Kyle Busch in, I put him on that list somewhere as well, even with his big mouth :)

The most right turnin' that boy has ever done is to put other guys into the fence. He can't handle the pressure of where he is now, F1 would break him.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

NFL ;)

Not even close the 2011 NFL salary cap is 120 million per team.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

The most right turnin' that boy has ever done is to put other guys into the fence. He can't handle the pressure of where he is now, F1 would break him.

That kid may be one of the most naturally gifted drivers EVER.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

You had me until you said Kimi has the talent to compete with Vettel.. :pimp:

If i am starting a team and wanted to win...
my draft picks are in this order with current drivers...
Vettel
Alonso
Hamilton
Button
Rossberg
Raikkonnen

As far as young guns..
DiResta

I'd go with Vettle/Button as my 1-2 team mates, Button could run the alternative tire strategy and the team would be hard to beat.
Pure rankings I would go.

Vettle
Hamilton
Alonso
Raikkonen
Button
kubica, if he ever makes it back

Totally agree with DiResta
And for the two year from now draft
Connor Daily

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I'd go with Vettle/Button as my 1-2 team mates, Button could run the alternative tire strategy and the team would be hard to beat.

I root for Button, I like his style. I identify with him the most... You know, not quite the fastest guy, good looking etc :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

That kid may be one of the most naturally gifted drivers EVER.

Indeed, but it's not the driving part he's having a hard time with.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
They don't have have at it boys in F1 :) May be easier when you know you will be penalized severely for causing damage to another driver etc... Those $$$$ wings don't take to rubbing very well :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

I root for Button, I like he style. I identify with him the most... You know, not quite the fastest guy, good looking etc :)

I don't want him on the team for outright speed, he can make a tire last longer than just about anyone and still turn competative lap times. With the new tires degrading so quickly he could run the long tire strategy to Vettle's mulitichange strategy and one of them should finish P1. As with all my opinions I reserve the right to be totally off base.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Until you see an F1 race live it's hard to explain/believe the sound or the direction changes and braking capacity of these cars.

What he said. Like all motorsports TV just doesn't do F1 justice.

There's a spot at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, the straight leading to the hairpin, where you can stand about 10 feet from the track. Your body literally vibrates when the cars pass, like seeing a top fuel car live.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Back to the Kimster. I don't think you can take a couple years off and expect to come back and be competitive in that crowd. Plus he's a drunk. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.
  • Jim Drago likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I root for Button, I like he style. I identify with him the most... You know, not quite the fastest guy, good looking etc :)

:rotfl: Wait, are we thinking the same Jim Drago... Good looking? You must have started your holiday celebration early!
  • Jim Drago likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA