FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I purchased a transmission that needed rebuilt for a spare, since i have rebuilt mine before. the problem this time is that i really do not know what the issues were with it.

I have torn it apart. I an now going through and examining the parts to see what needs replaces. I noticed the the syncro on the reverse gear was chewed p and it also scored the revers gear. I have taken a picture of the reverse/5th hub and you can see how scored the reverse gear race is (left) and how shiny the fith gear syncro race is (right)

My question, can i get away with polishing this up or will I have to replace the reverse gear? that is an expensive gear I have replaced it before. the problem is that they have changed the gear so you have to replace the idler gear to this gets pricy.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49
I've seen this same issue on a majority (3/5) of the tranny's I've opened. I'm not sure if it is due to people being too impatient with a reverse shift or the damage done by chronic syncro pressure from the spring on the 5/R rod. Regardless, since you will rarely lose time or position in a race by a balky reverse shift, I would just replace the syncro ring and polish up the surface.

Similarly, every reverse gear I've seen has blue-ing on it either due to overheating or heat treatment by Mazda. Did the new one you purchased have this?

AC

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
Thanks for responding AC, you may be on to something as my primary transmission had a bad reverse syncro as well that started to come apart and made it impossible to shift to rev.

I think they have redesigned the gear because when I replaced the last one i could not just replace the gear, I had to spend almost twice as much for the Idler too. So i think its been redesigned.

My rev gear did have heat trace on both of them as well. the new replacement did not.

I have taken off the plastic covers on the bearings and cleaned them, checked the races they all look good.

I think i can get by with new forks, syncros and the fingers on the shift rods. otherwise there is a little wear on the shift hubs but not bad.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
You know Frank, what would be cool is if you blogged or made a thread about the trans rebuild so guys like us that like to tear into those kinds of things can get a good reference, tools, techniques, etc. I've been inside a Saginaw and a Turbo Hydromatic but not the chick car. The Saginaw has 2 fwd and 1 reverse. and except on starts you don't use 1st that much. From when I drove the car on the street for about 10 miles, prior to gutting it, I noticed a 3rd gear shift issue, both up and down. With the trans sitting on the bench I have to keep telling myself "don't open it, you have too much to do, you are months behind already". With that being the case, though, I still have the truck coming by next week with the tools I don't have to work on the chick car trans and diff. That's one of the real beotches in terms of tools coming from karts and stock cars, I didn't have all the big metric wrenches for stuff like the suspension but that's no longer an issue. :whistling:

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

You know Frank, what would be cool is if you blogged or made a thread about the trans rebuild so guys like us that like to tear into those kinds of things can get a good reference, tools, techniques, etc.

http://mazdaracers.c...ission-rebuild/

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
I would love to do it, as Tom pointed out the first time I did this i tried to keep posting and posting pictures as I went. However this forum limits the number of pictures that you can post so I can't put up to much data. or take down prior posted pictures for the new ones.

Dave if you to explain to me how you did your posting of your motor rebuild I would be happy to post some pictures and pointers on the tools and process.

BTW I did get an answer to my question on the rev. gear. the Rev. gear was fine, I just took some 300 grit sand paper and polished it. I ordered all the parts i needed today to get this transmission up to speed.

I have to give Lots of Credit to Karl Zimmermann of KJZ racing in Austin Tx who is always willing to take my call or look at my pictures. Karl showed me how to fabricate the tube wrench and bearing puller you need to tear down a transmission.

If you can rebuild a motor, or do a clutch you have the skill to rebuild a transmission.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Frank-

Wordpress is THE answer.

My blog is wordpress, so is Dave's. Its very easy.

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Another option would be to put it all in a word document and upload it to the "downloads" section. I did that for the hub repack procedure. It might be cool to have a library of these types of procedures that are sorta specific to Miata racecars.

-tch

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

http://mazdaracers.c...ission-rebuild/

Thanks! It's like deja vu all over again. That thread had what I was looking for but I think your idea of repository, blog, pdf, etc is good. I'd participate. The Rod Grainger book mentioned in that thread is also available for a 1.6 http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top Looks like you overdog builders will have to use the 1.8NA book Frank listed in the other thread. http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_b_5 Doesn't look like Rod Grainger did a similar book for the NBs. Think I'll pick one up for my 90.

Yeah Frank, I use Wordpress on a GoDaddy account linked to my Flickr Pro account for the pics. I use Vimeo for what little video I've done for the car though use Go Daddy for what I shot on tour . That tour vid may be NSFW.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
FWIW I use a dreamhost.com account. Bluehost seems to be cheaper at the moment. I self-host all still images, and use vimeo for video.

I like the standalone document idea (duh...since, it was my own) for procedures like this.

I'm sure we could get Drago to assume the quota for useful stuff.

-tch

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Thanks! It's like deja vu all over again. That thread had what I was looking for but I think your idea of repository, blog, pdf, etc is good. I'd participate. The Rod Grainger book mentioned in that thread is also available for a 1.6 http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

The enthusiasts manual should be required reading for all owners who use wrenches. I use it in the shop. I have a chilton's, as well. And, of course the pdf of the FSM.

-tch

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

I use Vimeo for what little video I've done for the car though use Go Daddy for what I shot on tour . That tour vid may be NSFW.

Cool vid. Not enough NSFW.

-tch

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Cool vid. Not enough NSFW.

That shot of Amy (or was it Darien?) was all I l'd put in to keep it R rated. There is another collection, not nearly as comprehensive as Gene Simmons collection, but a collection none the less. I don't recall getting any model releases.... Danny has his pics, but old roadies have pics and film of their own. It's only embarrassing watching them with my wife now (didn't know her at the time) because she critiques me. ;) Being a 50 year old roadie, excuse me, they call me an "audio engineer" though I can't remember getting an engineering degree, is filled with lots of memories. At least that;s what they tell me. ;). Touring is a young mans game. I stayed too long. Tomorrow is a big day. Now that I was told today my PET-CT was negative, no cancer, I get to find out exactly how hosed I am with this lymph disease. The best part of the day is I meet Mike at the Snap On truck and pick up some goodies. Might even buy me a big ol' 40" roll cab to celebrate. I'll make it through this, if nothing else to scuff up that paint job and drink some good home brew.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

The enthusiasts manual should be required reading for all owners who use wrenches. I use it in the shop. I have a chilton's, as well. And, of course the pdf of the FSM.

The inthusiasts manual was the best 40.00 I ever spent.

I will do a write up in word with pictures , I will bounce it off of you guys to see it I hit the high points. I can point out how the 99 differs slightly than what is depicted in the manual. I will also show the tools And how to make them.

I have found that a weak point in this trans. Is the rev gear and synco.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
The part about how the enthusiast manual differs from the NA to NB would be great. I'd be up for doing some fab gratis for anyone needing the tools or even having a set of the tools to loan around on the honor system. I'll at least build a set for me. I've never been a big enthusiast manual guy, like the FSMs. Except for the price of course. ;) I'll get the Grainger book here this weekend. I'm so out of room in the shop though I've got to get the undercoat off and at least get it so I can get the drivetrain back in and suspension on. I be out of room.

Posted Image
I gotta get a full sized shop by Dave Stevens, on Flickr

I'm cleared to start training. I do a training regime my old primary doc (he retired), my cardiologist and Jim Leo at Pit Fit came up with when I was racing karts. I'll blog some details later.

I was told today my mass is a rare one, pericardial cyst. No cancer, no lymhedema at this point. Basically just a big lump on the outside of the heart sac. We'll do more images and tests but it's pretty much setting in my chest not harming me at this point. Right now it's a big lump that sits around and does nothing. Pretty much like me...... :king: :spin:

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I use the same home-made tools as Frank. My long puller is not as nice has his but I plan to build one just like his soon. The single tool that eluded me for two years has recently been located.

http://www.aikencolo...ers_c_1151.html

This is a plier that allows you to remove the circlips that do not have holes for the usual retaining ring pliers. It is very high quality and works beautifully. You can remove the clips without them but it will challenge your patience. Unfortunately the tool costs about $75 shipped and takes about a month to receive (comes from Germany).

I made the tube wrench by cutting a 1 5/8" Craftsman 3/4" drive socket in half and welding in a 17" long segment of 1 1/2 inch pipe.

Otherwise just use your puller as described in the enthusiast manual.

Using a toaster over to warm up components during assembly will decrease the amount of hammering you have to do, and just seems like a better way to assemble.

IMO, the single component(s) that make the most difference in a tranny refresh are the Fingers at the ends of the shift rods. They wear very quickly and lead to missed shifts. These can be replaced without much disassembly at all and minimal tools.

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I use the same home-made tools as Frank. My long puller is not as nice has his but I plan to build one just like his soon. The single tool that eluded me for two years has recently been located.

http://www.aikencolo...ers_c_1151.html

Same tool @ Sears??? :scratchchin:

http://www.sears.com...72129000P?mv=rr
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Same tool @ Sears??? :scratchchin:

http://www.sears.com...72129000P?mv=rr

Great. I'm going to be pissed off the rest of the day.

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Great. I'm going to be pissed off the rest of the day.

Ah, Ha, but we have made others un-pi$$ed off. :peace1:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58

I'm cleared to start training. I do a training regime my old primary doc (he retired), my cardiologist and Jim Leo at Pit Fit came up with when I was racing karts. I'll blog some details later.

I was told today my mass is a rare one, pericardial cyst. No cancer, no lymhedema at this point. Basically just a big lump on the outside of the heart sac. We'll do more images and tests but it's pretty much setting in my chest not harming me at this point. Right now it's a big lump that sits around and does nothing. Pretty much like me...... :king: :spin:

Great news Dave!! Gotta be a tremendous relief. :cheering:

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users