Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

...face down on the mother-in-law's heirloom cedar chest.

...using a junk shifter or authentic Ethan Allen musket ramrod,

...all over the penthouse master bedroom carpet.

...a Mayan hand axe PERPENDICULAR

...much of my liver

• Jeff Wasilko likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I followed the "Enthusiast's Guide" procedure, in doing so I did leave the bearing on 4th gear. I think I put it on last the same way I took it apart. I put the tail section on the floor and tapped on the bell housing over the bearing for both the main and idler shaft. I did not have any issues doing so, and the 4th gear synco stayed in place. I must have gotten lucky

when I put it together the main shaft was not rotating free, a few taps of the hammer drove it home and it was all good.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49
Thanks for the info Saul, makes good sense.

And maybe not so much Absinthe before sitting down in front of the computer next time. :guinness:

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Saul you rock! Great info. :thumbsup:

No problem, anyone that rebuilds their own transmissions is good people, in my book.

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

I followed the "Enthusiast's Guide" procedure, in doing so I did leave the bearing on 4th gear. I think I put it on last the same way I took it apart. I put the tail section on the floor and tapped on the bell housing over the bearing for both the main and idler shaft. I did not have any issues doing so, and the 4th gear synco stayed in place. I must have gotten lucky

when I put it together the main shaft was not rotating free, a few taps of the hammer drove it home and it was all good.

IIRC, the FSM has you pull the bearing off AS you are pulling the bellhousing off. This did not work for me.

The Enthusiast's Guide has you pull the bellhousing off and then pull the 4th gear bearing off later .... and then put it back on near the end after the bellhousing is on.

Does that sound right?

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

IIRC, the FSM has you pull the bearing off AS you are pulling the bellhousing off. This did not work for me.

The Enthusiast's Guide has you pull the bellhousing off and then pull the 4th gear bearing off later .... and then put it back on near the end after the bellhousing is on.

Does that sound right?

I did not follow that part of it. In my first tear down I only took it so far, I had found my major issue with the reverse gear and replaced some other parts but did not dissemble all.

On my current rebuild, I took it down to the bear shaft and my plan is is to put the bearing on the main shaft and drive the housing over it. That worked for me.

Question. I have not disassembled any parts in the tail shaft assembly or the shifter area of the case. See any problem with that is there something I NEED to take a look at? I think I found plenty of problems in the main transmission, mostly the rev syncro. I

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

No problem, anyone that rebuilds their own transmissions is good people, in my book.

There is a 96 getting ready to go to the crusher at the local Pic A Part. Miata's are rare finds in salvage yards here. They usually go at auction. I've been contemplating getting the trans and rear end (about the only thing left that isn't trashed) and using them as learning tools. That's how I did it on the stock car but the parts were half of what they want for the Miata stuff. They want 150 each , includes core (core at a salvage yard? that's new here) or 65 for just the rear end carrier assembly. Thought that sounded high until I searched online networks of salvage yards. The instrument cluster is gone, no telling how many miles but as a learning mule I don't think it matters.

Here's some crappy vid from my HTC EVO. Volume is a bit loud, I didn't do any post, it's right from the phone.

Still haven't figured out how to embed Vimeo here, It's on the blog http://roaddog.com/r...the-next-step/ near the bottom of the post.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
I paid 100.00 for this tranny from a race who said that he lent it out to someone who trashed it. Looks like it started shifting hard and the just kept grinding and pounding.

Some people start out having a hard time shifting these transmissions. after having been in one, I let the transmission do the work, I shift 3/4 with an open palm, I let the shifter find the gate. some folks who have driven my car are intent on forcing the gear, I tell them each shift is two clicks and it does not have to be fast, just tic tock and your in gear.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
One more question. In the final assembly of the transmission when installing the rear most sensor I noticed the wires on the last switch were broken. What does this do exactly?
I tried posting the diagram but it would not let me. This is under 1999 miata Body electronics; Engine switches.

Part #17-630 (no 3)

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

I paid 100.00 for this tranny from a race who said that he lent it out to someone who trashed it. Looks like it started shifting hard and the just kept grinding and pounding.

Some people start out having a hard time shifting these transmissions. after having been in one, I let the transmission do the work, I shift 3/4 with an open palm, I let the shifter find the gate. some folks who have driven my car are intent on forcing the gear, I tell them each shift is two clicks and it does not have to be fast, just tic tock and your in gear.

The person I loaned this transmission to is a former NASA national SM champ and his previous transmission had lasted over 2 years so don't think it was his shifting that did it in. This was a street tranny with 100K miles on it and I had used it for a couple of weekend without any issues. Glad to see you got this back together Frank.
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

The person I loaned this transmission to is a former NASA national SM champ and his previous transmission had lasted over 2 years so don't think it was his shifting that did it in. This was a street tranny with 100K miles on it and I had used it for a couple of weekend without any issues. Glad to see you got this back together Frank.

Hey Gale, did not want to name names, I just got it put back together, the worst problem was the reverse synco was cracked and ruffed up the rev. gear pretty good. I polished that and replaced all the syncros, the shift forks were pretty beat up and had to do some work to the shift hubs. but I think its good to go.

I will be using it as a spare but will have it with me at the track during the Nasa champs which I will be doing this year, hope to see you before then.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users