Photo

Newbie looking to get started in 2013... Where to begin?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
Ryan,

I had the same color and year Z06 from the factory. Then I drove a SM and took my school in 2004.

Driving the Vette didn't do anyting for me anymore. Lapping in DEs, just putting time running around wasn't the thrill like it was. The Vette was sold in short order to a collector and I have never regretted it.

Get rid of it.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:45
If you DO autocross this year, you have a GREAT area to learn in. Milwaukee Region and Chicago Region have numerous national champs, including the current E-Stock champ (in a Miata). Not sure if you plan on autocrossing a miata, but it would be a GREAT way to learn car control and definitely ease the transition into wheel to wheel racing. They always say that autocrossers make good road racers, but not necessarily the other way around!
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

As part of those activities I’m on similar message boards and I’ll admit it was a little rough being a new guy back in the day.

I can be that guy.... :king:

Take a shopping bag. Paper or plastic, your choice. Put $1000 in cash in the bag. Light it on fire. If you're not too terribly disappointed then racing is for you. :guinness:

When I was touring and gave up blow, strippers and heavy drinking when I decided to race, my business partners at the time said I became a lot more intense when I became addicted to racing.....

You're getting great advice, we've got a good bunch here. I can't wait to finish my car so I can go down to TX and get some of Tom's new paint job on my quarter panels. :bash: :nonono: :spin:

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

You're getting great advice, we've got a good bunch here. I can't wait to finish my car so I can go down to TX and get some of Tom's new paint job on my quarter panels. :bash: :nonono: :spin:

And so it begins....I'll be sure and leave you some as I drive by.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ed Muncie

Ed Muncie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:09
Ryan:

I've read "Go Ahead, Take The Wheel", all the Speed Secrets books, Going Faster, etc. etc. I too had a car I really hated to part with - my first sports car - but had to in order to go racing. I almost did autocross, I almost joined a club of semi racers/autocrossers, I almost etc., etc. I too thought I needed more experience before going wheel to wheel, as I only had one D.E. under my belt. And then I just f'ing did it. The one thing I learned the most from my first year is to not over think it. Like one of my fellow drivers likes to say, "It's not rocket science - you're just driving fast on a curvy road." Whatever you choose to do, don't over think it - this is supposed to be fun and it's a lot more fun if you're doing it.
  • Stephanie Andersen likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

And so it begins....I'll be sure and leave you some as I drive by.

:clap: Nicely played, sir.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41

:clap: Nicely played, sir.

I'll be sure the homebrew is cold for when you get off the track.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RJ-19

RJ-19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee

Take a shopping bag. Paper or plastic, your choice. Put $1000 in cash in the bag. Light it on fire. If you're not too terribly disappointed then racing is for you...

Assuming you don't freak about the money disappearing, I've heard what usually follows is that your buddies chime in about how they could have done it better / faster...
"Yeah, well real men don't use a lighter to get it started, I only use wet matches..."
"Well anyone can burn a big full of hundreds, now try doing it with singles..."
"I can hold my credit cards in my bare hand as they melt over the flaming bag..."
:D
Ryan J
  • Tom Hampton and Stephanie Andersen like this
Go easy on the new guy... My favorite corner on the track is the "Learning Curve"

Posted Image

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Assuming you don't freak about the money disappearing, I've heard what usually follows is that your buddies chime in about how they could have done it better / faster...
"Yeah, well real men don't use a lighter to get it started, I only use wet matches..."
"Well anyone can burn a big full of hundreds, now try doing it with singles..."
"I can hold my credit cards in my bare hand as they melt over the flaming bag..."
:D
Ryan J

LOL :rotfl:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users