Photo

Having a miata at every wheel (25 Hour video)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12
I had the luck to drive with Tiger Racing this year at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill in an E46 BMW M3 with 400+HP. Coming from mostly spec miatas, it was a lot of fun to drive something with the power output of almost a miata at every tire. Here's some video from my twilight stint (Shot with Contour HD - turn on HD!):

Still love SM but the power could be addictive... :)
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Never driven at night in a race car... Call me a *%^&* but I couldnt see too well at all, thought there would be more light :prayer: Looks fun though
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Brian that looks like a blast, I just wonder if that night driving is limed to the younger guys. I am glad to see they put up reflective makers in the corners but I would think it would be a challenge. I agree looks like a blast but you better know the track.

How much do the lap times slow during the dark hrs?
  • dp35 likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
Lap times slow in the dark? Not a chance!
  • Charlie Hayes likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

cam

cam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:SOW
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
The various generations of Miata/MX5s do very well in these long endurance events. The reflective markers are new as of last year, IMHO, they get in the way more than help. As for as slowing down at night, it is a very long race, at no point in time should you really be driving 10/10th if you want the equipment to survive, therefore night time laps are not really slower. I set my team’s quickest lap around 10 PM whilst maintaining clean and consistent laps and my teams slightly conservative approach was rewarded with another podium finish. It is a very fun and rewarding event.

Added:

Class E3 in a 1.6 SM HooverSpeed. Marc had 3 cars this year, all Miatas. One was a 1.8 with mods in E2 and the other two were both 1.6 in E3. The other E3 car was close to the podium but driver error sometime in the early morning hours made that car uncompetitive. All in all, Marc and his crew did a great job supporting a three car effort.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

The various generations of Miata/MX5s do very well in these long endurance events. The reflective markers are new as of last year, IMHO, they get in the way more than help. As for as slowing down at night, it is a very long race, at no point in time should you really be driving 10/10th if you want the equipment to survive, therefore night time laps are not really slower. I set my team’s quickest lap around 10 PM whilst maintaining clean and consistent laps and my teams slightly conservative approach was rewarded with another podium finish. It is a very fun and rewarding event.

Which car and class were you in?

Brian, thanks for the vid! Love it! I hope the many others that participated and are here on the forum can share a little at some point :D
Elliot...lets see some B-spec???

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Car Number:88
A little day/night racing at Buttonwillow Raceway, CA

Jump to 30 to 40mins in for the night portion.
http://www.youtube.c...&v=fOhf0Ge68MI#!

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
What, no credit? Ignore the first 5-10 laps, I was fishing around for my coolshirt hose trying to hook it up one handed without looking.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Greg Cicatelli

Greg Cicatelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:96
Great drive, Brian! Really good job cutting the highlights together too. Those E46's are great race cars - something to consider for the next rig. Thanks for sharing.

Greg

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Nice vid, Brian! Thanks for sharing. I agree that the reflectors changed things at night. I actually liked them eventually, but they had a "narrowing" effect and it took me a while to get used to them. It felt like driving down a hallway for the first couple laps.

We have 50 hours of video to sort through from two cars, but Emilio and William are going to put together some sort of highlight reel eventually. I'll share that here.

I'd LOVE to see some B-spec video. In particular, the driver that went off at T9 and kept his foot in it all the way through the dirt, re-entering the track close to T10. Darin and I went by on track, and I almost crashed braking into T10 from laughing so hard, seeing that little bugger jumping through the dirt at 80+ mph.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Car Number:12
@Jim - the video is perhaps a little darker than reality; you lose some of the distance highlights although these lights were not as good as the the other car I've driven at night (The Team Bimmerworld car has epic lights).

Cam has it right - although I've set fast lap both times at night when I've driven, these aren't qualifying laps by any means. There's no point in shoving it down the inside or making a risky pass... the 25 is all about staying on the black stuff and on the hot side of the pit wall.

That's even more the case when it's not your car and, like having a miata of power at every wheel, you have about a miata of $$$ at every wheel too. :)

@Greg - don't rush to a BMW, Mazda took 4 of 5 fendered podiums... :)
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Brian

Great video - and great editing
Your video so makes me want to do this race
thanks

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:94

I'd LOVE to see some B-spec video. In particular, the driver that went off at T9 and kept his foot in it all the way through the dirt, re-entering the track close to T10. Darin and I went by on track, and I almost crashed braking into T10 from laughing so hard, seeing that little bugger jumping through the dirt at 80+ mph.

Cheers,

Dean

Hey Dean, I seem to remember a certain red Miata over there at one point too! :) Did the driver ever confess??

I congratulated your team after the race but never did see you (maybe I did and a lack of sleep prevents me from remembering!) Anyway, cangrats again to all of you guys. You were on it!!

Thanks for the video Brian!

On a different note; who was the weapon in the #41 black Firebird?? That guy should be a golfer, not a racecar driver!!! Thank god they were only driving the 6 hour.
Ken Sutherland
1976 4th Grade Bowling Series-Most Improved
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Thanks, Ken. It was a dream weekend for us. Yes, we know the T9 farmer on our team...

And if I was a betting man, I'd say the "pilot" of the black Firebird took some turns in the TruSpeed GT3 after he finished with the 6 hour.

Former driver

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
^^^ Dean, re TruSpeed - you took the words right off my keyboard. It's funny now, but sure wasn't at the time.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users