Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Competition license or Novice Permit required
All SCCA members with a competition license are invited to participate in a free test day presented by Thunderhill Raceway.
Race cars only, no street cars.
Front gate will open at 7 a.m.; track is green at 9 am and closes at 4 pm.
Celebrate the last day of the year, the best way any racer knows how -- driving your race car for free!
Any questions, call Colleen at Thunderhill: 530-934-5588 x 100.

http://www.sfrscca.o...temid,1/cid,22/

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Lets hope for rain!!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sean Allen

Sean Allen

My title is unique

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Region:SFR
See you there!!

Let's hope for dry ;-)
  • Alberto likes this

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:33 - San Francisco
  • Car Number:40 ;-)
Sorry Sean...im with Ron on this one...
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

See you there!!

Let's hope for dry ;-)

Cool...bringing your car? Guess i should say which car?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
Undecided still. Rain would be fun. I have tires you can use Sean.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91
I think I'll be at this one.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Sean Allen

Sean Allen

My title is unique

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Region:SFR
Dads car, tires would make the rain more enjoyable haha.

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
Had a blast yesterday. It was great to see everyone again. Since there were numerous Spec Miata's there, a mini "race" broke out, which was awesome!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Good times. Great battle. Great weather.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Had a blast yesterday. It was great to see everyone again. Since there were numerous Spec Miata's there, a mini "race" broke out, which was awesome!

By far a little winter fix! Though Dan was toying with everyone on Hoosiers, his car was strong! DP was not going to let any of the young guys just up and drive off which he didn't. Kimi was content to point and follow, while Phil was going to show DP who the current champ is! Cooper is the king of door to door driving! Watching you guys weave traffic never missing a beat was fun!! I predict this year will be anyones game...can't wait :D

Good to see Sean Allen get in a little seat time in on his last day of R&R...be safe Sean, see you on your return!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
Sounds like it was a fun time up there. Really can't wait for this season to begin!!!!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:94
Sounds like you guys had some fun!

How did the Hoosier's compare to the Toyo's? Any comparable lap times?

Thanks,
Ken Sutherland
1976 4th Grade Bowling Series-Most Improved
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Low of the day was a 2:08.0 for me on Hoosiers...consistently 8.3-.5...I'm not sure but i think DP got into high 08's on Toyos...
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
Yep I did a 2:08.8 in the draft of the Hoosier shod cars. Typical good laps alone were low 2:09's. Seems awful slow, especially for a cool & sunny day.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Sounds like you guys had some fun!

How did the Hoosier's compare to the Toyo's? Any comparable lap times?

Thanks,

For some of the guys who run 2 groups, whether its Hoosiers or Kooks, pretty consistant 1-1.5 sec better lap times at TH. You guys planning to run the March National?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:94

For some of the guys who run 2 groups, whether its Hoosiers or Kooks, pretty consistant 1-1.5 sec better lap times at TH. You guys planning to run the March National?

Hi Ron, we'll be there!

It sounds like the track was pretty slow for you guys for some reason(?)

I was tying to get read on where we were at on our BFGs at the 25. It seemed like the track was slow then too. Not sure if they (BFG) are closer to the Toyo or the Hoosiers on speed.

What is the typical difference when running the bypass? I'm bringing the BFGs back for the March test day so see for sure.
Ken Sutherland
1976 4th Grade Bowling Series-Most Improved
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Well, assuming the same tire, the bypass is 2 to 2.5 sec faster per lap average than over the hill. Based on what I've heard others say, I would guess the BFG's are in between the Toyo and Hoosier on average lap times. I'm convinced that TH has to have a little heat in the asphalt for faster lap times. The cool temps are good for HP but seem to affect grip...just my observation...or maybe everyone is just pushing extra weight after the holidays :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
I think that track is very temperamental with lap times. Average is about 2 seconds but it can be less. I think I have seen lap times from 2010 in the 2:06s over the top. I think the fastest SM time I saw this year over the bypass with NASA was a high 2:05. If you run what everyone else run's then your good. :king:

I would be very interested to know what kind of times a proper setup SM for hoosiers would run at all the local tracks. From what the east coaster guys said about running at Road Atlanta was that it actually slowed down on the straights due to the "crazy" grip. Wasn't a substantial difference in times either.

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

I think that track is very temperamental with lap times. Average is about 2 seconds but it can be less. I think I have seen lap times from 2010 in the 2:06s over the top. I think the fastest SM time I saw this year over the bypass with NASA was a high 2:05. If you run what everyone else run's then your good. :king:

I would be very interested to know what kind of times a proper setup SM for hoosiers would run at all the local tracks. From what the east coaster guys said about running at Road Atlanta was that it actually slowed down on the straights due to the "crazy" grip. Wasn't a substantial difference in times either.

I read that thread too Charlie. My two cents is that that may only be the case at RD ATL. for the 4hr this year, qual time was 2 seconds faster than the next "U" car which was running 3 or 4/32 Toyos.

Another note is that fast race lap of the enduro was something like lap 8 or 9. A time within .2 was set on the second to last lap of the enduro. And these were the same tires I ran on Saturday which was half a second faster than the enduro qual time. That adds up to only 4 or 5 heat cycles but about 6 hours of abuse. Not too bad, I don't think.

Ken, willing to share any wear details on the BFG just for comparison.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users