14 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Life lesson

Moose and Squirrel share a Spec Miata. This past summer Squirrel was having a good outing. A good outing for Squirrel is out-qualifying 4-5 other SMs, advancing a spot or two during the race and pulling into the paddock with a squirrely smile and no new dents.

Squirrel got a good start and was having a good race with another SM, Squirrel leading nose to tail for several laps. Squirrel got careless and left a little daylight between car and apex and the following driver, perhaps over optimistically, tries to take advantage of it. Unfortunately there wasn’t enough daylight and Squirrel gets punted off track. Squirrel’s day is done, other driver continues.

Have you ever seen a really pissed off Squirrel? Brother, it’s not pretty. Squirrel still has smoke billowing from ears when other driver comes to apologize. Squirrel goes off on other driver. Moose is not pleased by Squirrel’s venom. After Squirrel calms down, and with a generous application of shame by Moose, Squirrel goes to other driver and apologizes for behavior, while Moose commences repairs to car.

Fast forward a couple months. Moose is at the wheel and feeling his oats. Moose qualified well and at the race start Moose goes for it. Moose is on the inside, two wide in T1, when Moose’s cold tires wash out and Moose nudges outside car. The outside car spins back into Moose’s car. Please note: Moose’s race is over, other car continues.

Post race; Moose goes to other driver’s paddock to apologize and is promptly fed a shit sandwich in return. The upside is Squirrel went with Moose and witnessed what it’s like on the receiving end of an ass-reaming. Squirrel decides that this is a valuable life lesson and vows not to lose temper in the future. Pretty wise for a squirrel, huh? It made the whole experience almost worth it.

Moral of this fable is that an offending driver’s apology certainly doesn’t fix a bent car, or restore a shortened race or pay for new parts. But if a driver has the decency to come to your paddock and apologize then they deserve to be addressed like a human being.

Sometime I’ll tell the one about the driver who didn’t come over to say they’re sorry.
  • Glenn and Cnj like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Good story. I have had to appologize, and my appologies have always been met with grace and temperance! It reinforced my respect for both of those drivers, one of which I am now a cutomer :rolleyes: !

We are ALL out there to beat the next guy... we will all make mistakes, it is how you conduct yourself after said mistake that really counts for something! The trophy or lack there of is really worthless in comparison!

Not that I don't like the Medal, or Flag or Trophy because I am there to aquire that very thing, but I repect every single competitor out there regardless of whether we like each other or not!

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60
Good fable. It's one that we all get a chance to experience both sides of if we race long enough. I've been on both sides and each was it's own life learning experience.
Rick
P.S. The situation I still find the most distasteful is the guy who punts you (or just roughs you up in a corner) and never comes by to apologize.

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:44
Another version of a paddock meeting:

My first race weekend was a NASA-SE weekend at CMP. I had finished SCCA Driver's School and NASA Competition School and ran an Enduro with small field so not much wheel-to-wheel racing. The next day was Lightning Race, mixed classes with lots of fast E30s, Miatas, Hondas, Thunder Roadsters, all on the track together. I was near the back at the start and witnessed mayhem up front as the flag dropped. Watching 3 cars off in T1, another Miata spin in T3 and a little nudging from the car behind me made me nervous. A couple of full course yellows allowed me to calm down and focus on driving. After the final restart, I stayed in traffic, passed a couple of cars and raced close to other cars for the last three green laps. Finished 2/3 to 3/4 of the way back in the field but I had finished my first race.

I drove back to the paddock and, after I got out of my car, I saw a large man, still in driver's suit and helmet, walking quickly into our paddock shouting "Who was driving #65?" (Did I mention he was a lot bigger than me?). Expecting the worse, I slowly raised my hand. I knew I wasn't a great driver but I couldn't recall

The other guy marched right up to me, ripped off his helmet, stuck out his hand and said, "That was fun racing you!" as he gave me a big smile. He was a relative newbie, too, with a few races under his belt. We spent the next 20 minutes recounting our race, offering each other suggestions and drinking beers.

Lesson learned: Complimenting someone, even a back-of-the-pack racer, costs little but means a lot to the recipient.
  • Glenn likes this

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
Hmm, interesting post...

I've had good seasons and bad season, but this year I was punted 5 times in 8 races and each one of those I started with a chance to win. Just remember that 1) I might turn into an idiot for a short while after just working my butt off to re-pass 20 cars, but I always return to my senses before long and 2) an appology is only good if it NEVER happens again.

And that's all I have to say bout that :D

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

an appology is only good if it NEVER happens again

And how does one insure that? I mean NEVER is a pretty tall order for amateurs.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
Moose & Squirrel, they help us learn

Posted Image
  • Glenn, Caveman-kwebb99 and AJ Roderick like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

I would say for pros too
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Impound meeting:

Started 4th from last first time out in a new build, the green flies, the middle opens, I fill the middle space & an ITA car up two rows gets punted/turned 90* to track direction. I have a car on each side a turned car directly ahead, I use the brake to slow (no screeching tires) until car either side clears to follow (didn’t smack a sole), got punted from the last car in the field (the guy didn't qualify & drives very fast). This all happened before we crossed the start/finish line. Finished race, directed to impound, u-turned in front of the punter & backed up to his car. Got out, punter is standing at front of his car, I pointed to my damaged car & asked, is this your handy work? The punters response was, YOU BRAKE CHECKED ME. Nuff said.

This incident leaves the door open for questions. Several times comments have been made on this site about the car damage within Spec Miata races, on track driver conduct, protests & the whole ball of wax. In this case there was a protest of On Course Driver Conduct & a Court of Appeal letter relative to On Course Driver Conduct (there is a rule) & no damage notes in logbook (there is a rule). We all learn from experience. My lession learned was, why waste my time with a protest or Appeal. The words in the GCR specified as mandatory are the words SHALL & MUST. It is mandatory per the GCR that a car with damage after the race must have said damage noted in the logbook. When the Court of Appeal rule, even when their wrong per written GCR rules, their right. :spin: :spin: :spin:

EDIT:

After seeing John's post I must state this deal was a SCCA deal.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
While it is always a good practice to "talk" about incidents with the other party. I suggest you look at your video and theirs before making much of a judgement, more often than not, they don't look the same. I can only remember one instance :scratchchin: where I felt someone did something intentional to me.. Lots of "stupid" moves. We have all made them, so if someone makes one of those and apologizes, I try to accept it and move on. Remember, regardless of how good we "think" we are, we are all amateurs.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I can only remember one instance :scratchchin: where I felt someone did something intentional to me.. Lots of "stupid" moves.

Is this recent memory Jim?

Good point, often drivers feel they were in the right until they get a look at your competitors video and see if from a different prospective.

I don't say this in a bad way but I think its important to have video in the car, your point is the issue, when your in the car you cannot observe all that happened and often your attention is diverted to other things.

Unfortunately, I have had to use the video to prove my innocents, as odd is that is, was DQed this year for going in the grass on a start when I never did go in the grass and had to prove by my video that It was not me.

My lesson learned, Run Video.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:68

Just meant to say that appologies should always be sincere and that implies not repeating bad behaviors. I've done some pretty stupid things in a racecar, but try like hell not to repeat. I would say that most people I race with do the same with the exception of one or two guys that just don't get it. Luckily they aren't regulars where I race.

-bw
  • Jim Drago likes this

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
+1 Bruce, every incident is an opportunity to learn and improve, even if it's "the other guy's fault".
  • Glenn and Jim Drago like this

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32
We're not out there playing tiddly winks. Racing is dangerous. Couple this with testosterone filled, highly competitive, type A personalities and it's a combustible atmosphere at the track. Contact on track or other indiscretions is common and tensions rise quickly.

One of the most enjoyable elements for me of racing is the mental challenge of keeping focussed in all situations - and a significant part of this is keeping a handle on my negative emotions. Tough to do in a moment of racing danger as my amygdala pretty much takes over and its easy to lose the plot for a short time. However only I am responsible for how I react, both in the moment, shortly after the moment and back in the pits well after the event. I embarrass myself and my friends around me when/if I explode in anger or act ungraciously towards others.

Racing well is so much more than just driving fast....

Cnj
  • Glenn and Danny Steyn like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave Lewis

Dave Lewis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Number:86
Well worth the read. Thanks guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users