svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?
I've got Alpine star gloves...I think they are the 1ZR?

Great external stitching, and great wheel feel. They stick to my momo well well, and are going on two seasons.

Mine are red for signalling with my hands.

What I did find was I used to have leather palm gloves.....eventually the sweat from my hands dried out the leather and I started to get holes. I actually bought the Alpine Stars while at the track because I didn't want to be out there with gloves with holes.

I was surprised at how much I like the "pre curved" fingers.

Also, they have a little tag inside the cuff that says "win." Not that I've ever done that, but it gives me a good laugh everytime I pull them on.
  • john mueller likes this

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
The pre-curved fingers are great, I wouldn't get gloves without them. Love the tag idea! ;)

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:40
Another vote for Alpine Stars Tech 1-ZX.
(And another thumbs down for for Oakley's, lasted one week-end. Their socks don't last either; but their balaclavas are very good)

Toby Linder

powered by X-Factor Racing

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41
I bought a cheap pair of Simpson Posigrips two years ago, to use until I knew better what I wanted in a glove. It IS a slick lether palm, on my suede momo...but, I haven't had any "grip" issues. Gloves are still going strong...other than the palms have gotten a little dirty looking. Still don't know what else I would need in a top-o-the-line glove. Comfortable, protects my hands from fire, grips the wheel and shifter....is there some other rocket science here?

I do wish I'd bought RED though, for visibility (instead of the black...next time). I hadn't heard the suede-on-suede, slick-on-slick mantra until I'd bought these. Now I'm afraid to switch...since I'm used to the grip I have.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
There's a lot to be said for sticking with what you're used to, at least if you like them. If you do like Simpsons, I'd suggest trying the Talon model next time -- they're the ones with pre-curved fingers, and at least for me they're worth the extra.

Stetson

Stetson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:South East
I have a set of pyrotech and they are very comfortable, good grip, but I was disappointed in longivity. Basically, my left glove split at the base of the palm after about 6 hours (total time) of track time. I would have hoped for something better. Good glove, just wish it lasted longer.

I am going to try a more expensive one, maybe a G force. Also, definately recommend the red. A lot easier to see if you are signaling to other drivers, crew, etc.

Gatoratty

Gatoratty

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:3
Puma! Had the Simpson then Alpinestars and found the Puma at PRI show and then bought from Wine Country. Great for a suede wheel. Bought a pair in white so the guy who hits me can see me tell him he is number one!

(null)
Paul McLester
SM #3
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Elliott Skeer

Elliott Skeer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Nor/So Cal
  • Car Number:17
I used the gloves Vicktor is talking about for karting. Great gloves, last forever, but do have problems with getting stiff over time. I find the Sparco Arrow's to be a much better glove. Super light and feels like you dont have gloves on!
"Punk Ass Kid" -Track HQ's top SM contributor.
Working to call myself a GT driver.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Puma!

+1 I use the Pro Fit Cat Short gloves. They are curved, stitching on the outside, comfortable yet grippy, and at least for me have lasted 2+ seasons (~15 race days per year + 3 hour enduro). Can't say I have experience with other high-end brands since these just worked for me.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

Puma! Had the Simpson then Alpinestars and found the Puma at PRI show and then bought from Wine Country. Great for a suede wheel. Bought a pair in white so the guy who hits me can see me tell him he is number one!

+2 Puma has been the best glove I have owned in 9 years of racing
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91
I've had good luck with the Alpine*s, but HORRIBLE luck with the Oakley's... fell apart almost instantly!

I miss my old Simpson Indy's.... would still use them if one didn't have to be cut from my hand.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
They're one of those things that if you can, try some on that you haven't bought yet. Sizing seems to be like shoes and helmets. It's a bit personal. You can measure around your hand but that doesn't account for if you have short or long fingers.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Number:20
I really like these pilot gloves. http://www.gibson-ba...26/prod_id/102/

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts

Super light and feels like you dont have gloves on!

Tastes vary. I went from Simpsons to G-Force, and my biggest complaint is that the G-Force doesn't feel like I have gloves on. I like the feeling of having a real glove on. That was actually the opposite of what I was expecting.

Ed Muncie

Ed Muncie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:09
Although I'm realtively new to the sport, I really like the Alpinestars Tech-1 Race. They're FIA Homologated 8856-2000, SFI Approved to 3.3/5 - and they're amazingly thin, light, and hold up really well. Bright red and white for signaling to other drivers, and nice white on the palms and fingers for waving thanks to the corner workers. Love 'em and always get "nice gloves" comments from the tech worker staff. Plus they're under $100, which on a budget is always a good thing.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users