Photo

Brake Pad Kickback

- - - - - Front/Rear/Both

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Don't recall ever reading a thread/posts on brake pad kickback. With our Miatas we have all had brake pad kickback. At sometime pad kickback has eaten our lunch. I went back to the Roger Caddell AIM data online class video & watched the video to catch his comments on the normal brake pressure data & the not so normal brake pressure spikes from his Spec Miata. Per Roger this brake pressure data spike was not a brake pedal induced spike.

I have thoughts for kickback causes & am always interested in learning others thoughts for kickback causes. Ideally one could eliminate the root causes for pad kickback. < With this thought we must remember we have an OEM single side piston. I also have sketched a schematic with parts list to build a pad kickback dash warning light system.
  • Jeff Wasilko likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
PUMP THE BRAKES!
  • Glenn likes this

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

PUMP THE BRAKES!

Watch ANY SM race and you will see all of the front runners reseating the brakes BEFORE the brake zone. Ask MEAT what happens when you forget :prayer: cost him a top 10 at the runoffs :fuming:

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
If you do not have pad kick back, your calipers need to be gone through or replaced, regardless of whether you have the E brake adjusters removed or not. If your calipers are free, like they should be, you will need to set the brakes. I don't think a warning light is worth the time or effort. Repetition for a few sessions and muscle memory will take over. It is hard for most who are used to setting their brakes not to set them at this point. Ever drive behind the Pombos? It looks like Christmas lights going off before each corner.
  • john mueller and Glenn like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Pad Knock back is track specific IMO. I have never experienced this at Mid Ohio in a bazillion laps, but I have experienced it at Road Atlanta. And since I had never had it before I was not one to set the brakes. It almost cost me dearly in T1 at ATL, went to pass lapped traffic and whoooooh where is my brakes. luckily I was quick enough on pumping the pedal to get the car settled down for the turn in but I nearly gave myself a heart attack which for a guy in mid 40's is scarey enough.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

If you do not have pad kick back, your calipers need to be gone through or replaced, regardless of whether you have the E brake adjusters removed or not. If your calipers are free, like they should be, you will need to set the brakes. I don't think a warning light is worth the time or effort. Repetition for a few sessions and muscle memory will take over. It is hard for most who are used to setting their brakes not to set them at this point.

I never experienced being behind someone who set their brakes until the 2011 NASA Nationals, where strangely I found myself in the top half of the field (thanks rain)... The first time the guy ahead of me set-'em (going into China Beach) I jammed mine on thinking there it was the beginning of a wreck. After he did it for the next few laps I caught on but I did not have the need to do it.

Flash-fwd to three weeks ago I had my first experience of BP Kickback while testing at the Streets Of Willow. Only took a few laps to realize what was happening & why, a few quick taps of the BP with the left foot while still at WOT did the trick. So I agree with Jim about muscle memory... I'd never set the brakes before and in two laps it was automatic and I did 120 test laps that day.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Speedycrw

Speedycrw

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:Western Michigan
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:55
If your brake components are free as Jim describes, and you want to experience kicback, just run the line at Road America... you will soon be setting brakes like a pro, or running into the kitty litter!
  • Killian likes this

Chris Williams
2000 Spec Miata Orange #55
NASA Great Lakes Spec Miata Series Director

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Watch ANY SM race and you will see all of the front runners reseating the brakes BEFORE the brake zone. Ask MEAT what happens when you forget :prayer: cost him a top 10 at the runoffs :fuming:

Point made, thank you. :yep:

I know a guy that lost the F production 2011 June Sprints on the last lap because in the heat of the race with SuperMan & Kevin he didn't re-set the brakes before T8 after taking the point at T5. He finished 3rd. He has pretty good muscel mass/memory.

We have other warning lights to cover brain fade when we don't peek at our gauges. :twocents:
  • Glenn likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

jaje

jaje

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:NASA Central
  • Car Year:1994
I've been reading up on this issue for the past week - so we need to pump the brakes lightly to set the pads before any hard braking corner (on the straight or before the normal brakezone? This is regardless if we have the e-brake adjuster removed? Kind of reminds me of when I would have to use a 20/80/20 braking trick to settle a car with bad brake dive (nose would dive if I would hit the brakes immediately causing very quick lockup - unless I settled the nose before braking hard).

Please note I've never had to do this with my 944 so this is new to me.

#74 Spec Miata
NASA CR Race Director
My Blog

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Please note I've never had to do this with my 944 so this is new to me.

I don't know ZIP about a 944 Spec car. Did the 944 Spec calipers have pistons on both sides of a caliper or did the calipers have a piston on one side of a caliper like a Miata?

jaje

jaje

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:NASA Central
  • Car Year:1994
Fronts and rears were single piston calipers - rears were not vented rotors. Parking brake was an internal drum type and not a locking mechanism of the piston. Not sure if that helps. I'm now concerned as I learn to drive this car that I need to be different on the brakes and check them before each session on track.

#74 Spec Miata
NASA CR Race Director
My Blog

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
When driving you 944 Spec did you reguluarly run across the track corner apex rumble strips & then at the next corner when using the brakes have a long pedal (pedal went closer to the floor before the brakes started doing the job)?

naparsei

naparsei

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Car Number:#38
The problem with the long pedal for me was that it made H/T downshifting hard (read: nearly impossible). A quick (and gentle) LFB helps.

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Number:60

Pad Knock back is track specific IMO. I have never experienced this at Mid Ohio in a bazillion laps, but I have experienced it at Road Atlanta. And since I had never had it before I was not one to set the brakes. It almost cost me dearly in T1 at ATL, went to pass lapped traffic and whoooooh where is my brakes. luckily I was quick enough on pumping the pedal to get the car settled down for the turn in but I nearly gave myself a heart attack which for a guy in mid 40's is scarey enough.

I agree with Kyle regarding Mid Ohio not having the knock back issue. The first time a non-local set his brakes (at the 400' foot marker at T7) in front of me I figured he was just clumbsly trying to brake check me. When he continued to do it at the next three turns, I finally figured it out.
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year