Photo

Sebring Double National Updates!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I was just joking... Gosh... trying to have a little bit of fun on the forum since I am not on a racing vacation down in Fl.

Same, same..........:yep:
  • Bill likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53
Road America-- 4 miles 2011 Runoffs fastest lap 87.855 MP
Sebring-- 3.7 miles 1.6 fastest lap today 86.575 MPH

Does someone really think Sebring is a low speed, handling track???

On to Homestead. The big dogs will be there so we'll see what happens on a NASCAR track.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I really don't want to get into rules.. The rules were fine before in both organizations, The new weights shuffled things around for the better, but I don't think the results would have been much different under last years rules either? :bash:

As for me, The OPM gang took our cars down and did track side for us. They did a great job and we had fun under the tent the entire weekend. I kept them busy sorting my new car, they had everything under control. Of course when all the cars are running well and up front, it is always more fun. uys under the OPM tent qualified 1-5 both days. I was solidly outperformed by both my team mates all weekend, felt like Mark Webber :). Berry and Sandlin both did a great job all weekend. Pat with pole both days and Berry with two impressive second place runs with no mistakes. Mr Buras is an adopted East Street driver ( mostly because no one else would take him) :), many know we helped him with power plant, the car is very good, but also driven very well by a guy who probably has more laps around Sebring in and SM than anyone else. I was really proud to have the top four cars in qualifying boh days and all of us were top five both days. Lots of time, money and hard work really paid off. At this race last year, I dont think we had cars capable of winning the event, top five maybe.

As far as the races..
Race one...
Sandlin got on the rev limiter at the start while I was pushing, cost us both several spots. Pat more than I. Buras and Berry took the lead and stayed out of touch as we all raced for 3rd to 5th. I had door to door races through corners with Leverone, Steyn and several corners with Charboneau. The yellow came out and I never got another shot at Andrew, All of us Buras, Berry Sandlin and Drago ran within a few tenths.

Race two..
Exactly the same qualifying order at the front.. Buras and Berry got a great start and Sandlins handling was going away, So toddd and craig were able to gap us. I had several pass and pass back with Dany, very close, door to door, no touches... Lots of fun.. One small 1/4 donut mark on my door all weekend, other than that, no damage that I saw at the fromnt at all. I made a silly mistake on FP, Forgot to dial it back after STL, So I ran race two pretty fat and it hurt a little. That being said, I may have been closer in third, but don't think I could have challenged for second or first. Andrew was really fast, but missed the grid and had to start from the back, but still made it inside the top 10 and had the third fastest lap.
This was a BFG race, so we had a nice podium celebration and champagne spraying.. I have gotten pretty efficient at spraying Champagne, so Berry and I got Buras pretty good :)

I ran STL as well, I finished second on Saturday and won today in The BFG super tour race. That is going to be a really fun class as well. Raced with my CRB buddy Peter Keane, that guy is amazing. FOr those unaware, Peter is in a wheel chair and races with hand controls. He can wheel a car, not for a handicapped guy, I mean as good as most ANY driver I have raced against. Very impressive. He finished tthird today, passed me once for the lead.

As far as Hoosiers, most of us were around 36-40 psi, Buras ran the entire weekend on one set, he won todays race on 9 session tires and seemingly had no issues. We qualified on stickers and raced on 1-2 session tires. I think the tires seem good for atleast 10 sessions? But we will learn more with time.

As far as sebring goes, It is fast, technical, ballsy all wrapped up in one, probably one of my favorite tracks.. We have a great classs, 62 cars were registered and the talent is so deep. Some of these guys that i raced with are really good. Crazy. I think I am getting too old for this class! :) I had four sessions on thursday, four sessions of Friday, 4 sessions on Saturday and two races today.. I am stiff, sore and tired! :)
  • john mueller, Gatoratty and Armando Ramirez like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Good write up Jim. When you say you qualified on Stickers are you saying that you took them out green and qualified, no prior heat cycling a day prior?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Good write up Jim. When you say you qualified on Stickers are you saying that you took them out green and qualified, no prior heat cycling a day prior?

Yes

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26
Wow what a weekend! The view from mid pack wasn't alot different just further down the standings. Great clean racing.

I got caught up in the melee coming out of 17 on Saturday morning. I was the forth car in a pack fighting back and forth. The lead car got into the tire barrier or wall and stuff started flying everywhere. I was able to drive away but upon inspection I lost my radiator, left front shock snapped in half, all associated suspension was toast. Left front fender looked like it was put in a wood chipper.

Everyone walked away as far as I know injury free.

Now Steve Bertock and Jonathan Black with Panic Motorsports get involved. I'm looking at my steaming mess saying my weekend is done. They are saying get us a left front fender and we'll get you back on track. I start canvasing the paddock, OPM, Advanced, Flatout. No one has a spare fender. I get to Auto-Technick and talk to Jeff LaBounty and off the top of his head he has the number of a salvage yard in Sebring. I call them and they don't have one but there is one in Bradenton. That is 90 miles away. I head back to my car and tell Steve what I found. He wants to know why I'm standing there and not in my truck headed to Bradenton.

Our race was at 0800.

I get to the salvage yard and find the Miata and with the help of one of the guys there we pull the left front fender off and the bumper cover $125. I call Steve and am told to hurry back and I might be able to make the afternoon qualifying. I tell Steve I'm still over an hour away and I can see I can't make it back in time if things are on schedule. Steve tells me again to hurry up and I might make qualifying. Well, 80 miles and an hour later I pull into the paddock. The entire left front corner of my car is replaced and waiting for the fender. Tom Fowler at OPM lets us barrow a radiator for the weekend.

I qualified around 1430 that afternoon. After the first lap I pull into the pits, we remove toe plates misc. tools from the passenger side of the car. Jonathan checks the wheel lugs as well, good thing.

By Sundays race the car was 100% mechanically. It just didn't look so great. Silver car with dark green left front fender and bumper cover. Unbelievable effort by Panic Motorsports and the Miata community. Thank you to all. I'm heading to Homestead next weekend.
  • Glenn, tLinder, Steve D and 2 others like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

Wow what a weekend! The view from mid pack wasn't alot different just further down the standings. Great clean racing.

I got caught up in the melee coming out of 17 on Saturday morning. I was the forth car in a pack fighting back and forth. The lead car got into the tire barrier or wall and stuff started flying everywhere. I was able to drive away but upon inspection I lost my radiator, left front shock snapped in half, all associated suspension was toast. Left front fender looked like it was put in a wood chipper.

Everyone walked away as far as I know injury free.

Now Steve Bertock and Jonathan Black with Panic Motorsports get involved. I'm looking at my steaming mess saying my weekend is done. They are saying get us a left front fender and we'll get you back on track. I start canvasing the paddock, OPM, Advanced, Flatout. No one has a spare fender. I get to Auto-Technick and talk to Jeff LaBounty and off the top of his head he has the number of a salvage yard in Sebring. I call them and they don't have one but there is one in Bradenton. That is 90 miles away. I head back to my car and tell Steve what I found. He wants to know why I'm standing there and not in my truck headed to Bradenton.

Our race was at 0800.

I get to the salvage yard and find the Miata and with the help of one of the guys there we pull the left front fender off and the bumper cover $125. I call Steve and am told to hurry back and I might be able to make the afternoon qualifying. I tell Steve I'm still over an hour away and I can see I can't make it back in time if things are on schedule. Steve tells me again to hurry up and I might make qualifying. Well, 80 miles and an hour later I pull into the paddock. The entire left front corner of my car is replaced and waiting for the fender. Tom Fowler at OPM lets us barrow a radiator for the weekend.

I qualified around 1430 that afternoon. After the first lap I pull into the pits, we remove toe plates misc. tools from the passenger side of the car. Jonathan checks the wheel lugs as well, good thing.

By Sundays race the car was 100% mechanically. It just didn't look so great. Silver car with dark green left front fender and bumper cover. Unbelievable effort by Panic Motorsports and the Miata community. Thank you to all. I'm heading to Homestead next weekend.

I have to say that pretty cool that everyone helped you at with getting your car back together. With all my years of karting, I don't think I've ever seen a group of racers so willing to help others. Makes me happy to drive an SM :thumbsup:
  • Caveman-kwebb99 and tLinder like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Race Engineering

Race Engineering

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Number:48
Thanks for posting Keith, SM folks are always willing to help. Makes you glad to be a part of SM.

Chris Graham
Race Engineering - Championship Proven
(864) 542-4018 chris@raceengineering.org

davearm

davearm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:66
Great story. I am always a little reluctant to ask ask for help at the track, I figure that everyone has their hands full with their own problems. Hopefully won't need to in the future.

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Thanks for posting Keith, SM folks are always willing to help. Makes you glad to be a part of SM.

I'll never forget my first National and first trip to Sebring. I hope I can make the trip to Sebring every January.

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Great story. I am always a little reluctant to ask ask for help at the track, I figure that everyone has their hands full with their own problems. Hopefully won't need to in the future.

You are right they all did have their own problems, they also were willing to help a fellow racer in need of some help. SM is great.

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

Big crash coming onto front straight after restart on lap 10. 6 or 8 cars damaged. Went under yellow and finished that way.

My view of the crash aftermath involving Keith, Stephan, and others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmN7QxKWrjQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
Nice job missing that tire.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
There are a lot of nice pictures up here! Thanks Whitey!

Jim

https://picasaweb.go...306619885799616

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

JRagaglia

JRagaglia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:CFR
Hi All
I just want to take a moment to thank all that attended! It was great having you guys. I really hope you all had a good time and had FUN. I was personally too busy to get a chance to watch much racing at all, but I hear it was intense.

Congrats Jim on your podium finish in SM and your win in STL. Congrats to all the other podium finishers who visit this site.

It was an honor to put this weekend program together and get the support that we recieved.

Myself and the whole CFR thank you for your support.

Jack

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
Well, it looks like the E-Street gang have picked up right where they left off (or better) last year. Quite impressive indeed.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Sorry its taken so long to get here but wanted to post beofre we get to Homestead tomorrow

What a difference a year makes! Last year Chip, Andrew and I owned the weekend. This year I was struggling to hang on. In Race 1, I finished 6th and in Race 2 I was closer. I ran as high as 3rd but lost a crank sensor on last 2 laps and fell back to 8th.

First off - Todd Buras is one helluva wheelman. He was untouchable the entire weekend. When he ran 2.34.4 in practice we almost all went home, but he was 60 lbs underweight. None of us got close to him all weekend, except for Craig Berry who also had a great weekend and was able to get to Todds bumper in Race 2.

Pat Sandlin also had an awesome weekend. That man can drive. 60 years old, soon to be a grad dad, and on the pole both days. Damn I love this class (and especially when I read Keith's story above)

As stated above we all love the Hoosiers. Top 5 ran under the lap record on both days. Mid packers loved them, back packers loved them too. Didnt hear one complaint. Perfect right out the box. No shaving! Yeeehaha!!

Having the entire East Street Gang under the OPM tent was awesome. Clean racing all weekend. Some of Andrews passes on Drago were fun to watch. Drago has a vbery pretty car and was not too keen to rub it up. I had some fun times with Drago in Race 2, but he was struggling with fat AFR and LSD issues.

Move of the weekend happened in Race 1 when Nick Leverone wheeled his under-powered car into 3rd place at the start. Then a train including Drago, Charbonneau, Steyn, Sandlin and Bolanos steamrolled him in T13 and Nick went from 3rd to 8th in one turn. I have never seen so many cars steam roll another car all in one turn. I will edit that clip and post as soon as I can. PS Nick can wheel a car too. And it was so great that he brought so many Flat-out guys down from the NEDiv. Props also to Wheeler who also brough a bunch of Advanced Autosport guys down from the CenDiv. To Dave and Nick and all the guys that traveled so far to make this race, thansk - great to see you all there. This quad weekend is growing - 62 at Sebring and 40 at Homestead tomorrow!!!!!!

Young Selin Roaln was quick and was up there both days - nice kid and he will do well. Nate Sparks unfortunately never showed his form. First time to Sebring and was quick, but got held up both days. My Rossini team-mate Alex Bolanos never had the opportunity to show his form either. Missed test day and never really had the setup. Will be quick when sorted, make no mistake.

Anyway, in case you are not sure, a 1.6 cleaned our clock both days, and unfortunately I am sure that if he shows up at Homestead, Todd will end up with 4 wins in 4 races. Just in case you haven't heard just how great Todd's car sounds, this should give you an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzXVLbs41Ew

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
That thing is insane!!!!
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Whats insane is the people who get in it with there head flopping around against a steal roll cage!

Thanks for the write up Danny! Now for race video!!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40

Whats insane is the people who get in it with there head flopping around against a steal roll cage!

LOL, so much for "leave no trace" in the outdoors - he's taking out trees with no helmet! It is an amazing vehicle and the driving is pretty impressive too.

On another topic, I was just reading today's update on the Circuit of the Americas from http://www.statesman..._formula_austin

I was amused at this sentence: "One engineer told us that for every 4 meters of track, there cannot be more than 2 millimeters of undulation." Curious as to whether Sebring's new FIA compliance efforts will include that standard in T1 and T17... :scratchchin: :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users