Photo

Chumpcar to Spec miata need to know how!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

cgm12mgc

cgm12mgc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car Year:2006
  • Car Number:43
so we started our race team 2 years ago with Chumpcar, since then we are looking to get into a higher skill level wheel to wheel racing. I have done some research and found that we would like to move over to spec miata, however, need the inside scoop on how to start, get licensed ect...

building a car will not be an issue, just need details! should it be a 1.6 NA, 1.8 NA, NB? NC?

so to keep this short, what do i need to do who do i need to get in contact with?

our race team site is www.rabidpenguin.com just incase you guys would like to check it out

Thanks all!
Charles

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Buy/build a car, get your regional license, sign up for your first event! Ok all kidding aside, do a search on this site and your questons will be answered on no less than 50 old threads...give yourself a couple hrs :D good luck and welcome!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

cgm12mgc

cgm12mgc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car Year:2006
  • Car Number:43
lol good old search function, will do!

forestdweller37

forestdweller37

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Des Moines Valley
  • Car Year:1994
The Competition Director and Regional Executive of my local SCCA region were very happy to help walk me through the steps when I wanted to make the jump last year. Check in with them for your region.

Some helpful links:
http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/
http://www.scca.com/...t.cfm?cid=44471

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
In addition you might want to get yourself a copy of Dave Wheeler's construction manual from Advanced Autosports. In addition to info on building a SM, it also has things like licensing and medical forms, routine maintenance, typical spares to bring, and other useful info in one place.

One notable thing I found the hard way: Join the SCCA between racing seasons, not during it. Your membership and license will always expire on the date you joined, not the date you renew. That can be very inconvenient if it's mid season and you realize you have to go get a new physical, an EKG if your BP is up that day, etc. and you have limited time before your next race.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

trekkor

trekkor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
Same spot here.

8 LeMons races and many years as an HPDE instructor with multiple clubs.
1,000's of laps at TH and Sears. Several hundred laps at Laguna and Reno-Fernley.

In the build process with Todd and looking forward to running with NASA.

KT
Crew for Todd Tagget #42 ( future co-driver! )
Let me set your tile!~ http://www.willstile.com

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47
So we actually did this... We started with a $400 miata that we built for Lemons, but with a spec miata cage, to make the transition as easy as possible. We raced at the Decemner lemons race at Buttonwillow in 2010. My 18 year old daughter got her SCCA license. My 17 year old son got his NASA license and he ran the Mazda teen challenge in 2011. We slowly improved the car throughout the season and ended the year consistently around the top 10 finishes fron 8-12 in Norcal and SOCAL. It's not as hard as you might think. I have a blog about more details in the blog section if your interested.
  • Charlie Hayes likes this

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Solid donor cars are key! You don't want to build a car and chase mechanical/electrical problems when the previous hack car owner tried to be Mr. Mechanic. Try and find a completely STOCK car.
  • john mueller likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91
SCCA's new license process may help you a lot. If you can convince your local licensing official that you have learned a lot from your Lemons/Chump experience, they may shorten the path for licensure a LOT!
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

so we started our race team 2 years ago with Chumpcar, since then we are looking to get into a higher skill level wheel to wheel racing. I have done some research and found that we would like to move over to spec miata, however, need the inside scoop on how to start, get licensed ect...

so to keep this short, what do i need to do who do i need to get in contact with?

Thanks all!
Charles

Same spot here.

8 LeMons races and many years as an HPDE instructor with multiple clubs.
1,000's of laps at TH and Sears. Several hundred laps at Laguna and Reno-Fernley.

In the build process with Todd and looking forward to running with NASA.

KT

Guys, PM me some info about yourself and racing history and I'll fwd it to the appropriate NASA regional folks so they can contact you and work it out.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users