pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
So, with the first big National over, what is everyone's opinion on the new tire?

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Everyone I talked to loved them.. Seem to last pretty long as well. But Sebring is pretty easy on Tires.. I suspect Homestead will be a better test as it is pretty tough on tires if memory serves me correctly?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57
Fantastic, finally we are on a real race tire (with great BFG Super Tour contingency I might add)

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
And without getting into a parity debate... Many ( myself included) were concerned what the Hoosier may do to the 1.6. I watched first hand as they sped the car up over a second over the Toyos. Many are probably unaware, but the track at Sebring was slightly reconfigured for FIA approval, so turn one was about 5-6 MPH slower than years past , the tire wall was moved inwards at 17, not sure how that effected lap time, but it didn't help. So the fact that the track record was lowered by a second or more with 5-7 guys under the old one speaks volumes about the Hoosiers.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

guest driver

guest driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:11
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:90
Pat;
everyone's a hero on new Hoosiers (1st and 2nd heat cycles), the challenge for the drivers will be to adjust their driving style and car set up to maintain corner speed on the 4th, 5th and 6th heat cycles, trying to stay within .5 sec of their previous times on the fresher tires, few have the experience to do this.
Very few (Buras) can handle that into the 7th - 8th heat cycles.

What Drago says above is about - 1.5 sec per lap faster than last years tire given the slightly reconfigured T17 and the 3 less H.P. from last year for the 99's,
1.6's still unknown, probably close or the same?
Homestead should be more telling.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

the challenge for the drivers will be to adjust their driving style and car set up to maintain corner speed on the 4th, 5th and 6th heat cycles

Duh, just buy more tires... and more... and more....
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

D Tesch

D Tesch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:milw
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:3
Lets wait until races are run at road america to see what effect the changes have made! That will be the test!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Lets wait until races are run at road america to see what effect the changes have made! That will be the test!

Yeah, that should settle everything :prayer: :crying2: :bash: ... Same cars/ same drivers will yield same results. Regardless of the tires we run, regardless of whether we use this years rules or last. If you want to win in any car at those two events, you better career the car or be living right. :noidea:

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
I was hearing from a good driver at a fall enuro that they seemed very consistent through his 2 hr stint which would have put them at about 4 heat cycles, feeling about the same at the end as the start. Were people finding they were more consistent than the Toyos throughout individual sessions or they'd fall off late in the race?
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:33 - San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:40 ;-)
I bought a set of Hoosiers for our 4hr enduro a few weeks ago.

Practiced on them
Qual'd pole on them
Lap 7 was faster than qual
3rd lap from the end was faster than lap 7
Ran a test day on them. 3rd session time was .5 faster than the enduro fast lap.

I have absolutely nothing but positive things to say about these tires. Very consistent from sticker to EOL (which takes a while!)
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

2 hr stint which would have put them at about 4 heat cycles

Interesting. So 30 minutes equals 1 heat cycle?

I've been subscribing to the theory that a heat cycle was the incidence of bringing the tire to operating temperature and back to ambient temp, regardless of duration of time. Obviously 2 hours will account for more treadwear but does it multiply heat cycling too?

Is Saul Speedwell lurking?
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Interesting. So 30 minutes equals 1 heat cycle?

I've been subscribing to the theory that a heat cycle was the incidence of bringing the tire to operating temperature and back to ambient temp, regardless of duration of time. Obviously 2 hours will account for more treadwear but does it multiply heat cycling too?

Is Saul Speedwell lurking?

Your thoughts would be correct about a "heat cycle".

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA