- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Kermit21

Kermit21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I just bought my first Spec Miata. While attempting and alignment check I could only get -1 degree camber in the drivers front wheel. When compared to the passangers side the bottom of the ball joint was closer to the brake rotor. As with many of these cars, it came with a box of spare parts which included 2 other ball joints. When all three were placed on the table each had a different angle in the casting (not the part that moves). Each also had a different single digit number cast into it. Eack look in good condition with no obvious signs of damage or bending. I replaced the one on the car with one of the spares and was able to get my alignment to about -2.3 degrees on both sides.

Do these ball joints come in different angles or were thy all bent. I contacted the previous owner had no knowledge of different angle joints being available.

Thanks,

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59
Are you referring to the ball joint or the steering knuckle? I suspect you are referring to the steering knuckle. As far as I know they all come from the factory with the same basic spec. They are definitely prone to getting bent though, and that could definitely affect the amount of camber you are able to get. Both good and bad, if you know what i mean. ;)
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
Pretty common problem especially with the LF...replace LCA and the UCA (with the updated 99) and it might fix your problem....something is more than likely bent. Also could be the subframe. I was stuck at 2 and now have over 3....

Bill-
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
99 upper control arm won't work the ball joint is different.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users