Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Delta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:77
In a race yesterday, my car finished ahead of the following car by a car lenght or two, far enough that the front grill of his car is plainly visible in my rearview mirror on the incar video I took, but the time keeper says the following car's transponder reportedly finished ahead of my car. The car ahead of me confirms I was next behind him, and the following car readily admits my car finished ahead of his. So, my view, my camera's view, and both the car ahead and the car behind agree: I finished ahead of this other car.

WARNING: This will sound like a really dumb question.

AS between 2 cars finishing a race, How is your finishing order determined: the order in which the cars cross the finish line (when it is clearly obvious), or the order which the transponders report the results to the tower?

FYI, I finished 3rd, so it's not a major deal except I would like to know (and I need to check my transponder location and function). Thanks!

Dave Cox

Dave Cox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Region:Blackhawk Valley
  • Car Number:23
In SCCA I was always told the transponders were used to time cars not to score them, and that is why there is not a mandated location to place them. Transponder location should not affect finishing order. If that is changing there will be a lot of transponder locations changing soon.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Races are scored electronically, however the finish of a race is supposed to be scored both electronically AND visually to ensure that the placement of a transponder does not change the outcome of the race.

Do you know if the scoring line at the track you raced at is the same as the start finish line? Not all tracks are the same. Is it possible that the car behind you at start/finish passed you after the race finished and before the scoring line? That did happen to me at Pocono one time, we all read it on the results and all parties involved reported it to the Operating Steward for correction and it was corrected.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Thanks to all of you who have answered. The car behind me never passed me, even after the race was over. There is no passing after the checkered flag, so the placement of the electric timing device would not affect this.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
Reggie,

As your race was not with any nationally sanctioned organized body, you need to understand the local track rules governing the electronic vs. visual scoring. I can't imagine it being a big deal for the "organizer" to adjust the finish if all parties agree. Did you discuss with whoever at the track keeps track of this while you were there?

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I spoke to the driver ahead and the driver behind before they left the track, and both agreed with my understanding. The track reportedly was using a new computer program which apparently worked off the transponder information. While waiting for weigh-in after the race, the tower radioed for the corner worker to tell me to go back to the pits, and not be weighed because I wasn't in the top 4 (which I was). I explained to the corner worker, who relayed the message to the tower, but I never got a "decision" until today, by email. They went ahead and weighed my car, as the car behind me wasn't instructed to be weighed, and he did not get weighed.

In this instance one of the cars ahead of mine didn't make minimum weight because the driver had thought the lowered 2012 weights had been adopted. Because his car was DQ'd that moved up my car to 3rd. As the world turns, the results of this race are not important, but I didn't know how these things were decided until now, so I asked. I'm learning and having fun, enjoying the process.

All this has worked out as it should have because the Steward had taken a physical count of the cars as they passed the finish line-as these posts have suggested they should- and he will manually override the electronic report to Mylaps. Thanks for your interest.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03
Glad it worked out for you.

I am confused though. You guys are running Hoosiers but not 2012 weights and plates? Are these rules written down or is it seat of the pants over there?

It would be logical and make the most sense to just adopt the SCCA rules entirely.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA