51 replies to this topic

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Hey Guys,

If the rules don't allow mods to the head, and you have to use OEM parts, what makes a race prepped head better than a standard stock head?

Not looking for someones super special secrets, but a general conversation on why I should spend $1500 for someones special head as opposed to taking my stock head to a good automotive machinist.

Thanks
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Today's phrase is "tech shed legal". If it can't be proven illegal then it's legal. Get use to it as you'll hear the phrase used to justify all sorts of shenanigans.

I highly recommend employing someone who specializes in SM heads, rather than any "good automotive machinist". A dedicated SM engine builder knows "tech shed legal".

In closing, are you familiar with the phrase "don't bring a knife to a gun fight"?
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Today's phrase is "tech shed legal". If it can't be proven illegal then it's legal. Get use to it as you'll hear the phrase used to justify all sorts of shenanigans.

I highly recommend employing someone who specializes in SM heads, rather than any "good automotive machinist".

In closing, are you familiar with the phrase "don't bring a knife to a gun fight"?

+1000000

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
It is my understanding that the $1,500.00 will get you super special secrets + new valves, seals, maybe springs if needed....... other replacable parts. If you are using a crate head, I would assume the price would be lower, since you are just paying for the special secrets/machine work.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
No thanks, I have no interest in trying to skirt the spirit of the GCR's. I have interest in building a good driver that is capable of advancing to even higher levels of motorsports. So if the answer is that good race heads can't be found to be out of compliance, I have no interest. If the answer was that a good race head had more attention to legal detail, then I'm interested.

And then when a great driver with a knife is able to hold his own with drivers with a .45 , I'll be proud. You guys take the trophies, we will trake the experience.
  • wesmc likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
This is going down hill fast. Your in SoCal, talk with Luis@Rush Motorsports...

Sorry to let you know, but building a car to the max limit of the rules is the only way to win in this class. Driving counts big time but so does car prep! A few hp shows...
  • john mueller likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Matthew Wolfe

Matthew Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:CDR
  • Car Number:73

And then when a great driver with a knife is able to hold his own with drivers with a .45 , I'll be proud. You guys take the trophies, we will trake the experience.

Couldn’t of said it better myself, other than I am still planning on taking my fair share of trophies.

Chris Adams

Chris Adams

Rep. of Lexington, KY

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:NASA-GL
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:187
The unfortunate truth is that there is an unfair advantage in every level/form of motorsports with any sort of rulebook, Jamz. The best you can do is to put your best foot forward whether that's with a crate, built, or junkyard part and remember, as you have said, experience speaks louder than money.

With that being said, a wise friend of mine has always quoted, "If you are going to race, you should go first class."

If it's worth doing, its worth doing well and doing right.
Chris Adams
90' SM
NASA-GL #187 SM

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

Sorry to let you know, but building a car to the max limit of the rules is the only way to win in this class. Driving counts big time but so does car prep! A few hp shows...

+1

A bad driver is bad in any car. An excellent driver can win in an excellent car. An excellent driver can be competitive but likely wont win in a car that is not built to the max or near max of the rules. That is the reality...
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Someone alert Diogenes.

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
Give Bob Thorton a call at Race Engineering (704) 202-5551 he can help you get a great engine program started. With it being 100% legal no ifs and or buts. :king:
  • Alberto likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Chris Adams

Chris Adams

Rep. of Lexington, KY

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:NASA-GL
  • Car Number:187

Someone alert Diogenes.

Had to google that one... :scratchchin:
Chris Adams
90' SM
NASA-GL #187 SM

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

advancing to even higher levels of motorsports

Unfortunately exploiting "gray areas'" advances at higher levels too.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

No thanks, I have no interest in trying to skirt the spirit of the GCR's. I have interest in building a good driver that is capable of advancing to even higher levels of motorsports. So if the answer is that good race heads can't be found to be out of compliance, I have no interest. If the answer was that a good race head had more attention to legal detail, then I'm interested.

Don't believe everything you read...
The head rules are spelled out very clearly. Most everything can be measured at this point. I don't think there is near the "skirting" of rules etc that many claim. Get a head from a reputable person who knows the rules, has the appropriate tooling etc. In my experience, most non SM machine shops don't do the work at the level required to make power in SM. While no special tooling is required, it sure helps to do a better job. Many use a torque plate on the head when doing the valve job to insure a proper valve seal when the head is torqued, have tools made for the various relief cuts and plunge cuts etc.

If you are close to Rush, they will do you a good job, as will many other reputable SM vendors..

As far as developing your skills etc, but what has been said above is the truth., 2-3 HP shows up. I would be suprised if you got that close with a non SM machine shop doing your head on the first try, we didn't.

Jim
  • dstevens, JBlaisdell and wesmc like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Drago,

Thanks, sound advice.

Others, I said that I have no interest in skirting the spirit of the rules. I didn't say that I won't take advantage of the rules where I can. But the rules are clear when it comes to the heads ( Moose, I see no Gray area here). Expertise with machining heads within the rules, no problem. Doing something that can't be validated but goes against the GCRs, I'll let everyone degrade the topic with opinions on that. I've seen all the comments before coming up through the karting ranks and I will not get into the philosophy of GCR's.

I absolutely know and expect that skirting the rules doesn't stop as you progress in classes. We come from the pro kart ranks and there were guys there that spend more money in karting than the top guys here in SM, just to get their kid that trophy. So I am not delusional about what is going on. But again, no interest in that at this level. We use SM for great, low cost seat time to keep a driver crisp and sharp.

I will digress with one comment though; Chris, since when is violating the spirit of the GCR's going first class? I understand your comment and believe in what I think you mean 100%. But I don't considering cheating as going first class. Now everyone can begin the same old arguements I've seen here and on other forums about what cheating is.

Please know that I am new here and I don't wish to offend good people here. Just that I have seen this before and don't want to do it again.
  • Ralt66 likes this

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Number:60

Hey Guys,

If the rules don't allow mods to the head, and you have to use OEM parts, what makes a race prepped head better than a standard stock head?

Not looking for someones super special secrets, but a general conversation on why I should spend $1500 for someones special head as opposed to taking my stock head to a good automotive machinist.

Thanks

Jamz:
It seems to be generally accepted that an old (origional) 1.6 head is a better candidate for making the best tech shed performer versus a new crate motor head. Apparently some of the very early heads are the best candidates for techno reasons that builders like Jim Drago, Bob Thornton or my engine guy (plug, plug) Jim Stewart can explain.
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year