9 replies to this topic

German Fomin

German Fomin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car Year:2005
Hey guys (and girls)
My name is German, I live near Chicago and I have a few questions.
My uncle is a rally driver in Kazakhstan, he is a double champion, and quite possibly one of the best drivers in Kazakhstan. His name is Denis Aksenov and he wants to race in US in a few championships.
So here come the questions:
1) Is there a way to rent a SM car for one race?
2) Do you need a racing license to compete? If Yes, will his Kazakh one do? (will provide translation)
3) How much will it cost to sign up for the race?
Here is an article about him: http://proautosport....senov_5065.html
Thank you for looking at this topic.
P.S. He plans on competing near Chicago (Road America, Autobahn CC and any other track within 400 miles or so from Chicago)

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
Hey German

very cool. Lots of teams have Spec Miata's for rent. I race with Tom Fowler of OPM Autosports out of Atlanta Georgia and they offer race-winning arrive-and drive-rentals at most of the major events. Approximate cost for a full weekend including test days will range from $2,000 - $3,500 assuming of course there is no crash damage. Speak to Tom, one of the nicest guys in this sport, and he can advise actual costs, whats included and what's not.

Regarding his Kazakh motor-sports license, in most countries there is a way to get an equivalent license issued by the sports sanctioning body based on the drivers experience, and in your uncle's case this should be no problem. I suggest you approach SCCA directly - you will find them very helpful.

Hope he comes over to race - you will find this crowd very welcoming and fun to hang with. Having a foreign rally driver race with us will be a big deal for us.

Now just get your uncle to tell us what we need to race in Kazakhstan!!!! And Fowler, this is a trip that needs to be planned!!!!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Hey German

very cool. Lots of teams have Spec Miata's for rent. I race with Tom Fowler of OPM Autosports out of Atlanta Georgia and they offer race-winning arrive-and drive-rentals at most of the major events. Approximate cost for a full weekend including test days will range from $2,000 - $3,500 assuming of course there is no crash damage. Speak to Tom, one of the nicest guys in this sport, and he can advise actual costs, whats included and what's not.

Regarding his Kazakh motor-sports license, in most countries there is a way to get an equivalent license issued by the sports sanctioning body based on the drivers experience, and in your uncle's case this should be no problem. I suggest you approach SCCA directly - you will find them very helpful.

Hope he comes over to race - you will find this crowd very welcoming and fun to hang with. Having a foreign rally driver race with us will be a big deal for us.

Now just get your uncle to tell us what we need to race in Kazakhstan!!!! And Fowler, this is a trip that needs to be planned!!!!

What Danny said, but I suggest he get in touch with Dave Wheeler @ Advanced Autosports http://advanced-autosports.com/ as they are close to the area he will be located

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
What Glenn said. No love from my friend Mr. Steyn.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
The phone is quiet, so I can type for the moment.

Yes, we rent cars and are near Rockford Illinois.

He will need a racing license from a USA club. Sometimes you can get a license issued based on past experience. But I would start that process asap. I would recomend that he go through a school anyways. Great seat time to get accustom to the Miata.

2011 Rental prices are listed on my website. There will be some changes for 2012, but not huge. Rentals include fuel, tires, at track support etc. They do not cover entry fees, crash damage or personal safety equipment.

Our 2012 schedule is posted at www.advanced-autosports.com

All my contact info is below.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:30

No love from my friend Mr. Steyn.

You can't go wrong with either OPM or Advanced. I've done business with both.

In Danny's defense, he uses OPM (Atlanta) in spite of the fact that he's in Ft. Lauderdale, which is only 50 miles closer to Atlanta than Chicago is. I am admittedly Southeast biased, but we've got a pretty damn good selection of tracks and an 11 month racing season.

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
While I have never had any prior racing dealings with Dave. If I was going to look into a rental for a track near Chicago, Dave at Advanced would be my first call. Simply because of his proximity to the racing venues in that area. I know that OPM races at some of those venues but that happens very infrequently, which reduces the availability to rent from them on any given weekend. If I was going to be racing at ATL, OPM is a no brainer :)

K. Webb