14 replies to this topic

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1990
Well after recently attending the Bondurant 3 day grand prix school, I am now determined to get into wheel to wheel instead of just DEs. The only problem is... I'm not sure what route I should go with my current Miata, if I should change it around to fit into a specific class, or just sell it and buy an already sorted SM/IT car.

It is a 1990 w/ a 6 point cage, koni shocks/FM springs, a 1999 1.8L motor, 02 sport brakes, and a few other things here and there. To get into SM, it will need all new suspension (coilovers, swaybars), I will need to change the brakes back to the 1990, and unless I am mistaken, I cannot run a 1999 1.8L motor in the 1990 chasis. I will also need to add a few things like doorbars on each side, rear tray, and a few other misc. items to get it to meet the GCR for either NASA or SCCA.

With NASA, I could probably run PTE with the current setup, but apparently there isnt much action in PT in Florida. Is there an equivalent class in SCCA where I can run a motor swap'ed Miata where I'd be somewhat competitive, or have a chance in hell at keeping up?

Any advice would be appreciated, as I am not sure what to do at this juncture... sell the car and buy a SM car or some other IT car where there is some competition.

Thanks everyone,

-Scott

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32
Sell the car, buy a built SM. You will lose time and much money trying to modify it to SM. If you lke to build cars, still sell the car and buy a donor and build it to SM from the ground (but this is more expensive than buying a build SM).

Cnj
  • James York likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Sell the car, buy a built SM. You will lose time and much money trying to modify it to SM. If you lke to build cars, still sell the car and buy a donor and build it to SM from the ground (but this is more expensive than buying a build SM).

Cnj

+1

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

trey

trey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:SCCA Houston
  • Car Year:2006
  • Car Number:5
If your attached to your car , you can run 99 motor in a 90 chassis in SCCA STL

If your not attached to it , sell it and buy a lightly used SM

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

If your attached to your car , you can run 99 motor in a 90 chassis in SCCA STL

If your not attached to it , sell it and buy a lightly used SM

Hm, I like that idea... sounds like it may be cheaper than selling mine and buying an SM, at least to get my feet wet with wheel to wheel. Plus, I think I overpaid for my car, and I dont think I could get what I would want for it ($6,500).

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59
You want to race in the SM class. That's where the competition is, and that is why we are all racing these cars. Bite the bullet now, sell the car and try not to rethink decisions you already made. JMHO
  • Jim Drago likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

smbstyle

smbstyle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

You want to race in the SM class. That's where the competition is, and that is why we are all racing these cars. Bite the bullet now, sell the car and try not to rethink decisions you already made. JMHO

Yeah, looking at the number of entries in the NASA and SCCA SM classes down here in FL, there is plenty of competition.

The one thing though is the huge difference in prices between cars; anywhere from $7k for a stock motor spec miata to a $32k championship winning car, do you really need THAST much coin to be competitive? I'm hoping to spend in the $10k area and have something that is capable of being mid-pack.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

+1

+2
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Cnj

Exactly. Go for a lower end, but safe and reliable SM. No need to go for the upper rung until you find out if you really do like running nose to tail, wheel to wheel for 40 minutes with groups of 30-40 crazy miata drivers. If it's for you, you can upgrade after you get some time under your belt. Seat time is way more important than having a top flight car in the beginning.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA