JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:48
Well since some time has passed, I thought I would share my wild ride down the side of the track from the July NASA race at Mid-Ohio. I was very lucky not to hit anything, and still salvage a good finish. Open to any criticism, enjoy.

• Speedycrw likes this

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Marc Cefalo

Marc Cefalo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Region:NEPA
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:#00
Without seeing other video from behind, IMO you did nothing wrong. Granted the video quality is not the best, it appears that you stayed in the middle and did not move to the right against the outside pole sitter. You definitely used up all the good luck that weekend by not hitting the wall or getting collected by other cars....

Marc Cefalo

www.planet-miata.com

570-262-1013 direct

#1 source for new and used Miata parts and accessories.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
Still dizzy...
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Justin,
How do you pronounce your last name? Hill or Hill-E?
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
I think the camera car is probably not at fault here. Looks like his steering was steady when the trailing car jumped to the right and into him. Who knows if the other guy was touched or what happened.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
Great drive. I would say that anyone that wants to go faster at M-O can use the portions where you are not in traffic as a great training tape. Very well done.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Jim, it's Hill-E

Tom, thank you :)

My exhaust fell apart more and more throughout the race, by the end of it the system was hanging on by a couple hangers and no longer by the header. Just the studs were kind of holding it in place....That curb coming out of the carousel did it initially, then a big push by dan fargo knocked it loose the rest of the way (like a boost button in the video)

1999 Spec Miata

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Did you have any discussion with the other driver after the race? Outcome?
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
Pretty impressive TRIPPLE AXLE!! Nice recovery and good run to move up.
  • Jim Drago likes this

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Nsparks

Nsparks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Car Number:#12
What a noob. Look at you driving all noob like and stuff. :whistling:

At 5:48! :prayer:
At 8:19 you are obviously using a sequential gearbox.
  • Michael Colangelo likes this

Nate Sparks 

2016 Global Mazda Invitational Champion

2016 MX-5 Cup Champion

2011 NASA SM National Champion
2010 13 Hour Winner
2009-2011 TMC East Coast Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Chris Adams

Chris Adams

Rep. of Lexington, KY

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:NASA-GL
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:187
Justin, we need to upgrade your camera to at least a first edition GoPro this year :)

Crazy race, good driving, I can tell you were hustling it back up to the front!

I promise to help you acheive a quadupel axel next season... if you qualifiy in front of me :-P
Chris Adams
90' SM
NASA-GL #187 SM

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I do need to upgrade to a gopro. That camcorder has good quality before I size it down for uploading.

Nate- I have a lot of buttons in my car, I never told you the one puts it in sequential mode..it malfunctioned when you beat me at Road Atlanta :crying2:

Chris- I didn't see you at the track enough last year, you coming back more this year??

1999 Spec Miata

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

I think the camera car is probably not at fault here. Looks like his steering was steady when the trailing car jumped to the right and into him. Who knows if the other guy was touched or what happened.

Fault or not, he ended up out of contention and with a damaged car. If I had held it steady every time someone tried to squeeze me, I'd have taken this ride at least 25 times. (Where are the "Safety First" people? Shouldn't you swerve out of everyone's way and keep maximum distance from all other cars?!?!?)

Regardless of who is to blame... defending against the guy who is "wrong" is still important if you want to live to fight another day and not do bodywork. (Avoiding incidents also makes it easier to keep friendships).

My worth-what-you-paid-for-it armchair opinion: If you SAW him getting too close, you should have moved right to save yourself. If you had no idea he was there, you did nothing "wrong" but you might consider whether different mirrors or more situtational awareness would have allowed you to win the race?

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44
Impressive recovery from the monster spin. I was counting the cars you were passing but I ran out of fingers and couldn't get my shoes off fast enough to keep count! :noidea:

Great driving!

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I was at this race but at mid pack and did not see the incident only the aftermath. No opinions or conclusions from me about fault. Personally, I do not like the idea generally of looking at video and with all the coolness of hindsight and lack of spontaneity coming to judgment about fault. It’s not the same as being there for the first time in the heat of battle not knowing what is going to happen next and having the ability to rewind it over and over.

Anyway to the point, regardless of fault, or if you are in the right or not, moving out of the way to avoid contact is my rule of thumb, Can't win if you’re going to wreck.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
The point of view of #61 du jour is conspicuously absent.

(Where are the "Safety First" people? Shouldn't you swerve out of everyone's way and keep maximum distance from all other cars?!?!?)

Where's the testoterone-fueled, irrationally exuberant, cowboy-wannabe fun in that?

Chris Adams

Chris Adams

Rep. of Lexington, KY

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:NASA-GL
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:187

I do need to upgrade to a gopro. That camcorder has good quality before I size it down for uploading.

Nate- I have a lot of buttons in my car, I never told you the one puts it in sequential mode..it malfunctioned when you beat me at Road Atlanta :crying2:

Chris- I didn't see you at the track enough last year, you coming back more this year??

Yep, I'll be at 3 events (Putnam, July MO, Aug MO) plus the Championships!
Chris Adams
90' SM
NASA-GL #187 SM

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

The point of view of #61 du jour is conspicuously absent.

Where's the testoterone-fueled, irrationally exuberant, cowboy-wannabe fun in that?

If we want to go the route who is at fault who isn't that is fine, but was not my intention (kinda why I waited so long to post). At this point I don't think it matters who was at fault. It was a learning experience for both of us, and very luckily nothing and no one was hurt.

1999 Spec Miata

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I'm just asking if you discussed this incident with the other driver (I'm guessing yes), and wondered what the other driver's perspective is (I'm guessing he doesn't wish to comment). Being a NASA event I imagine an incident report was filed (61 moved to last?)

PS: I think it does matter.

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56
The 61 was moved to last for passing after side to side contact with #87. Since it matters
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users